Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

CPU running hot with p3dv5 sliders right

Just noticed that my cpu is running pretty hot with p3d v5 and sliders to the right. It's lows are in the high 70s and the highs are in the low 90s. The average is 82. Im not used to my pc running this hot. Im using a Kraken x3 watercooling pump, and I have it set to performance to increase the cooling. 

My pc is noticably working much harder with p3d than it is, say, with MSFS on ultra settings. 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

You need a better CPU cooler. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I am @ 10700K with "DeepCool",  and averaging about 55 degrees.....@ 5 Ghz, sometimes it spikes a bit but so far cool enough....

Alex 

57 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

Just noticed that my cpu is running pretty hot with p3d v5 and sliders to the right. It's lows are in the high 70s and the highs are in the low 90s. The average is 82. Im not used to my pc running this hot. Im using a Kraken x3 watercooling pump, and I have it set to performance to increase the cooling.

There's no such thing as a Kraken "X3" AFAIK.  Assuming you meant X53, a 2x120mm AIO cooler is going to have a hard time keeping up with a 10-core CPU during periods of sustained heavy all-core loading.

You might want to try turning off HT...it won't make much difference performance-wise, but it should run a good 5-10 deg cooler.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Just for fun, you might want to test your rig without overclocking it. I got an i9-11900KF recently, and I didn't even bother trying to set it at 5.0GHz. Just let the motherboard and cpu handle the overclocking automatically, through BIOS features like Intel Adaptive Boost Technology (ABT) and Asus MultiCore Enhancement (MCE).

I realize that this might not seem like the 'cool' option, but it works smooth as butter, with no crashes for me. Frankly speaking, I don't think the relatively small extra power you would get from overclocking it manually to 5.0GHz and above is really worth it, considering the headaches that come with crashes and overheating hardware.

Didn't some people complain in the past that core 0 was running at 100% while the rest was almost idle when flying in P3D?

Now we have a complaint that all cores are running evenly and heavily...

I would not worry. If you have an intense load on all cores during cruise flight, it is a good sign, and it means that the sim loads a lot of objects. You will notice that this load is not permanent, but mostly present if you use intensive sceneries.

2 hours ago, sunny_in_the_sky said:

Just for fun, you might want to test your rig without overclocking it. I got an i9-11900KF recently, and I didn't even bother trying to set it at 5.0GHz. Just let the motherboard and cpu handle the overclocking automatically, through BIOS features like Intel Adaptive Boost Technology (ABT) and Asus MultiCore Enhancement (MCE).

I realize that this might not seem like the 'cool' option, but it works smooth as butter, with no crashes for me. Frankly speaking, I don't think the relatively small extra power you would get from overclocking it manually to 5.0GHz and above is really worth it, considering the headaches that come with crashes and overheating hardware.

MCE *is* overclocking, as it overrides the stock Intel turbo boost scheduling to keep all the cores at boost speeds where otherwise they'd be dropping due to temp and/or power limits.

If you let the auto overclocking features do their thing, they will just about always bump up voltages way higher than a good manual overclock will, which means it'll actually run hotter in that config than if you dialed it in yourself.

1 hour ago, Afterburner said:

Didn't some people complain in the past that core 0 was running at 100% while the rest was almost idle when flying in P3D?

Now we have a complaint that all cores are running evenly and heavily...

I would not worry. If you have an intense load on all cores during cruise flight, it is a good sign, and it means that the sim loads a lot of objects. You will notice that this load is not permanent, but mostly present if you use intensive sceneries.

As I read it, the complaint wasn't about the core loading so much as the temps hitting the 90s.  That can be solved with better cooling, HT off, or possibly some configuration work to keep voltages down.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

6 minutes ago, w6kd said:

MCE *is* overclocking

I actually meant to say that they should try not manually overclocking, so my mistake on that.

Here is an interesting read, where it states, "The good news is that this is not considered overclocking by Intel and will not VOID or impact your CPU warranty." I do agree that manual overclocking can be optimized with trial and error, but I experienced nothing but headache and pain when trying to do so.

https://www.legitreviews.com/benchmarking-intel-adaptive-boost-on-core-i9-11900k-in-cinebench-r23_227202

I do notice your setup also says you have a custom water loop, which is awesome, but most users won't have that. I hope to one day build a rig with that level of cooling!

I do not think these temperatures are normal, especially not on water cooling. Admittedly, 240mm is on the smaller side of the all-in-one water cooling systems, but should be sufficient to keep it around 70 degrees at full load without manual overclocking. On my Ryzen 3900X on full load I have to push the TDP limit beyond 145W for it to touch 80 degrees - on air cooling! 

What are your idle CPU temps? And how quickly does the temperature go up when you apply load? My suspicion is that the cooler doesn't have good thermal contact with the CPU's heat spreader, which may be due to issues with the thermal paste, too much or too little of it, not applied evenly, or the cooler isn't mounted correctly.

If the cooler has good thermal contact with the CPU, the temperatures should only rise slowly to the levels you mention, because it needs to heat all the water first. If the thermal contact is bad, the temps shoot up very quickly as the heat can't get out of the CPU's heat spreader at a sufficient rate.

Edited by pstrub

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

10 hours ago, pstrub said:

Admittedly, 240mm is on the smaller side of the all-in-one water cooling systems, but should be sufficient to keep it around 70 degrees at full load without manual overclocking.

That's what I have cooling my i9 10850K and I get avg CPU temp of 72C at sustained 100% CPU load with 4.9GHz on all cores and around 55C running FS2020. If I turn off HT, I can get a stable 5.1GHz and a few more FPS in CPU-bound areas, while still keeping CPU below 60C in FS2020.

ie. a 240mm AIO with an i9, even sensibly overclocked, should do an adequate cooling job for flight sims.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11