Sign in to follow this  
737_800

Why is CPU so hot with MSFS ?

Why is my i9-10850k going so hot with MSFS? Even it only utilizies max. 30% auf CPU power, it goes up to >85°C. Room Temp about 21-22°C. Running Cinebech for 3 minutes rises temps up about 99°C, were I have to aboard. Cooler is a Noctua D15 in a fractical design r7.

Don't understand this. MSFS is only about 10°C below Cinebech temps even it only uses 70% less cpu power. I haven't changed anything on my setting, however, I remember that I could stay below 80° or slightly above with same config and SU5 at certain flights. Can someone explain?

30 minutes ago, 737_800 said:

Why is my i9-10850k going so hot with MSFS? Even it only utilizies max. 30% auf CPU power, it goes up to >85°C. Room Temp about 21-22°C. Running Cinebech for 3 minutes rises temps up about 99°C, were I have to aboard. Cooler is a Noctua D15 in a fractical design r7.

Don't understand this. MSFS is only about 10°C below Cinebech temps even it only uses 70% less cpu power. I haven't changed anything on my setting, however, I remember that I could stay below 80° or slightly above with same config and SU5 at certain flights. Can someone explain?

Neither temp is normal... my 10850K is always between 60 and 62 °C in MSFS. I never tried Cinebench but 99 °C don't sound right at all.

Probably the Noctua isn't enough for it, or the MB is applying a too high voltage to it to keep it stable. This is unnecessary most of the times, see here:

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

99°C is, even for Cinebench, very hot. Since both your cooler and case (stock) should be fine, your cooler might not be mounted right (added too much or too little thermal paste, leaving the plastic tear-off, fans mounted wrong way) or something is restricting airflow in your case. The stock case should be fine (not great) for cooling but if you have added fans they might disturb the airflow.

What are your idle temperatures?

Edited by orchestra_nl
idle temps
  • Like 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

2 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

Neither temp is normal... my 10850K is always between 60 and 62 °C in MSFS. I never tried Cinebench but 99 °C don't sound right at all.

Probably the Noctua isn't enough for it, or the MB is applying a too high voltage to it to keep it stable. This is unnecessary most of the times, see here:

I have oc'd to 4,8 Ghz on adaptive mode to 1.250v on LLC Mode 5 (MSI Board).

2 hours ago, orchestra_nl said:

99°C is, even for Cinebench, very hot. Since both your cooler and case (stock) should be fine, your cooler might not be mounted right (added too much or too little thermal paste, leaving the plastic tear-off, fans mounted wrong way) or something is restricting airflow in your case. The stock case should be fine (not great) for cooling but if you have added fans they might disturb the airflow.

What are your idle temperatures?

I had taken a pic of the thermal paste I used, but I cannot find it. How much is less how much is to much? How can know if I mounted the cooler with to much pressure? Fans ought be right direcection, I haven't added further fans expect one behind and two at the front. Here is a HWinfo Screenshot after reboot and waiting for about 2 minutes.

screenshot1581jjm5.png

Edited by 737_800

There must be something wrong with your cooling, my I9 10900k never gets hotter than 65 C, normally it is at 60-62 C under heavy load by the game, I use a Noctua D-15 cooler.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I have that same cooler on a 4770k running @ 4.9ghz on my second pc and it never gets that hot. 

12 minutes ago, 737_800 said:

Just an idea, as I don't know about MSI BIOS or settings: Have you checked your actual VCore while running MSFS? As far as I remember from overclocking my system I found adaptive mode a bit obscure, as you would enter a factor that is not the voltage the cpu will draw under load. You would have to check the actual voltage under load and adjust the factor accordingly.

• Like 2

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

7 minutes ago, Tom_L said:

Just an idea, as I don't know about MSI BIOS or settings: Have you checked your actual VCore while running MSFS? As far as I remember from overclocking my system I found adaptive mode a bit obscure, as you would enter a factor that is not the voltage the cpu will draw under load. You would have to check the actual voltage under load and adjust the factor accordingly.

I have just checked some Hwinfo screenshots that I had taken after two flights. Max Vcore had been 1,284v. At one flight (LTAI-LEAL) I reached max 77°C after 2 hours of flight and LOWK-LFLP after completing the flight with 1,284v max 83°C with room temp of 25,3°C. Today I have only 21,9°C room temperature and the temps went up to 86°C on my flight from EFVA-ENSB. I don't understand why I don't have realible temperatures. Also EFVA-ENSB is mostly over water.

How do I adjust this factor and what is to be?

1 hour ago, 737_800 said:

4.8 should be its default frequency when all cores are used. I have no overclock and mine works at 4.8 GHz, boosting up to 5.2 when only one core is used.

The voltage is OK too, probably the Noctua is not as good as the reviews say... I am always sceptic when I see those comparisons with liquid AIOs.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

3 minutes ago, 737_800 said:

ow do I adjust this factor and what is to be?

Sorry, no idea, as every BIOS is different and my overclock experience on my Gigabyte Aorus Master is more than one year old (never touch a running system...). However, your VCore values seem reasonable. My i7 9900k is running MSFS at 75° give or take, and I only looked because of your post. Otherwise I'm satisfied that the system is running stable and I have no CTD's whatsoever. 86° is a tad hot, but it is far from damaging your CPU - if it gets too hot, you will notice as the cores will clock down automatically to prevent damage. So maybe you should let the temps be temps an enjoy an otherwise stable system (provided it is)?

10 minutes ago, 737_800 said:

Also EFVA-ENSB is mostly over water.

Yeah, but neither the aircraft engines nor your CPU know 😉

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

As others have said 99°C is very hot. My CPU (10850k) is water cooled and it doesn’t get warmer than 72. Something is wrong with your CPU cooling, as your voltage is not that high. Either try new paste or get an all in one water cooler. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

2 hours ago, RobJC said:

As others have said 99°C is very hot. My CPU (10850k) is water cooled and it doesn’t get warmer than 72. Something is wrong with your CPU cooling, as your voltage is not that high. Either try new paste or get an all in one water cooler. 

Water cooling isn't necessary and the Noctua cooler should be OK.

3 hours ago, 737_800 said:

I had taken a pic of the thermal paste I used, but I cannot find it. How much is less how much is to much? How can know if I mounted the cooler with to much pressure? Fans ought be right direcection, I haven't added further fans expect one behind and two at the front. Here is a HWinfo Screenshot after reboot and waiting for about 2 minutes.

Idle temperatures seems OK. If you use the stock fan setup in the case it should be fine, and the Noctua should be able to cool the CPU as good as any but the best water coolers can.
As for thermal paste, usually the size of a pea is advised. If you would spread the paste with credit card, it should be not more than a thin film on top of the CPU heatspreader. Both fans on the Noctua should be blowing towards the back of the case. There should be a little arrow on the side of the fan to indicate its direction.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

8 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

Then he has a thermal paste problem. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

12 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

Idle temperatures seems OK. If you use the stock fan setup in the case it should be fine, and the Noctua should be able to cool the CPU as good as any but the best water coolers can.
As for thermal paste, usually the size of a pea is advised. If you would spread the paste with credit card, it should be not more than a thin film on top of the CPU heatspreader. Both fans on the Noctua should be blowing towards the back of the case. There should be a little arrow on the side of the fan to indicate its direction.

Thank you for your answer. I will get some isopropanol tomorrow and put some new thermal paste on it. I just can hope that this will solve the issue.

I9-9900K@5ghz runs from 45-55C depending on ambient, using CoreTemp, w/ a Noctua cooler.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X