Sign in to follow this  
chickster25

When will there be a PC to run MSFS?

Been building computers for many years and the situation has never been as bad as it currently is. And have been for a while now. Spent the last few months upgrading my 4 yr old system - i7-8086K running at 5,0 and a 1080Ti. Was goin to wait on upgrade until the GPU shortage situation stabilized, but when a 3090 appeared I couldn’t resist the temptation. I don’t regret that but my bank account is still recovering from the trauma. Getting the i9-10900 felt somewhat better as the prices had dropped somewhat after the launch of Intel’s 11th gen.

Anyway the upgrade has certainly been worth it in terms of running the sim smoothly in all but the most demanding photogrammetry locations. Which I guess answers the OP question, for what it’s worth.

Dunno about console though as I’ve never really bothered with that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

5 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Getting the i9-10900 felt somewhat better as the prices had dropped somewhat after the launch of Intel’s 11th gen.

Yep, and the 9900K upgrade for my older motherboard are on special around the net for an absolute bargain price.

I was a bit concerned about the 9900K rep for running hot and pushing your VRMs but the game does not stress it at all. 

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

On 4/28/2021 at 4:00 PM, Chock said:

Yup, run it at 1920x1080p. It looks alright at that resolution.

Hey Chock,

I've been running at 3840x2160p since launch, but since I'm always in the teens or twenties with FPS, I decided to knock it back to 1920x1080p to see how it feels.

The screen is so ridiculously blurry. I have to zoom in a lot more to see the FMGS and the edges are pretty pixelated. Now I've read this thread and it sounds like I shouldn't be able to notice a difference between 2160 and 1080, so I'm assuming it has to be some sort of anti aliasing issue that I didn't encounter with 2160p.

My question is, being a complete newbie, what AA setting should I implement to regain the clarity, and with what app? (MSFS, NVidia Control Panel, etc). Thanks for the help!

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

We never said you won't notice a difference, we said 1080p to 1440p is the real difference part of the equation, also scaling issues are separate. Optimally, you'd run it at your Native Resolution of your monitor (no argument there), but you can get away with scaling SOMETIMES, but not as often with gaming monitor setups as with TV's. What we said earlier in the thread was in some cases scaling is not destructive (that was in reference to some saying it was always destructive), but that doesn't mean you should do it if you don't have to, and that also doesn't mean it's not sometimes destructive if there are issues. Some monitors don't scale things right, or check your NVIDIA scaling settings (try having the GPU do it separately and compare to your monitor, try both ways and see which one is clearer). Otherwise, you'd have to try a lower res monitor, 2560x1440 (1440p) is recommended over 4k, especially for MSFS gaming.

Lenovo 1440p Monitor

I'm not endorsing the above monitor, just showing it as a generic example. If not related to your settings, then your issue is probably a bug in the scaling software/firmware/or FPGA chip, you're probably seeing a double pixel artifact from a bad scaler. I have worked with people in the past that helped set (vote) on some of these video standards. I no longer do, but I've seen it all pretty much.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Upvote 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram