Sign in to follow this  
clayton4115

MSFS2020 Satellite scenery

I'm hoping that the AI processing of satellite imagery will get a bit more I.  For example, around the coast in the UK (and I am sure elsewhere) there are lots of caravan parks.  But in MSFS they become miniature Tudor houses.  I am nit-picking of course, it's still pretty amazing.

36 minutes ago, Grindathotte said:

I'm hoping that the AI processing of satellite imagery will get a bit more I.  For example, around the coast in the UK (and I am sure elsewhere) there are lots of caravan parks.  But in MSFS they become miniature Tudor houses.  I am nit-picking of course, it's still pretty amazing.

Yeah, at me there are small houses instead of a cemetry. 😄

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

1 hour ago, Grindathotte said:

Butlin Holiday Camp goes Tudor ?

Although I think your are all right and MSFS needs work in this area, the only time I realized in real live there was a house with a swimming pool near the airfield I was flying from was when I (for the first time) did spin recovery traning.

I cant remember ever watching the scenery on take of or landing.

At 1000 feet the scenery looks great, yes roads are to green and thats confusing.

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

13 hours ago, Grindathotte said:

Yes, the interpretation of top-down satellite images via 3D autogen buildings can have amusing results. But when you compare MSFS with earlier sims in their world-wide coverage, you realize that even with these quirks it is light-years ahead of everybody else. Where else can you find your neighborhood with all the streets and houses in the right locations, even if they don't look quite right? Until MSFS came along, except for a few hand-crafted places, most towns, cities, and rural areas looked nothing like the real thing. As you say, it is amazing.

Edited by cobalt
  • Like 1

Some of that could also be blamed on OSM. Not all the buildings are outlined by the AI, they source a lot of 3-4 year old OSM data to tell the sim what kind of building to render.

Plus Blackshark needs to model the procedural buildings. I imagine they just go for the most common and/or iconic building designs in a given region for each world update. Then the sim renders whatever it thinks is appropriate for what the building footprint data says.

procedural building info is stored in the folders with ‘PGG’ in the names. Some of the files can be edited in a text editor.

Edited by Tuskin38