Sign in to follow this  
frankla

DX10 picture..

>This is your work?>>JeffNo, it most certainly is not. I was just trying to figure out how I would go about creating that effect with DX10.

Here is another:DX9http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/168357.jpgDX10 (artist impression)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/168358.jpgI recommend a look at some of the later crysis videos in action, real waves and volumetric clouds all in real-time in vista with DX10.http://www.crysis-online.com/Media/A sight to behold.It certainly makes the above impressions a real possibility, I can't wait to see what Phil and the team have in the pipeline for us. :)

Bernard

I hope that we can get decent framerates, as well, with the DX10 update. I was planning on doing a complete rebuild last August, but have pushed it back to this August. This was meant to allow Vista to mature a little, as well as letting DX10 hardware develop. IMHO, the DX10 update will make or break FSX in terms of it becoming the 'mainline' sim. Time will tell.

Guest robains

Doable, but just not practical -- you'd have to change speed definition from fps (frames per second) to mpf (minutes per frame). I've seen this type of rendering done on clustered graphics boxes -- not suitable for real time though.Toss out water bubbles and some other wave detail, add better water to shore blending and increase distance detail -- it would be good enough and practical to do with current high end hardware.I hope Phil Taylor rethinks SLI support modes -- there is more optimization to be gained there than I think he realizes. It would be a huge benefit to add the flexibility for up scaled hardware.OpenGL gets my vote too, scaling has never really been a big problem there and new versions of OpenGL don't rely on the OS kernel/interface -- this approach would certainly have avoided the entire DX10 issue with it not being available for WinXP.Rob.

>OpenGL gets my vote too, scaling has never really been a big>problem there and new versions of OpenGL don't rely on the OS>kernel/interface -- this approach would certainly have avoided>the entire DX10 issue with it not being available for WinXP.This would be even less likely than Ford deciding to use Chevy engines in their vehicles......ain't gonna happen! ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest robains

I agree, unlikely, but not out of the question, just will not be done by Microsoft and I'm sure there will be enough road blocks to deter but perhaps not eliminate openGL.As far as Ford & Chevy -- I wouldn't go to the bank on that. 60% of Ford's components come from outside the US (Canada, Japan, Mexico, China), but as far as market share: GM is #1 at 24%, Toyota #2 at 16%, Honda #3 at 15%, Ford #4 at 13%, 32% the rest... Toyota Prius sales have elevated it to the #2 spot (of which I'm a proud owner).If I were Ford, teaming up with Chevy might be a good business decision to fend off Toyota and Honda.Rob.

Guest The Wizard of Oz

I would suggest you go have a look at the Silent Hunter site.Their water renditions are a step above FSX using DX9 standard shaders and fast Fourier transforms.http://silenthunter4.uk.ubi.com/videos.phpDownload and look at video: SH4_DevDiary_EP2.wmvAny comments Phil?Cheers.

>>If I were Ford, teaming up with Chevy might be a good business>decision to fend off Toyota and Honda.>heh, I think donkeys will fly before Ford will team with Chevy. now, maybe another brand of GM, like Buick, Ford might team with one of those. Or DaimlerChysler. But I can't imagine Chevy.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>I would suggest you go have a look at the Silent Hunter>site.>Their water renditions are a step above FSX using DX9 standard>shaders and fast Fourier transforms.>http://silenthunter4.uk.ubi.com/videos.php>>Download and look at video: SH4_DevDiary_EP2.wmv>>Any comments Phil?>>Cheers.I guess the water has to look good in the Silent Hunter Sims ... and it does :)Noticed they are thinking of making a DX10 patch later for the forthcoming SH4 as well.I'm looking fwd to this sim.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

>Phil has a lot of explaining to do..About what?________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

Guest tcable

>>>>If I were Ford, teaming up with Chevy might be a good>business>>decision to fend off Toyota and Honda.>>>>heh, I think donkeys will fly before Ford will team with>Chevy. now, maybe another brand of GM, like Buick, Ford might>team with one of those. Or DaimlerChysler. But I can't>imagine Chevy.>>>Rhett>>AMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS>A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD>250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian caseGM and Ford have some joint engineering projects- the new 6 Speed transmission being one of them- It's in the Saturn Outlook, Ford Taurus X (Freestyle), Ford 500, Ford Edge etc. It's the wave of the future at least in cars.

I'm still curious as to who this Phil is, that has to do some explaining and why?Maybe I've missed something?