Sign in to follow this  
TheDuderino

Mount Everest and other mountains pop up and are moving

Hey guys,

so first of all my System:
(i7 10700k, RTX 2070 Super,Win 10 64, 32 GB RAM , Z490 Gaming Plus MoBo, Corsair 650 w 80 Gold PSU) 150k Internet speed

I have the problem, if I fly on (ultra settings) over the Mount Everest and the nearby mountains, the mountains change. Its like the mountais are moving.

So if I fly over a mountain ridge for example, the Slope is just changing, like moving. And then it stops. Or distant mountains pop out of nowhere.

<--- you can watch it in this youtube video from like minute 2:40 - 2:45 on the left side, the slope is moving. Only that I get these moving parts and popping out mountains a lot more than this guy.

Could this be because of a bad bandwith or maybe a faulty GPU? Because I never earthed myself when changing my GPU or Motherbord. Maybe that caused the Problem?

Edited by charliearon
embed video

I don't think it is your hardware or bandwidth - terrain morphing is significantly more noticeable after the update than before.

Edited by PurdueKev
  • Like 1

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

This is what i find so strange with this sim now. (Please don't take it that i do not believe your issue, as i do) But i flew around Everest last night after all the woes of trying to have a simple IFR flight. And the flight was stunning, Everest looked as good as ever, no morphing, and i just thought, that's what makes this sim great, when it works it's simply stunning.

It seems to happen a lot now, where one person could be having nothing but issues, and others everythings fine..

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

These terrain 'pops' have always been there. They're especially noticeable in mountainous areas and along hilly coast lines.

Nothing to do with your system, it's how the sim generates terrain graphics.

• Like 1

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

Ok thanks guys, yeah it's weird that some guys dont have any problems and others do have a bunch of them.

@RudyB24 ok but it's not as less morphing as in the video i showed, i have it much more. If i fly over Nepal, the morphing and popping appears in different places the whole time, its really annoying, because its at multiple places and doesnt stop, is that even normal then?

2 hours ago, RudyB24 said:

These terrain 'pops' have always been there. They're especially noticeable in mountainous areas and along hilly coast lines.

Nothing to do with your system, it's how the sim generates terrain graphics.

IF Asobo cant sort it then we need Orbx to do a Himalayas mesh.  They have ruined the rest of the worlds mountains for me after flying in NZ .  Can't beat that high detail, zero morphing mesh.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, The Moose said:

IF Asobo cant sort it then we need Orbx to do a Himalayas mesh.  They have ruined the rest of the worlds mountains for me after flying in NZ .  Can't beat that high detail, zero morphing mesh.

I did a discovery flight in Norway yesterday after I updated the Nordics - I was sure a mountain would spike up and kill me the mountains were popping so much.  The textures and colours were absolutely awful.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

@TheDuderino Yes, it is very annoying, it already was and if after SU5 it became worse then ... well then that's a shame.

Pleas are being made at several place around the internet for Microsoft / Asobo to not force the current settings (presumably toned down to make things work more fluent on XBOX) on everyone but to make them more user tunable, such that those who invested in high end hardware can get their improved graphics / LOD / ultra / what have you settings back.

This post on Reddit is well written in my opinion:

Edited by RudyB24

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

15 hours ago, TheDuderino said:

Hey guys,

so first of all my System:
(i7 10700k, RTX 2070 Super,Win 10 64, 32 GB RAM , Z490 Gaming Plus MoBo, Corsair 650 w 80 Gold PSU) 150k Internet speed

I have the problem, if I fly on (ultra settings) over the Mount Everest and the nearby mountains, the mountains change. Its like the mountais are moving.

So if I fly over a mountain ridge for example, the Slope is just changing, like moving. And then it stops. Or distant mountains pop out of nowhere.

MFS Mount Everest <--- you can watch it in this youtube video from like minute 2:40 - 2:45 on the left side, the slope is moving. Only that I get these moving parts and popping out mountains a lot more than this guy.

Could this be because of a bad bandwith or maybe a faulty GPU? Because I never earthed myself when changing my GPU or Motherbord. Maybe that caused the Problem?

I did the same flight yesterday and I'm seeing the same thing. I have fiber internet and system specs below. 

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

I will be honest - it doesn't appear to be consistent from session to session (at least what I have observed in limited time with SU5).  Did a flight around Hawaii last night, and there was very offputting morphing all over the place (that was why I posted my initial response) - worse than what I had ever seen previously with MSFS.  But I just did a flight around Bella Coola, BC which is particularly mountainous and there was hardly any significant morphing.  Different flights, of course, so I don't know if there was another variable at play.  Also don't know how much is being controlled on the "backend" by what the servers are feeding.

I spent a little time in dev mode trying to see how high I could move each setting without impacting my system, but I am honestly scratching my head understanding what sliders do and don't do what.  I don't now if there is a slider that addresses or impacts the terrain complexity and LOD distance. For now, I basically just set each setting to the max level where I wasn't dropping frames - I don't know if that did anything to the terrain morphing or not.

Edited by PurdueKev

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

4 hours ago, Car147 said:

This is what i find so strange with this sim now. (Please don't take it that i do not believe your issue, as i do) But i flew around Everest last night after all the woes of trying to have a simple IFR flight. And the flight was stunning, Everest looked as good as ever, no morphing, and i just thought, that's what makes this sim great, when it works it's simply stunning.

It seems to happen a lot now, where one person could be having nothing but issues, and others everythings fine..

Can someone who is not having this issue upload a video of the same flight? I figure there is at least one of you who says there not having this issue with video record capabilities. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Wise87

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

Ok I tried again on various areas. For example mount Rushmore, and everytime I fly by the mountain I'd morphing. Then I tried it on the xbox series s besides the PC, and had the same problem. I watched someone stream it on xbox series x and he had no morphing at all. Also did I have black areas popping out in mountain areas like the swiss Alps. I dont know if it is my bandwith? Nobody else seems to have these black areas popping up and the morphing in that extreme way I have. I mean on xbox I cant do much with the graphics so it should be fine right?

43 minutes ago, TheDuderino said:

I dont know if it is my bandwith? Nobody else seems to have these black areas popping up and the morphing in that extreme way I have. I mean on xbox I cant do much with the graphics so it should be fine right?

Sounds like it.

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram