Sign in to follow this  
lliaudais

Runway View!

I haven't figured out the purpose of the origin of this view being the Virtual Cockpit, however I found by changing the orgin to fixed, along with a couple of other settings, yo can set the view right along side of the runway. By allowing adjustments (Using the Cntrl/Shift-Enter/Backspace sequences you can set it up anywhere you want to or at any altitude. The one thing I haven't figured out is when you define a fixed origin any adjustments are progressive. They speed up at each keystroke. Where as for example if tower origin is set the adjustments are absolute. (Although slow!) Does anyone know how to make fixed origin ajustments absolute! As it's difficult to completely stop the adjustment once initiated. (I hope I'm explaining this right!) Note: The Container TargetCategory is undocumented in the SDK which is used for the AI aicraft view (Which according to the SDK should be set to "AI Plane" but is not. This is what makes this runway view possible!!This is my settings (Of course backup yuor original config file before attempting this!) If you don't want to lock your view on the target aircraft you can set Track to None in which case you will have free pan control![CameraDefinition.009]Title = Facilities RunwayGuid = {607C4520-CA6F-4135-AE10-8BF28838068F}Description = This is the description of the runway view.Origin = FixedInstancedBased = YesSnapPbhAdjust = SwivelSnapPbhReturn = FalsePanPbhAdjust = SwivelTargetCategory = ContainerTrack = TrackShowAxis = NoAllowZoom = YesInitialZoom = 1.0SmoothZoomTime = 0.0ShowWeather = YesXyzAdjust = TRUETransition = NoShowLensFlare=FALSECategory = RunwayCycleHideRadius = 7ClipMode = TowerCycleHidden=YesHere's an example how it looks!http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...51803&mode=full

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You aren't very clear where you are placing this entry. Since it is already supplied as default in the cameras.cfg file, I assume you are adding this entry to an aircraft.cfg file as a user aircraft optional view?

>You aren't very clear where you are placing this entry. Since>it is already supplied as default in the cameras.cfg>file, I assume you are adding this entry to an aircraft.cfg>file as a user aircraft optional view?Sorry! I'm replacing the entry in the camera.cfg file. Not sure if you can have both, since they are the same type and instanced based. Although I'll try it? The entry in the existing file, uses the virtual cockpit as point of origin. All this does, is give you a padlock view of the runway from the cockpit. I don't understand the usefulness of this view, in fact it limits you. If you were using this view on approach, you couldn't access any switch with the mouse, that wasn't in view, as you wouldn't be able to pan to it, say lights for example. I maybe missing something here, but I'd rather be able to place the view on the runway itself (Or alongside of it!) to view approaches or other AI traffic!

Isn't the new cam system neat? I really like the default view that is "slung under" aircraft like the A321. Pan around in that, and wow.I liked your American Airlines 737-800 pics. I was surprised to learn the other day that AA is flying 737-8's transcontinental (i.e. NY to LA). I guess it's well within a 738's capabilities.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

<>That's a look at runway camera, not a look from runway camera, so its origin is the VC and its target is the selected end of runway. The Tower views will give you a look from camera where the origin is the selected airports tower location and the target is your aircraft location. Neither of these views is pannable because they are endpoint defined cameras (looking from something at something).It might be possible to create a camera to do what you want, but I haven't looked over our camera SDK that much myself yet, so can't say for certain how to do it (if you have FSX Delux, the SDK is on DVD 1).

Tom,The two airport related cameras view from opposite ends of the "spectrum". Runway View is two cameras: one that defaults to the NEAREST, and a second one that is selectable (Facilities). Both are from the pilot's viewpoint (VC). This does make it difficult if all you can see is the seat-back... so make the view a HOTKEY and select it at will -- toggle to the normal foward view as needed. Easy fix.The Tower view defaults to a view from the nearest tower. It is designed to be pannable and movable but defaults to locked on user AC. Per the SDK, assign a key to the ambiguously named "View track/pan (toggle)" and you will have full control of the camera and you can position it where you want and watch what you want. It is not necessary to mangle another camera definition to accomplish this.Additionally the SDK explains the use of "Fixed View" where one specifies the lat/lon/alt of a camera (and even provides a sample flight with four fixed cameras.) The easy way to utilize this is to add a fixed camera definition to any aircraft cfg; edit lat/lon/alt as needed and just reload the AC. Instant camera wherever you want. THIS camera, I noticed, also exhibits the "How-do-I-make-this-thing-stationary-again-after-I-move-it" issue. If you move it, you lose the fixed nature of it.I've been thinking about a revision of the runway camera. I want an OUTSIDE view that is locked on the runway so I can see it regardless.... just haven't got a round-tuit to spare at the moment. Care to play with that concept instead?Loyd