Sign in to follow this  
Blue Baron

Improvement of the FSX experience

Hello,

I am not in a current position to upgrade to the new MSFS2020 platform, so I am working to enable my FSX sim to last a while longer. I am using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Memory 4096 MB. Processor Intel 3.10GHz (4 CPUS)... and the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980.

The video card needs to change, but I would like to install an updated replacement card that can operate within the computer's parameters. I use McAfee as my AntiVirus app. Any suggestions on a card based on personal experience will be sincerely appreciated.

Unfortunately you're CPU limited. A video card change won't do anything for performance. The 980 you have now is far more than your CPU can feed.

• Like 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

10 hours ago, Blue Baron said:

I am working to enable my FSX sim to last a while longer.

Hi,

If you haven’t already done so, it’s also worth optimising FSX by following the recommendations step by step in the Avsim FSX Configuration guide.

Bill

Edited by scianoir

11 hours ago, Blue Baron said:

Hello,

I am not in a current position to upgrade to the new MSFS2020 platform, so I am working to enable my FSX sim to last a while longer. I am using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Memory 4096 MB. Processor Intel 3.10GHz (4 CPUS)... and the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980.

The video card needs to change, but I would like to install an updated replacement card that can operate within the computer's parameters. I use McAfee as my AntiVirus app. Any suggestions on a card based on personal experience will be sincerely appreciated.

The GTX 980 is more than capable for FSX.  A CPU with 4 cores running at 3.10 GHz is weak for FSX.  Also, 4 GB of RAM with a 64-bit operating system is also weak and very limiting.  I see two options, either pony up the money for a new computer that meets your desired level of compatibility with MSFS or upgrade your CPU and increase the RAM to at least 8 GB (two 4 GB sticks).

• Like 2

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

On 4/24/2021 at 2:34 PM, stans said:

The GTX 980 is more than capable for FSX.  A CPU with 4 cores running at 3.10 GHz is weak for FSX.  Also, 4 GB of RAM with a 64-bit operating system is also weak and very limiting.  I see two options, either pony up the money for a new computer that meets your desired level of compatibility with MSFS or upgrade your CPU and increase the RAM to at least 8 GB (two 4 GB sticks).

But... was it so that FSX does not recognize more than 4GB of RAM so that's waste of money. Also CPU is quite strong for an 2007 application. I would go software wise by using Simstarter freeware or payware. With 20 euros investment you spare money for nrw addons. 

2 minutes ago, Nurmblitz said:

But... was it so that FSX does not recognize more than 4GB of RAM so that's waste of money.

Well, that is not entirely true.. FSX is limited to 4 GB of virtual address space, not RAM.  Having said that, it might be worth tracking how much RAM is being used when flying to determine if more RAM would be of use..

Having said that, the CPU is likely to be the limiting component in this system.

The OP has not really explained what he is trying to improve, so we are flying blind here.. 🙂

• Upvote 1

Bert

3 hours ago, Nurmblitz said:

But... was it so that FSX does not recognize more than 4GB of RAM so that's waste of money. Also CPU is quite strong for an 2007 application. I would go software wise by using Simstarter freeware or payware. With 20 euros investment you spare money for nrw addons. 

True, FSX can only use a maximum of 4 GB of RAM, but if Windows and any background processes and programs eat up 5 GB, then FSX will have only 3 GB available.  You might be ok at 8 GB of RAM, but as Bert pointed out, check to see how much RAM is being used when flying.

A 3.1 GHz quad core CPU is limiting you.  FSX runs best on CPU's with at least four cores all running at 4 or more GHz.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

There's always the option of manipulating the FSX.cfg  Since I'm using a low rent outdated computer, I've started to use many different FSX configs for different scenarios and it definitely makes a difference.

- minimizing clouds/weather

- adjusting image complexity and autogen

- adjusting AI traffic and completely avoiding default AI

- perhaps using the HIMEMFIX=1

- adjust the frame rate limit and experiment with fixed frame rate and unlimited frame rate.  

- flying the default airplanes is far less demanding, and if big iron is desired then use the default jets.

- I've experimented with flying in different FSX areas, and avoiding big cities altogether is much easier on the computer.  The Australian outback, many different areas of Brazil and the Argentine Pampas, the plains states of Canada and the USA, Russia, Africa.  Investing in Orbx Global and flying in these areas can be very enjoyable and far less demanding.