Sign in to follow this  
ianlighting

Next Gen XPlane (Gen-X) "Choose your destination!"

6 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Do you know Vedic maths ?

Yep !  Ah! Got ya Zul... and you're the man who doesn't like maths ....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

6 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Yep !  Ah! Got ya Zul... and you're the man who doesn't like maths ....

😁

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

3 hours ago, ianlighting said:

I'm sorry but the series lost its way at the end of season 1, they should have never done away with Hannibal Lector leaving Felix Leiter to carry on the work.

The complexity of the story increased considerably for s2 and 3, so much that it really turned into one of those "watch more than once to even get the basic story".

S3 is my favourite because its the first time Ive seen what they call Rehoboam presented as popular fiction rather than governments/corporations expenditure...

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

Sparks, as you surely know, the limits of Computation and it's mathematical base - Logic - were laid so "magically" by Kurt Gödel in the early 20s - 30s of 20th century ... And they're so so so desperately limitative that I smile everytime I see one of those news regarding the "huge" capabilities of  AI.... and ... really interesting stuff like, for instance, this:

https://www.electronicsweekly.com/news/business/spinnaker2-tapes-out-2021-07/

Interesting context, Ive never really put that in the context of markov chains or quantum computing.

Markov chains and Bayesian maths were still military secrets from godels time (big fan of his ontological proof), up until the last few decades (after Churchill ordered much of the research destroyed), they didnt discover infinity until the early 20th and quantum compute even now is still basically unproven.

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

@mSparks I feel they tried to do too much in the series over Michael Crichton original screenplay which does miss that immortal "Yul" ending chase around the complex. Season 1&3 I like but 2 tended to drag on a bit. 

Westworld

Edited by ianlighting

23 minutes ago, ianlighting said:

@mSparks I feel they tried to do too much in the series over Michael Crichton original screenplay which does miss that immortal "Yul" ending chase around the complex. Season 1&3 I like but 2 tended to drag on a bit. 

Westworld

They built a lot more onto the original screenplay, and brought the ideas to present day and in a respectful and intelligent manner imho (That Rehoboam thing is a big deal for me because for most people the fact that governments and corps are already completely controlling most of the world with big data and AI is still science fiction, until now there was no way to even start that conversation)

When the general MO for a remake/sequel is

I can live with things being a little slow at times being the worst thing they did.

Now, anyone brave enough to put msfs and xp next gen on that spectrum?

AutoATC Developer

Great to see that Orbx have something new in the pipeline with "LIEO Olbia Costa Smeralda Airport" along with the recent introductions from AG Sim with "Wangen-Lachen Airfield" , Digital Design with "Salzburg Version 2" (This one I really like!) and Taim Models with quiet a few new sceneries to keep any pilot busy. The other location to keep an eye out for is with "OneSim Store" who keep releasing Indonesia sceneries for XP if anyone is interested.

I think for next revision it would be good to see an active involvement from LR with developers and novice upstarts alike with explaining the basic requirements for XP sceneries even if it is in a zoom format or a series of Youtube videos that encourages a fresh involvement with learning the skills required in creating new scenery for XP. 

Edited by ianlighting
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ianlighting said:

Great to see that Orbx have something new in the pipeline with "LIEO Olbia Costa Smeralda Airport" along with the recent introductions from AG Sim with "Wangen-Lachen Airfield" , Digital Design with "Salzburg Version 2" (This one I really like!) and Taim Models with quiet a few new sceneries to keep any pilot busy. The other location to keep an eye out for is with "OneSim Store" who keep releasing Indonesia sceneries for XP if anyone is interested.

Why is it great to see? I've looked at the screenshots and they look as bland as ever? Why bother until XP12 is released with better lighting because no one other than cult devotees is going to buy them? It's just unnecessary eye candy.

Edited by jarmstro

@jarmstro I'm "cult" lol oh. I can promise everyone that you will not find myself round fires burning copies of other "Flight stimulus packages" in some type of XP ritual, it is "nice" in a jazz context to see activity as it tends to be too one sided at the moment.

• Upvote 2

BTW Bland! despite my differences of opinion with another site. I'm not about to be drawn into a debate about quality of these sceneries as I think the each respected party has done there best with what is available in the current version of XP and to put these people down who have spent time to present what they feel is acceptable for offer to people to enjoy is a negative! I personally feel this comment just pushes people away with any future developing for XP as we have we already seen with a number developers jumping to the alternatives. So Jarmstro! my old friend we have to give them TLC! and show them what can be improved and how it can be improved on the available forums for feedback.

Sure, items like Sparky747 with existing items of new sceneries being released are great in the current version but, I do think all these items which I agree with yourself will benefit from the next version in a aesthetics point of view. 

I personally think that XP has been more successful than people give credit considering in its current form it started way back predating 2016 and technology available at that time. That's not bad for a program that has gone through a multitude of changes to keep current, would the alternatives been able to have done this over such a length of time with keeping backward compatibility. I doubt it!

As an example: MS took over a 10 year break which is subject to direction in RTI and LM with P3D access to market is to renew the series with the minimal amount of backward compatibility to reduce overheads! I think people have a great deal with XP and yes it is slow sometimes to catch up considering at time of release this was way ahead of the pack (Wait a minute! MS were not even involved at that time! and had walked away telling everyone they were not interested ever again with support requests at the time being rejected and directed towards DTG after the sale of the license, Oh! is this not what happen? I think so) but it is worth the time and investment with waiting!

MS pulled the same stunt with MS train simulator way back after selling that license in a long winded audit trail to the same company ! LOL

"Patients is a virtue" as they say ......

Edited by ianlighting
  • Like 2

Something completely different and I have to say that Team Fusion have done an amazing job with bringing this title back too life! 4k in il2 "Cliffs of Dover with Torbuk" WOW!

Cliffs of Dover Blitz - New 610 Squadron RAF Campaign Announcement - YouTube

and also check out "Wings over the Reich" and "Wings over Flanders Fields" which are also equally satisfying 😉

Edited by ianlighting

9 hours ago, ianlighting said:

I personally think that XP has been more successful than people give credit considering in its current form it started way back predating 2016 and technology available at that time.

This statement has bugged me all day, for a whole host of reasons.

There are currently pretty much 4 times the number of people on Steam on MSFS as XP11, to me there is failure on the part of XP there, especially when considering the respective gaps between the two:

vs 6 months ago

and Jan 2020

I think its easy to blame it on the marketing differences, but I'm sure its more than that - the ease of making the first video vs getting the XP11 versions close is probably the biggest gap between the two.

But whats been bugging me is the second part of the sentence:

9 hours ago, ianlighting said:

considering in its current form it started way back predating 2016 and technology available at that time.

XP has massive advantage over all other sims, its been continually developed for decades, it has a huge developer community pool other sims can only dream of, most of which are very familiar with the formidable tech available.

But 5 years in that potential doesn't feel any closer to be being realised than it did 5 years ago.

Edited by mSparks
  • Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

@mSparks I can understand your point, I suppose we will have to wait and see what happens with the next roll out. Don't get me wrong as I'm not against MSFS but, it is more about where it drags people with being dependent on a cloud base supply if you want to use our software as seen with so many items these days from adopting the "stand and deliver" format of a subscription only access to market for the user. Call me old fashion but I prefer the old days as you know with buying products off the shelf as they had more meaning and certainly made the book shelves more interesting for conversation. 😉

You could say the same about Windows 10 which was supposedly the last version which would answer all the needs of the user and as stated way back in early 2015 there will be no future Windows 11, but a few years later and now we have Windows 11 and why because a number items can't be fixed under the current version in Windows 10 and, they have had over 7 years and still have not fixed a number of areas that were there prior to release. Linux is no better either when I think about a serious issue still yet to be addressed from over 10 years with being able to hack someone's system with knowing the right items to attack recently posted on Youtube as well LOL. In software nothing is perfect! I will say again that under circumstances in an ever moving and developing software and hardware industry environment that LR with XP11 has done more than a good job which this comment does not even consider the poor state of continual graphic driver releases form the 2 main houses. So if LR want to update there current offering then everyone should be fully behind this next version with support!

Edited by ianlighting
  • Like 1

and yes this is a superior product but they are having to deal with an operator which holds all the aces up there sleeves at moment including the fact this is the main used operating system by the majority! but I will back the Jason in this Goliath battle as I know better from the previous times! which some of yourselves know with where we stand when things don't go according to team blue plans like FSX! Yes DTG and the pervious owner saved the day but if that had not happen then it would be like what happen with MS train Simulator of being dead and burred effectively!

"The beauty of XP is you decide on what you want to do in your flight with not being restricted to how you want to experience your environment" 

Maybe I want Ireland to look better with using Bing as opposed to Google in Orthro 4xP when using boundless scenery for Donegal and this is the type flexibility we have in XP which we would not have using the alternative with a fixed compliance of compatibility requiring something like Autocad 3ds max to do same items which I have but not everyone has about 20k spare in subscriptions to hand or available do they! 

My personal feelings are at the expense of losing minority we have to move to majority of people even if means losing a dedicated website in the process otherwise there will be no future product! The other point is LR need decide on there core business is it creating apps to replace g1000's or running a software flight simulation business because MS are not messing around!

Passion is a great thing especially when you have put something together yourself but right now the owner needs to sit back and let the number crunchers below do the talking with how or what the product will be and they contributed. The owner should sit back and do something else like look another activity like with demonstrating what in Covid 19 situation which LR have been doing with helping airline companies or showing how LR software is used to train pilots as people like to see this stuff as well.

Anyway all those personal feelings aside the product on my system which has more raked up hours than Train sim 2, Uboat, IL2, Civil War,  Alien Isolation, Terminator, FSX, P3D, MSFS2020 (removed currently), Chess Ultra, Cheybnobal, ARMA 1,2  & 3, Cold Waters, Silent Hunter 1&2&3&4&5, Infra, Euro trucks 2, Cities Skylines etc is "X Plane" wow and to think this can even override EVA and Dangerous Elie or F1 2021 or Football manger and any star wars franchise as well huh! Not bad in my opinion for a software that apparently has so many problems! huh

anyway this my lot for a while as it is time to concentrate on my 3rd Masters degree phew wow maybe I get set steak knives at end of this one lol!  I really hope this is end of the flight and I'm on way to the duty frees lol 

Edited by ianlighting
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ianlighting said:

I can understand your point, I suppose we will have to wait and see what happens with the next roll out

This is why it bugged me. I dont really understand my point...

There is a lot of conflicting information that I'm really struggling to consolidate. 

We've had tons of discussions about what XP needs to address in the next roll out, most if not all of that looks like it will be, but I am left feeling there is an important part of the jigsaw missing.

I used to think it was just about the marketing - I expected a lot more people to land on msfs just because perceptions were controlled so slickly, but the huge jump in msfs users after the recent MSFS update makes it look like something more, by all accounts that msfs update should have been minor compared to XP11.40 to XP11.55 - but XP usage barely budged an inch, however there is nothing I can put my finger on to explain why, maybe it was just the xbox launch reminded people they had it.

Even completely ignoring whats happening with MSFS, XP11 growth stalled all the way back in April 2020, thats well after MSFS was announced (June 2019) but well before it released.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer