Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

NEW TO MSFS

43 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

This sounds logical, but does not always work..

MS likes to encrypt content, and when you move it to another folder, you can no longer read the contents..  I have tried moving the Arrow, and been unsuccessful.

sigh, this is so weird, i managed to move the arrow, after first having it zipped, then move that zip and delete form community.  i was not able to move it directly.

unpack in own comm folder and it works....  pfffffff  handy? not at all !!

Edited by wim123
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

This sounds logical, but does not always work..

MS likes to encrypt content, and when you move it to another folder, you can no longer read the contents..  I have tried moving the Arrow, and been unsuccessful.

ah ... I moved my community folder to a different location when I first installed which would explain why it works for me but not other people. The standard path to the community folder (which from memory lives in appdata somewhere) looked far too long to me so I moved it to avoid potential issues with excessively long path/file names. 

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, in2tech said:

Update us as to how it went please. Hopefully you will be flying MSFS soon 🙂 Have FUN!

Just tried a vanilla install. I still have to adjust settings etc. But I must say I am blown away 

Wow!! AA jaggies are a thing of the past, terrain popping.

but I do notice when breaking clouds the clouds need to be a little worked on?? Needs to be smoother less cartoony?

oh and how do I find the exe to use RTSS

thanks

mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeymike said:

Just tried a vanilla install. I still have to adjust settings etc. But I must say I am blown away 

Wow!! AA jaggies are a thing of the past, terrain popping.

but I do notice when breaking clouds the clouds need to be a little worked on?? Needs to be smoother less cartoony?

oh and how do I find the exe to use RTSS

thanks

mike

lol, dont be too hasty, we do have terrain morphing in the mountains, and yes at times the clouds do not look so good.

they look better form below hehe.

but yes no terrain lagging drawing tiles, mmmmm the exe might not be available if you bought via ms store.

i say, look over the tips and trucks section too here for some handy info.

some utilities are a must., like pushnack and lilnavmap......for flighplaiing there are more options.

good luck, do enjoy the views..

21 minutes ago, wim123 said:

lol, dont be too hasty, we do have terrain morphing in the mountains, and yes at times the clouds do not look so good.

they look better form below hehe.

but yes no terrain lagging drawing tiles, mmmmm the exe might not be available if you bought via ms store.

i say, look over the tips and trucks section too here for some handy info.

some utilities are a must., like pushnack and lilnavmap......for flighplaiing there are more options.

good luck, do enjoy the views..

Yes I must admit from lower the clouds look better.

hes I did in fact purchase from ms store.

I have read if I load the sim and open RTSS the exe should appear.

I have chaseplane for P3d  wondering if it’s compatible with msfs 

does the cache clear itself after closing the sim?

Yes indeed I’ll have to check out the tips and tricks and watch some videos and slowly set up the sim .

cheers 

mike

Do not bother with rtss, just set fps to 30 in the sim.

Bert

What is the "community folder"? I have been flying MSFS2020 for a few months now, installed on C Drive (ssd) and have to admit I do not know what this means are where it is. Everything works fine but I cannot find any of the MSFS2020 folders/files.

I purchased a DVD version.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

4 minutes ago, AviatorMan said:

What is the "community folder"? I have been flying MSFS2020 for a few months now, installed on C Drive (ssd) and have to admit I do not know what this means are where it is. Everything works fine but I cannot find any of the MSFS2020 folders/files.

you sure will have one, but do not need it unless you play with usermade mods, they go in there.   (better toi use the addon linker tho)

why not search your pc with community...its bound to come up

5 minutes ago, AviatorMan said:

It's where tou put 3rd party FREE and Payware Mod's!

For the Windows Store install:

C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\

For the Steam install:

C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightDashboard_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\

• Like 1

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

7 minutes ago, in2tech said:

For the Steam install:

C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightDashboard_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\

This is perhaps for a default installation. I enjoy a Steam installation as well. The main exe is living under

K:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator

the bulk program under

M:\MSFS

and the community folder correspondingly

M:\MSFS\Community

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

35 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Do not bother with rtss, just set fps to 30 in the sim.

Interesting.

I have a 144hz monitor 2k

so I would leave that at 144 vsync on in sim and set 30fps?

thanks 

mike

27 minutes ago, mikeymike said:

Interesting.

I have a 144hz monitor 2k

so I would leave that at 144 vsync on in sim and set 30fps?

thanks 

mike

Correct.  I use RTSS for P3D, but the in sim fps setting works very well in MSFS.

• Like 1

Bert

55 minutes ago, AviatorMan said:

Everything works fine but I cannot find any of the MSFS2020 folders/files.

Start by enabling "Show hidden files" in Windows File Manager,

Also suggest having a look at the MSFS Addons Linker app 😉

https://flightsim.to/file/1572/msfs-addons-linker

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

15 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Correct.  I use RTSS for P3D, but the in sim fps setting works very well in MSFS.

You have been very helpful thank you.

what starter addons do you recommend ?

for eg pushback and Ai traffic?

aig work?

thanks

mike