Sign in to follow this  
Guest mickp

ATC Improvement?

Guest SimFan71

This has been a great discussion, espcially in regards to handling regional differences - very interesting stuff.Things I had hoped for - mostly speed call outs during approach to help keep me in line with the AI planes, and holding patterns at busy airports. I like the idea of being able to declare an emergency too (sure, hopefully not need often, but handy if I forget to put on fuel or when you have failures turned on - though I don't since you just can't get the times long enough to make it fun, I mean if real aircraft had an engine failure every 999 minutes I would never get on one!!! LOL).I had hoped for at least some real noticable ATC improvements in FSX, and while I have gotten used to the new ATC window, I don't like it still particularly, it's too intrusive - why I now have dual monitor setup and pull it over there along with the other panels (which I wish would save their positions when I save my flight! I know they should, they just don't!).Like someone else here said too - the acknowledgement of other aircraft also doesn't seem quite right - I'm flying IFR and get asked to acknowledge the position of another plane when I'm in thick cloud, I can't see it from the cockpit (often not even in spot mode and rotating around myself!) and they are at totally different altitudes, surely that isn't how things are really??? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Plus, sometimes, they are on your altitude and right on you but by the time you respond they are past you and luckilly you missed them! I have to admit, I myself often just do respond I can see them without even bothering to look!

True -- EditVoicepack 3.1 updated online with the latest mods does include wind readouts in landing and IFR takeoff clearances, even when wind is calm. But by default only if you compile the voicepack gvp (File/Update Voicepack in EVP) using the international (ICAO) phraseology option. If you choose the FAA option, the winds will be missing, unless you select the mods manually from the EVP Standard ModificationsPhraseologyICAO tree before compiling.The two mods you need to select to include winds in the FAA voicepack are labeled TWR_AC_CLEARED_TO_LAND and TWR_AC_CLEARED_TAKEOFF_IFR.To tell which voicepack version is compiled, listen for any comm frequency change instruction. ICAO uses the word "decimal", FAA uses "point".Note that the takeoff clearance mod only applies to IFR flights. Wind callouts in VFR takeoff clearances can also be added, but require more work, using the custom phraseology editing tools in EVP.While Lars is still developing EVP 4 for FSX, the voicepack gvp created with EVP 3.1 works in both FS9 and FSX.John

Guest drdaru1

can this be done with editvoicepack?