Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

(TFDi) Boeing 717 Over Northern Spain...

[Years ago, in my younger...days...🙂..., I could do (very) long road trips rather casually...now they are not so easy...especially with the added challenges of the current circumstances. After recently (and safely) completing the ~2,300 miles round-trip (roadway) visit, to Chicago and, back,...for a bit of curiosity and fun, I was today pondering...so, I inquired, "Distance from New York to Greenland", and my internet friend (promptly) answered 2,394 miles, showing me a direct route, on the Global MAP, from New York to (somewhere in) central Greenland. More practically, though, the distance from New York to Kangerlussuaq (Greenland's largest and busiest airport, on its west coast) is actually 2,020 miles, and one of those A- or B- long-haul jets could easily cover it under 6 hours...but, it took me ~(34-35) automobile hours, to cover roughly the same distance, by road,...Oh well...that's why we fly...Anyway, after all that driving, I was looking, today, to do a bit of (virtual) flying...so, here we go, please read the account, below, if you wish to, or, just feel free to directly jump to the pictures below....]

While re-examining a few (recent) member posts, here, showing glimpses of the Apennines mountains of Italy, I recalled that I'd recently posted a flight over the mountains of Southern Spain, including a fly-past of the (11,413 ft) Mulhacén, the highest mountain in continental Spain. But, Spain has many other (spectacular) mountain ranges...both in its central and northern regions...probably the most famous of which is the Pyrenees Range (the high wall between France and Spain, serving as a natural border between the two countries). So, I've wished to explore these mountains, in this post,...

Regarding the a/c of choice, here, as I was reading a bit, today, about my favorite MD series of planes, I noted that the longest twinjet MD (-90), is listed as beginning with variant "-10" and ending with (proposed) "-55". However there was another (proposed) MD-90 (the MD-95). The MD-95, a modern (intended) replacement of DC-9, though, traces its roots back to 1980s, would be renamed B717, after the merger of MD with Boeing, in 1997. This Rolls-Royce (only) powered B717, shares the same type rating as the DC-9, though its avionics suite closely mimics that of the (much larger) MD-11...! On a nostalgic note, it is as if, the B717, carried the very last breath and will of the remarkable Douglas heritage...it would be also the very last plane built in the (historic and former) Douglas Aircraft plant, in Southern California, where the very first (commercial) Douglas a/c (the DC-2), that had started it all, was also built...!

So, here we go, with a set of pictures of the interestingly amalgamated (DC + MD + Boeing) twin-engined jetliner B717. Here, I wish to point out, though, one small observation, a print "Proudly All Boeing" seen on this plane...(you may have to strain your eyes a bit, but, in one of my close-up shots, please look for it, just below the Boeing Logo, under the rearmost cockpit window,...the print appears on both sides of the front fuselage...)...The other reason for my selection of this a/c (SIM) is the accidental (but curious) discovery of a B717 repaint, in the color of Alaska Airlines,...after all, who does not like Alaska...🙂...Anyway, please find below, my Alaska Airlines Boeing 717, flying, in northern Spain, west to east, from Vigo Airport (LEVX) towards Barcelona–El Prat Airport (LEBL), fully guided by the (on-board) FMS, but, aided by only two fictitious (user-defined) LAT-LONG (en-route) waypoints as follow (please also see VC/ND Route shots, for these two WPTs and the T/D point):

1. [N43W004] - The highest point (Torre de Cerredo peak, 8,687 ft) on the western range of the flight
  2. [N42W000] - The highest point (Mount Pico Aneto, 11,170 ft) on the eastern range of the flight

I've shown (interior) ND shots and (exterior) terrain shots, while being near/atop these two mountain peaks/wpts. Please also note, taking liberty of my virtual world, for a bit of extra effect, my last 2 screenshots reflect my flight state, past Mount Pico Aneto, and, just after the [PROF] function of the FMS, has (automatically) initiated my descent (the [PROG] page comfortingly assuring me that (LEBL) 07R Rwy is only 80 nms away). And, as I fly southward, over and past the Pyrenees, towards Barcelona, the brilliant (morning) Sun is rising up the horizon on my left...across from the (virtual) Captain side windows...(OK...do excuse this virtual pilot's daydream a bit...🙂...)...

Hope you enjoy this collection of pictures of this (unique) plane, flying at 29,000 ft, while exploring these (unique) mountain ranges of northern Spain...!

Happy Labor Day to the folks in U.S., and a happy weekend to all...!! And, good flying...!!

[TFDi (B717-200), Alaska Airlines (1990s livery) repaint by Brian T, MSE (Spain), REX]

sjG74h.png

lqeIG0.png

A2cFUc.png

si2oKZ.png

DAj59Q.png

wpDCIS.png

tEtV9y.png

8lNy6d.png

i1hx2w.png

3xREe5.png

3kHNSv.png

HiufA5.png

bp5sub.png

fzQfDz.png

csJ13c.png

Be20xV.png

wbjEYy.png

nyw4T4.png

cbls4z.png

HRmtH8.png

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

Great set of shots with another plane i like..

cheers 😉

• Like 1

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

Gorgeous shots...this livery was very great on this plane!! 😉 

• Like 1

Banner-FS2-Crew-Beta-Tester.jpg

t-l-chargement

Great shots of an Alaskan gone astray 😀

I like the Douglas twinjets and the Boeing 717 in particular. It´s a pity that Boeing stopped its production and further development.

Throughout the seventies until early years of this century our home carrier Austrian Airlines operated a Douglas only fleet of DC-9 series and later MD-80 series and they were a regular view on many European airports. I enjoyed many flights on them and still have fond memories of that rocket-like take-off these twinjets had.

• Like 1

Intel core i5-9600KF,  ASRock H310CM-HDV/M2, G.Skill DDR4-2666 32GB, Asus Geforce RTX 4060 TI 16GB, Samsung SSD 980 1 TB M.2 SSD

Thanks, pmplayer/Alaska738/duesenwerni,....for the kind words...!!

15 hours ago, Alaska738 said:

...this livery was very great on this plane!! 😉

I wonder just for a bit why you would say that....🙂....

8 hours ago, duesenwerni said:

Throughout the seventies until early years of this century our home carrier Austrian Airlines operated a Douglas only fleet of DC-9 series and later MD-80 series and they were a regular view on many European airports. I enjoyed many flights on them and still have fond memories of that rocket-like take-off these twinjets had.

Yes, Austrian Airlines was loyal to DC9s/MD80s..I recall...when I'd done a story on Swiss (another DC/MD loyalist), I'd read and made some notes about Austrian....will see if I can revive it for a post...thanks...!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, P_7878 said:

I wonder just for a bit why you would say that....🙂....

I love the 717! 🙂 

Edited by Alaska738
  • Like 1

Banner-FS2-Crew-Beta-Tester.jpg

t-l-chargement

Nice shots, I always like to see someone enjoying my paints! 

• Like 1

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

6 hours ago, thibodba57 said:

Nice shots, I always like to see someone enjoying my paints! 

That's how you repainters get paid for your silent work...I've heard...🙂...

Thanks for dropping in, Brian, appreciated it...(And, glad I ran into this one, quite fortuitously,...excellent work, as always,...)...!!

Great history and some outstanding shots, P_7878! Over my business life I had the pleasure to fly in a lot of different planes, but for some reason, never on the DC 9/MD80,90. Really strange, coming to think of it. 

• Like 1

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080