Sign in to follow this  
jrw4

Constant CTD

18 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

Running MFS can cause CTDs as well.

I did say this 2 days ago, and was laughed at. I said something along the lines of  "welcome to smoothness, and welcome to CTD's". I thought it wouldn't take long before people started noticing the CTD's; and come up with a myriad of ways to eliminate them, that do not work. Tested and tried. 

• Upvote 2

Just had a weird one ... flying along in the C172 G1000 and thought I'd try out the new AI functions so selected a nearby airport as the new destination and immediately the FPS dropped to 7 from a steady 30 and after half a minute or so, MSFS just died.  No CTD, just stopped working.  Don't think I'll try that again!!

1 hour ago, jrw4 said:

So far, at least in my case, it's looking like it was the overclock from 4.2 to 4.4 GHz. 

So @FrankR409 many thanks for the suggestion. No CTDs. It seems pretty clear that there is a lot going on underneath the hood now. It would have been nice if there was some sort of logging facility like that of XP to help out, but that also is no doubt complicated.

Now if only those terminal buildings at KBWI, KBOS, etc., actually had walls, that would be great. I'm guessing that will be fixed in due course.

Thanks again everyone.

Are you running trackir?

André

1 hour ago, awf said:

Are you running trackir?

Negative on the TrackIR.

Really it's just a pretty vanilla HD monitor driven by a GTX 1080 GPU. The cpu is a respectable i7-7700K, but far from the latest generation. One thing I have been noticing is that even on Medium graphics the GPU is running pegged near 99% even with the glass cockpit 172. This eventually leads to a CTD depending on how dense the scenery becomes. I have throttled down the frame rate using the RTSS external limiter to 30 fps. This reduces the CPU load to 40% and the GPU to 55% in the new WT CJ4. I'm going to let this run for a while to see how it goes.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

Just now, jrw4 said:

Negative on the TrackIR.

Really it's just a pretty vanilla HD monitor driven by a GTX 1080 GPU. The cpu is a respectable i7-7700K, but far from the latest generation. One thing I have been noticing is that even on Medium graphics the GPU is running pegged near 99% even with the glass cockpit 172. This eventually leads to a CTD depending on how dense the scenery becomes. I have throttled down the frame rate using the RTSS external limiter to 30 fps. This reduces the CPU load to 40% and the GPU to 55% in the new WT CJ4. I'm going to let this run for a while to see how it goes.

Sounds like a thermal issue with your gear. I would check whether your CPU needs some new thermal paste or your GPU is getting too hot.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

CPU temps are holding nicely around 60C. GPU is a bit warmer but I'm operating frame limited so maybe it is getting too hot when it's running at 99%. I'll check that out.

Edited by jrw4

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

As someone who has been very fortunate to have not had an issue with CTD's with FS2020, I have now had 2 out of last 4 flights since the update. Both were just simply the program shutting down in the middle of a flight with everything looking normal. In the past, the only CTD I ever had was because of some addon I had put in the community folder and quickly removed it and never had another CTD since. The only thing in my community folder is navdata and haven't heard anything about that causing issues.

I am going to start up another flight just to look at the cpu and gpu status as I did not look at them up to this point since the update. Before the update, I would occasionally look and they are always about mid range and never near 100%.Temps always good. I'll see what it looks like now. I've never done any overclocking so I know that is not the issue for me. I may be at a point to just not use the game until a hotfix or patch comes out since I really don't want to go through setting everything up just to have it crash.

I have a very similar problem but instead of CTDs the sim locks up and the only way to exit is to kill it through Task Manager.

If I had a solution I'd share it but after so many crashes and lockups in less than one day I'm putting it down for a while.

i7-10700K; RTX 2070 Super; 16GB; P3Dv4.5HF3 & MSFS2020.

18 minutes ago, lambourne said:

I have a very similar problem but instead of CTDs the sim locks up and the only way to exit is to kill it through Task Manager.

If I had a solution I'd share it but after so many crashes and lockups in less than one day I'm putting it down for a while.

I'm having the exact same problem, so far only after failed attempts to update things through content manager.  It just stops downloading, freezes, etc.  It's very frustrating.  Haven't even tried flying yet.  This is, for me at least, the worst update yet.

-C

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, EVGA RTX3080 FTW3 Ultra, 64GB DDR4 @3600MHz

MSFS, XP11, XP12, DCS, IL-2, Falcon BMS, LMNOP

9 minutes ago, cmorg said:

I'm having the exact same problem, so far only after failed attempts to update things through content manager.  It just stops downloading, freezes, etc.  It's very frustrating.  Haven't even tried flying yet.  This is, for me at least, the worst update yet.

Same here.  Fired up FS, it said it had an update, let it download, got to main menu.  Went to content manager, saw there was more stuff to update, started that, after downloading for a few minutes program exited.  Fired it up again and it gets to the main menu, freezes, then crashes.  :^(

I saw someone earlier in this thread mentioned the "Seasons north & south" add-on which I do have, but can't figure out how to uninstall it from outside FS.

Edited by ELaw
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ELaw said:

Same here.  Fired up FS, it said it had an update, let it download, got to main menu.  Went to content manager, saw there was more stuff to update, started that, after downloading for a few minutes program exited.  Fired it up again and it gets to the main menu, freezes, then crashes.  :^(

I saw someone earlier in this thread mentioned the "Seasons north & south" add-on which I do have, but can't figure out how to uninstall it from outside FS.

If you bought it from the marketplace, it should be in the "official" folder.

Okay I may have pulled the fire alarm a little too soon!

I rebooted the computer, fired up FS again, and it didn't crash.  Though before it was downloading the updates I selected in content manager and the downloads appear to have been canceled.

So I'm downloading the updates one at a time and we'll see what happens...

Update: it worked!  Not sure if it was the reboot or downloading updates one at a time, but FS seems happy again.

Edited by ELaw

I have checked the GPU operating temperature in the absence of frame rate limiting. It's in the mid-70s which doesn't sound unreasonable for 99% usage. However, I was able to cause a CTD by rapidly scanning around the cockpit at this high GPU utilization. I cannot create the corresponding CTD while operating the sim frame limited to 30 fps with RTSS.

That's about as much as I can figure out what to do. As noted here and elsewhere, there's a lot that's going on thta we don't have any way of monitoring. There are many postings here on AVSIM and also the MSFS forum about CTD problems. We've got a way to go on this one.

Thanks everyone for a good discussion. Your help is much appreciated.

1 hour ago, rjquick said:

As someone who has been very fortunate to have not had an issue with CTD's with FS2020, I have now had 2 out of last 4 flights since the update. Both were just simply the program shutting down in the middle of a flight with everything looking normal. In the past, the only CTD I ever had was because of some addon I had put in the community folder and quickly removed it and never had another CTD since. The only thing in my community folder is navdata and haven't heard anything about that causing issues.

I am going to start up another flight just to look at the cpu and gpu status as I did not look at them up to this point since the update. Before the update, I would occasionally look and they are always about mid range and never near 100%.Temps always good. I'll see what it looks like now. I've never done any overclocking so I know that is not the issue for me. I may be at a point to just not use the game until a hotfix or patch comes out since I really don't want to go through setting everything up just to have it crash.

So, at 7000 ft above JFK in the 172 g1000, I'm seeing the CPU bouncing between 50% and 75%. The GPU bouncing between 65% and 75%. The GPU temp is pretty steady between 68 and 70 c. I don't see these numbers causing a crash and they look like what I usually see. Beautiful evening flight btw. My destination is Atlantic City. Hopefully, I get there. ILS 13 expected... maybe. 🙄😲😱