Sign in to follow this  
Greazer

What LR Must Do

2 minutes ago, mSparks said:

That's not to say it doesn't look nice. but in no way shape or form does it leave me feeling I am looking at a real DC6 on a real airport in preparation for a real flight - and its those moments in which I like the visuals, and they do happen in XP as well.

Given that no sim is perfect, it is interesting how you can reject the visuals of one sim, but then spend hours trying to improve the dated visuals of another. Those ortho and experimental cloud efforts (to me) do very little to improve the dated looking sim. Not to mention the time involved.

By the way...is PMDG actively supporting / updating the DC6 for the latest versions of XP11? Are they announcing new planes for XP? Or have they abandoned XP as a development platform? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

Given that no sim is perfect, it is interesting how you can reject the visuals of one sim, but then spend hours trying to improve the dated visuals of another. Those ortho and experimental cloud efforts (to me) do very little to improve the dated looking sim.

Because Im not interested in what it "looks" like.

Im interested in not spending €1000 doing an hours worth of reorientation procedure after finding I am off course.

Having decent ortho and a near perfect match to view distance is incredibly helpful for avoiding that.

When i want looks good for pure entertainment I'd just fire up battlefield 4 on the ps4 and jump in the apache for half an hour. 7 years we've had this, and even BF4 has better view distance than I see in MSFS:

But mostly I just flick between csgo and xp11 for desktop giggles.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

Because Im not interested in what it "looks" like.

There are just too many contradictions here...in one thread you say that Vanilla XP visuals make your eyes bleed. You have also posted about ortho and experimental clouds that basically comes down to looks.

One of the greatest so called insults about that other sim...is that it is a VFR sim, which, in and of itself is a great thing for those newbies looking to get into flight / flight training (...VFR).

You are definitely interested in the looks of a sim....if you were not...you would have just stuck with Vanilla XP.

And again....is PMDG actively supporting / updating the DC6 for the latest versions of XP11? Are they announcing new planes for XP? Or have they abandoned XP as a development platform?

Looks Matter... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlyBaby said:

in one thread you say that Vanilla XP visuals make your eyes bleed.

yes, default Dobanovci

DNzoPsD.png

Always made my eyes bleed

Zero use for VFR flight.

However with a little love and playing with WED (and it is playing, WED is a lot of fun to use)

I can find my way home by sight in real life with no map use from 30nm away, because this has everything I need.

dauRwiQ.png

mparbEj.png

And find my way around just with

q2HBPcz.png

You can see Dec in both tho.

In fact so much practice with orientation now, I can quickly glance at a map of New York, throw the VR headset on and do this flight:

It keeps me entertained and has real world value (at least the heli part).

One of the greatest so called insults about that other sim...is that it is a VFR sim, which, in and of itself is a great thing for those newbies looking to get into flight / flight training (...VFR).

I think the insult I guess (not that I've heard it) is that it doesn't have the stuff needed for IFR (flight planning stuff IIRC?), and doesn't have the view distance or elements needed for VFR.

You are definitely interested in the looks of a sim.

I'm not interested so much in what things look like (nice to have), as long as they are there to see in the first place (must have)

Like all those blue circles on the map which are used if you think you might be lost.

Looks Matter... 

Sure, just not that much. Otherwise this:

Wouldn't have been around the top of the most profitable games of the last few years (and is still on my list of things to play a lot, when the ps4 can get the headset back from xplane - was hoping psvr2 wouldve dropped by now)

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

43 minutes ago, mSparks said:

yes, default Dobanovci

DNzoPsD.png

Always made my eyes bleed

Zero use for VFR flight.

However with a little love and playing with WED (and it is playing, WED is a lot of fun to use)

I can find my way home by sight in real life with no map use from 30nm away, because this has everything I need.

dauRwiQ.png

mparbEj.png

And find my way around just with

q2HBPcz.png

You can see Dec in both tho.

In fact so much practice with orientation now, I can quickly glance at a map of New York, throw the VR headset on and do this flight:

It keeps me entertained and has real world value (at least the heli part).

I think the insult I guess (not that I've heard it) is that it doesn't have the stuff needed for IFR (flight planning stuff IIRC?), and doesn't have the view distance or elements needed for VFR.

I'm not interested so much in what things look like (nice to have), as long as they are there to see in the first place (must have)

Like all those blue circles on the map which are used if you think you might be lost.

Sure, just not that much. Otherwise this:

Wouldn't have been around the top of the most profitable games of the last few years (and is still on my list of things to play a lot, when the ps4 can get the headset back)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. An irrelevant conclusion, also known as ignoratio elenchi (Latin for ''ignoring refutation'') or missing the point, is the informal fallacy of presenting an argument that may or may not be logically valid and sound, but (whose conclusion) fails to address the issue in question.

25 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

An irrelevant conclusion

My conclusion is still the same, I'm just explaining my reasoning

On 6/28/2021 at 10:43 AM, mSparks said:

1, Fix the known issues

Everything else is optional rather than a must imho.

For example, in that New York video, the only issue I see - and it can only be fixed by Laminar - is the lighting between 4.32 and 4.37, and again slightly later - Another borken lighting issue that I hadn't listed before. Everything else is not just great but still unrivalled.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

8 minutes ago, mSparks said:

My conclusion is still the same, I'm just explaining my reasoning

For example, in that New York video, the only issue I see - and it can only be fixed by Laminar - is the lighting between 4.32 and 4.37 - Another borken lighting issue that I hadn't listed before. Everything else is not just great but unrivalled.

8D8DCB27-CED5-4365-8F46-4E4161F10026.jpeg

I'll sacrifice 50 X-Plane users screaming for better visuals and scenery on a mayan pyramid if it'll get me better AI and ATC systems in XP12.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

1 hour ago, VFXSimmer said:

8D8DCB27-CED5-4365-8F46-4E4161F10026.jpeg

I wouldn't go as far as calling MSFS a failure TBH, if anything it helped a lot of FSX stickers to shift over to X-Plane - massive win all round.

At least not yet, it is still loosing 10% of its steam user base each month (another reason LR should/must fix the lighting now) but they spent big bucks on marketting so they should be able to sustain those losses up to the xbox release.

LR really must release XP12 for xbox and ps5 to.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

2 hours ago, VFXSimmer said:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. An irrelevant conclusion, also known as ignoratio elenchi (Latin for ''ignoring refutation'') or missing the point, is the informal fallacy of presenting an argument that may or may not be logically valid and sound, but (whose conclusion) fails to address the issue in question.

This is his usual MO. Deflection...

2 hours ago, mSparks said:

dauRwiQ.png

So, are you suggesting that MSFS can't produce this visual at all for VFR to navigate home some 30NM away?

2 hours ago, mSparks said:

So, what VFR flight have you attempted to take in MSFS where you were hindered by lack of view distance / elements needed for VFR, and just couldn't make it?

Edited by FlyBaby
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

that MSFS can't produce this visual at all for VFR to navigate home some 30NM away?

Actually I was referring to MVFR.

This sort of thing

ScCEmDq.png

Can it? (and can you find VAL in that shot) (and I'm not talking about the helo)

"looks aweful"

but also pretty much the view you can often expect to see when this deteriorates

GQepZPI.png

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

7 hours ago, mSparks said:

very much. devgrp's screenshot actually reminded me of the thing that most puts me off even trying

not being able to see exactly where you want to be in 5 minutes time flying at 90kts (permanently less than 7.5nm view distance)

Brings back horrid memories of the brown mud xp days a year or two back - but at least that only started 15 to 20nm away.

Is that why the clouds move out of your way in XP as you get close to them? To help you see a very long way away?

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

they say its rude to laugh.

but sometimes its hard not to

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/eurofighter-typhoon-now-available/327353

You are an interesting dude.  

Gotta give you credit for being passionate about your convictions.  Hats off to that.  I suppose it does take more courage to continue leading a parade even after you look back and find that no one else is following.

• Like 4