Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

The "if you can't beat them, join them.." post...

I am right now in a computer flight from Mackinaw Island, to Flint (KFNT) Michigan, and am running SU5 at full Ultra, (custom) with BLOOM as off, and Super Sampling at the full 8x8.  I am also running my 4K wide view monitor at 90 percent of native resolution.  With that aforementioned, I am keeping for the most part between a fluctuation 29-33 FPS.  No stutter whatsoever.

This is on a 2012 Dell XPS 730x running a 4 core Intel i7-780 Extreme overclocked to 4.3 GHz's and system RAM in overclock.  GPU is the EVGA FTW 1070 8 GB'er. Monitor is the Dell U3415W at native 3440x1440

--------------------------------------------

So, with the above in play, and running SU5,  whatever 'Ultra' is within SU5, that's what I am seeing, with no stutter, pause, or vsync tear.  Ok...now for my question:

To any AVSIM fellow buddy, pal, gal....who actually OWNS, an Xbox X console, and is running MSFS on it right now...how is your SU5 or to put it another way, the Xbox version 1.0 running at 4K?   

I'm now in the 'if you can't beat 'em...join 'em mood.   For around $599.00 CDN, (edit had typed $699.00) I can get an entire upgraded (from what I have in the above...) system-in-a-box...and can take it down to my 4K 60 incher...or in the T.T. while on vacation.  Simple to take anywhere. Lift a square cube...take the power puck...and be off.  How is it running?  Does it look as good, or even better than on you computer system?    I am truly interested now to just buy one, when they become more available through Best Buy...and be done with it.  Like a few around here, I think that their brunt WILL BE to keep bolstering and promoting MSFS on their own console, before anything else gets pumped and primed on PC.  I believe that now, and for $600.00 bucks....will just 'get with the M.S. program' and enjoy MSFS on 'the cube'.

So...if anybody out there right now, HAS an Xbox X version, and IS running MSFS SU5 on it...can you please respond in a somewhat detailed response, as to how you see it running compared to your (I assume you also have a desk computer...)  P.C. version of SU5.  I am very, very curious as to what you might report.  Please be honest, and don't fret getting 'spanked or needing a fire retardant flame suit'.....I'm looking for a 'purchase and usage honesty' in your reply.  Thank you in advance, if anybody has this information and 'review' for me to read.  Thank you!

Post Edit: "Can I attach my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro flight stick to the dang thing?  That would be important. I don't fancy flying with a hand console controller...  Thanks!

Ses

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I am right now in a computer flight from Mackinaw Island, to Flint (KFNT) Michigan, and am running SU5 at full Ultra, (custom) with BLOOM as off, and Super Sampling at the full 8x8.  I am also running my 4K wide view monitor at 90 percent of native resolution.  With that aforementioned, I am keeping for the most part between a fluctuation 29-33 FPS.  No stutter whatsoever.

This is on a 2012 Dell XPS 730x running a 4 core Intel i7-780 Extreme overclocked to 4.3 GHz's and system RAM in overclock.  GPU is the EVGA FTW 1070 8 GB'er. Monitor is the Dell U3415W at native 3440x1440

--------------------------------------------

So, with the above in play, and running SU5,  whatever 'Ultra' is within SU5, that's what I am seeing, with no stutter, pause, or vsync tear.  Ok...now for my question:

To any AVSIM fellow buddy, pal, gal....who actually OWNS, an Xbox X console, and is running MSFS on it right now...how is your SU5 or to put it another way, the Xbox version 1.0 running at 4K?   

I'm now in the 'if you can't beat 'em...join 'em mood.   For around 699.00 CDN, I can get an entire upgraded (from what I have in the above...) system-in-a-box...and can take it down to my 4K 60 incher...or in the T.T. while on vacation.  Simple to take anywhere. Lift a square cube...take the power puck...and be off.  How is it running?  Does it look as good, or even better than on you computer system?    I am truly interested now to just buy one, when they become more available through Best Buy...and be done with it.  Like a few around here, I think that their brunt WILL BE to keep bolstering and promoting MSFS on their own console, before anything else gets pumped and primed on PC.  I believe that now, and for $700.00 bucks....will just 'get with the M.S. program' and enjoy MSFS on 'the cube'.

So...if anybody out there right now, HAS an Xbox X version, and IS running MSFS SU5 on it...can you please respond in a somewhat detailed response, as to how you see it running compared to your (I assume you also have a desk computer...)  P.C. version of SU5.  I am very, very curious as to what you might report.  Please be honest, and don't fret getting 'spanked or needing a fire retardant flame suit'.....I'm looking for a 'purchase and usage honesty' in your reply.  Thank you in advance, if anybody has this information and 'review' for me to read.  Thank you!

Post Edit: "Can I attach my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro flight stick to the dang thing?  That would be important. I don't fancy flying with a hand console controller...  Thanks!

Ses

Have an I7 1100K, RTX3090 PC running MSFS @ 4K in Ultra settings.  Also have a Xbox Series X running MSFS @ 4K resolution on a LG 55" OLED @ 120HZ. 

There are no settings on the XBOX to tweak so I can only guess the settings are a mix of Hign End and Ultra visually compaing to my PC . The PC still does look better overall as it should. I have only played the console wersion with the controller. You would need to pickup an Xbox approved aftermarket flightstick. Dont belive the Logitech is compatible . All I can says is to watch a ton of youtube videos to make a comparison. Xbox X is a good option if you're looking for something on a budget or a second system to play elsewhere. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Semper Fi 

It's a good point, Sesq.

But the (potential) issues I would have are:-

- Can you still use all your hardware?  Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quad, Rudder Pedals?

- Could you also still use a keyboard, and still have access to the PC version's key assignments?

The main thing I don't like about console's, is the use of Games Controllers, clunky UI, deep-level menus, etc (due to the reduced control and assignment options.

• Like 2

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

1 minute ago, JYW said:

It's a good point, Sesq.

- Can you still use all your hardware?  Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quad, Rudder Pedals?

- Could you also still use a keyboard, and still have access to the PC version's key assignments?

The main thing I don't like about console's, is the use of Games Controllers, clunky UI, deep-level menus, etc (due to the reduced control and assignment options.

MS has a list of compatible HOTAS and I'm sure it will grow and you can use keyboard/mouse

Take to the Skies with These Official Microsoft Flight Sim Accessories - Xbox Wire

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Semper Fi 

10 minutes ago, joec63 said:

MS has a list of compatible HOTAS and I'm sure it will grow and you can use keyboard/mouse

That section on Honeycomb appears to speak to two future products. An Alpha yoke with hall sensors, and a new control platform.  Interesting.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, joec63 said:

Have an I7 1100K, RTX3090 PC running MSFS @ 4K in Ultra settings.  Also have a Xbox Series X running MSFS @ 4K resolution on a LG 55" OLED @ 120HZ. 

There are no settings on the XBOX to tweak so I can only guess the settings are a mix of Hign End and Ultra visually compaing to my PC . The PC still does look better overall as it should. I have only played the console wersion with the controller. You would need to pickup an Xbox approved aftermarket flightstick. Dont belive the Logitech is compatible . All I can says is to watch a ton of youtube videos to make a comparison. Xbox X is a good option if you're looking for something on a budget or a second system to play elsewhere. 

Thank you, Joe,...and by what you have just typed...I guess it would be a certain win in my case...coming from my present desktop environment, to the jazz in the console for $599.00 CDN   Sold...and thank you. I'll use the console for MSFS and future updates. Will continue to use my desktop for P3D, XP12 (coming) and Netflix...(LOL)  Thanks again.  that is absolutely what I was looking for in a comeback, considering my older and modest (by today's standard's) Desk Top! Cheers!

Edited by Sesquashtoo

7 minutes ago, fppilot said:

That section on Honeycomb is quite confusing.  Appears to speak to one future product but two products are depicted. It appears to show the new product but also appears to show the original Alpha yoke.  So are there two Honeycomb products?

So this shows the products from Honeycomb for the console. Seperate Alpha flight stick only. Stick/Throttle combined, quadrant, pedals, and yoke

Honeycomb announces Xbox support (key.aero)

Edited by joec63
  • Upvote 1

Semper Fi 

1 hour ago, JYW said:

It's a good point, Sesq.

JYW, I know you can get very good flight sticks built for the Xbox X.  You can also get a keyboard, so...you can actually have a high end compact 'desk top' esque, for my $599.00 CDN.  I'm sold...and will get a high end flight stick, and keyboard.  I'd be picking up in one fell swoop, one heck of a great CPU/GPU combo...and the size of it...you can practically stick in your coat pocket...when on the go!   I can take it over to my son's and we both can MSFS, together.   I guess, for his birthday...I'm gonna have to shell out another $600.00 for him.  No problem...that I will do...if he shows a real "WOW dad...where has this been?!?"  comment or three.  While I was flight simming late at night, my son didn't have much exposure to my 'addiction'.  I'll report back when I get the 'computer-in-a-cube' and whisk it over to his house...lol!  Thanks for all the comments, folks...much, much appreciated!  I'm in....I'm in....

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, joec63 said:

So this show the products from Honeycomb for the console. Seperate Alpha flight stick only. Stick/Throttle combined, quadrant, pedals, and yoke

Thank you sir...I'm in...am going to order one, or maybe two, one for myself, and one for my son's up and coming birthday.  At $599.00 CDN for what it holds inside, as compared to what I have on my desk top now...I simply can't lose! 🙂 Cheers!

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, joec63 said:

So this show the products from Honeycomb for the console. Seperate Alpha flight stick only. Stick/Throttle combined, quadrant, pedals, and yoke

Interesting that the Microsoft list mentions hall sensors for the updated Alpha but the the article at Key,Aero makes no mention of that.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

18 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

JYW, I know you can get very good flight sticks built for the Xbox X.  You can also get a keyboard, so...you can actually have a high end compact 'desk top' esque, for my $699.00 CDN.  I'm sold...and will get a high end flight stick, and keyboard.  I'd be picking up in one fell swoop, one heck of a great CPU/GPU combo...and the size of it...you can practically stick in your coat pocket...when on the go!   I can take it over to my son's and we both can MSFS, together.   I guess, for his birthday...I'm gonna have to shell out another $700.00 for him.  No problem...that I will do...if he shows a real "WOW dad...where has this been?!?"  comment or three.  While I was flight simming late at night, my son didn't have much exposure to my 'addiction'.  I'll report back when I get the 'computer-in-a-cube' and whisk it over to his house...lol!  Thanks for all the comments, folks...much, much appreciated!  I'm in....I'm in....

Great post, Sesp.   I am in the unfortunate position of my son (aged 9) having well and truly caught the sim bug..... unfortunately not the flight sim bug;  he's absolutely headlong mad into train simulation!!  (despite my constantly trying to get him "in the air" to convert him to flight sims).

I guess he just prefers his Dash 7s to his Dash 8s. 😄

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GE_Dash_7_Series

Edited by JYW
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Just went to the Best Buy Canada site...and correction...I was typing $699.00 throughout this post, ...nope...my bad....it's $599.00 in Canada...woo hoo!  LOL.

"Deck the halls with lots of Xbox X ...la, la, la, la, laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, la, la, la laaaaaaaaaaaa.  Christmas for Ses, in August... La, la laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Just went to the Best Buy Canada site...and correction...I was typing $699.00...nope...my bad....it's $599.00 in Canada...woo hoo!  LOL.

lol

• Like 1

Semper Fi 

"Oh Christmas Tree, oh Christmas Tree, .please don't wilt in the August heat, oh Christmas Tree...."

Santa says you were a good boy, Ses...here's your very own Xbox X....happy August!

I love Christmas carols... 😉