Sign in to follow this  

Hello!

This question is driving me mad. I am trying to spec out a new PC for FS2020 with an ASUS RTX 3090 ROG STRIX OC, and I cannot for the life of me make a decision on which CPU to go for. There is so much conflicting information online. I've seen benchmarks with the 11900K ahead, and yet I've also seen benchmarks with AMD ahead. Although many are slating the 11900K, I think Flight Simulator is a unique piece of software. I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but it seems the 11900K can clock much faster.

Any thoughts on the best CPU specifically for FS2020?

Thanks for the reply.

The 5950X even beats the 11900k single core fps performance (forgetting value for money)?

Thanks

4 hours ago, matt_flyer said:

The first video shows the 11900K ahead and the second the 5950X ahead.

Because the first video is the 5900X versus the 11900K

For the current price difference, the 11900k makes much more sense. Or do you think 1 or 2 fps justify an extra 300 Euros or so? The best cost-benefit option might be the 11600k, but the if you are rocking a 3090 and don´t care about the price, pick the one you want. 

Edited by GCBraun

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

For a comparison, when I look up the 5950 frequency it's depending on thread count between 4.9 and 4.4GHz.

From the passmark page it shows a single thread score of 3494 for the 5950X but gives no clock frequency, so why not call that 3494 @4.4GHz for argument's sake.

With the 11900K the passmark page shows a single thread score of 3650 @3.5GHz, which seems a little faster, and for a given slower clock rate too.

Let's hypothetically OC the 11900 to 3.8GHz = 3650 / 3.5 = 1042.86 x 3.8 = 3962 so, hypothetically, it might show a passmark near that with a little OC.

How that pans out on the Motherboard/Memory/GPU combination is not easy to guess, but at a glance, the intel seems faster without even nearing the Ryzen clock frequencies.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

17 hours ago, SteveW said:

For a comparison, when I look up the 5950 frequency it's depending on thread count between 4.9 and 4.4GHz.

From the passmark page it shows a single thread score of 3494 for the 5950X but gives no clock frequency, so why not call that 3494 @4.4GHz for argument's sake.

With the 11900K the passmark page shows a single thread score of 3650 @3.5GHz, which seems a little faster, and for a given slower clock rate too.

Let's hypothetically OC the 11900 to 3.8GHz = 3650 / 3.5 = 1042.86 x 3.8 = 3962 so, hypothetically, it might show a passmark near that with a little OC.

How that pans out on the Motherboard/Memory/GPU combination is not easy to guess, but at a glance, the intel seems faster without even nearing the Ryzen clock frequencies.

passmark clocks is not correct, i have test both cpus they ar equal in single tread amd 4.9 11900k 5.3 , i run a 5950x as my main pc had the luck to test both before i decided the 5950x

Yes, the baseclock might be 3.5 but they don't say what it rises to in the test.

my tests show in single tread cb15 for example at same frq the amd was approx 8% faster then the 11900k

Handy to be able to test both in proper setups..

When i looked at several comparisons with the same GPUs they seems to be more or less the same give or take 1 or 2 frames in 60. Mainly because it's the GPU performance that drives the fps in those tests.

With regard to comparing CPU performance,  it's not so much frequency or instructions per cycle, for which they are similar, but rather it is down to quality of branch prediction and pre-ordering of memory transactions, instructions and data, that dictates the outcome. Intels seem to be ahead slightly in that regard because they don't seem to require the memory performance that inhibits the Ryzen if memory is not to a high standard 

Edited by SteveW

On 6/24/2021 at 5:27 AM, Rob_Ainscough said:

Interesting, I was able to purchase a 5950X at MSRP today ... I'm guessing the AMD news above may have dropped demand for the 5950X as users wait for next gen 3D chiplet.

3090's have declined a little in scalper prices, but not much.

Cheers, Rob.

Great stuff Rob. I selected the 5900X in the end, it is still above the 10900K and 11900K in the multi-core and single-core tests. I saw so many reviews and test results before making my decision, most of them end with avoid the 11900K.

By the way, I have noticed that userbenchmark is so biased towards Intel, my PC now is much more performant than my previous 7900x system but it gets much lower test results...

I think 5900X due to less cores has a little bit more OC margin compared with the 5950X. Still, both are the best at the moment. Lets see the new Intel Adler architecture what will bring.

I was coming from a 7900X (x299 platform) because the socket got damage...

And I have ordered the 3080 Ti FTW3 which makes more sense than the 3090.

Edited by Vali

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD