Sign in to follow this  
frankla

DX10 picture..

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Bert, I do believe (and someone correct me if I am wrong as I am sure someone will... :) ), that is an artist's rendition of what is expected.

That's an artist's rendition I believe, not an actual screen shot.World of difference.It would be great if FSX with DX10 looks like that, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Here's for hoping that I'm wrong.Cheers,Bryan

It is an artist's rendition of what DX10 will look like

>>It is an artist's rendition of what DX10 will look like Exactly. Don't allow the Flight Simulator X logo on the bottom-left fool you...

Yes, those are the DX10 "magic screenies" that I promised to discuss in the future; once we have made progress on DX10. That way I can comment to what is actually going to make it in DX10 rather than either what the images show or the initial plan.

Just wait until Fall of 2007. Then you can see something that doesn't look remotely as good as that, but if you're big into hype there will be plenty to go around!

OK.. thanks for clarifying that... I can stop holding my breath then :-)

hhehe. Wouldn't change a thing. There was a big discussion about that, too, McCrash.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

I can see DX10 making significant improvements to lighting effects such as simulated in the impression, but volumetric water (e.g. the 'wavelettes" portrayed) - would that not also need some changes in how FSX simulates water today? It would be soooo cool if it did, & I'm sure future trainsimmers would appreciate it too, since they will be travelling so much closer to ground level... :>)

>I can see DX10 making significant improvements to lighting>effects such as simulated in the impression, but volumetric>water (e.g. the 'wavelettes" portrayed) - would that not also>need some changes in how FSX simulates water today? It would>be soooo cool if it did, & I'm sure future trainsimmers would>appreciate it too, since they will be travelling so much>closer to ground level... :>)I believe that was done with an eye towards geometry shaders, that could deform or create water geometry (i.e. waves) then pass the vertices back to the pipeline where wave height would determine coloration or other pixel shaders, for example, things like the whitecaps.Of course, this is all just my speculation. I was certainly not the artist, but when trying to correlate the decisions made when creating that rendition with the new features, that's what I thought of.

Maybe we should get back to accurate flight simulation features and leave the waves for BoatSim?SD

>This is your work?>>JeffNo, it most certainly is not. I was just trying to figure out how I would go about creating that effect with DX10.

Here is another:DX9http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/168357.jpgDX10 (artist impression)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/168358.jpgI recommend a look at some of the later crysis videos in action, real waves and volumetric clouds all in real-time in vista with DX10.http://www.crysis-online.com/Media/A sight to behold.It certainly makes the above impressions a real possibility, I can't wait to see what Phil and the team have in the pipeline for us. :)

I hope that we can get decent framerates, as well, with the DX10 update. I was planning on doing a complete rebuild last August, but have pushed it back to this August. This was meant to allow Vista to mature a little, as well as letting DX10 hardware develop. IMHO, the DX10 update will make or break FSX in terms of it becoming the 'mainline' sim. Time will tell.

Doable, but just not practical -- you'd have to change speed definition from fps (frames per second) to mpf (minutes per frame). I've seen this type of rendering done on clustered graphics boxes -- not suitable for real time though.Toss out water bubbles and some other wave detail, add better water to shore blending and increase distance detail -- it would be good enough and practical to do with current high end hardware.I hope Phil Taylor rethinks SLI support modes -- there is more optimization to be gained there than I think he realizes. It would be a huge benefit to add the flexibility for up scaled hardware.OpenGL gets my vote too, scaling has never really been a big problem there and new versions of OpenGL don't rely on the OS kernel/interface -- this approach would certainly have avoided the entire DX10 issue with it not being available for WinXP.Rob.

>OpenGL gets my vote too, scaling has never really been a big>problem there and new versions of OpenGL don't rely on the OS>kernel/interface -- this approach would certainly have avoided>the entire DX10 issue with it not being available for WinXP.This would be even less likely than Ford deciding to use Chevy engines in their vehicles......ain't gonna happen! ;)

I agree, unlikely, but not out of the question, just will not be done by Microsoft and I'm sure there will be enough road blocks to deter but perhaps not eliminate openGL.As far as Ford & Chevy -- I wouldn't go to the bank on that. 60% of Ford's components come from outside the US (Canada, Japan, Mexico, China), but as far as market share: GM is #1 at 24%, Toyota #2 at 16%, Honda #3 at 15%, Ford #4 at 13%, 32% the rest... Toyota Prius sales have elevated it to the #2 spot (of which I'm a proud owner).If I were Ford, teaming up with Chevy might be a good business decision to fend off Toyota and Honda.Rob.

I would suggest you go have a look at the Silent Hunter site.Their water renditions are a step above FSX using DX9 standard shaders and fast Fourier transforms.http://silenthunter4.uk.ubi.com/videos.phpDownload and look at video: SH4_DevDiary_EP2.wmvAny comments Phil?Cheers.

>>If I were Ford, teaming up with Chevy might be a good business>decision to fend off Toyota and Honda.>heh, I think donkeys will fly before Ford will team with Chevy. now, maybe another brand of GM, like Buick, Ford might team with one of those. Or DaimlerChysler. But I can't imagine Chevy.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

>I would suggest you go have a look at the Silent Hunter>site.>Their water renditions are a step above FSX using DX9 standard>shaders and fast Fourier transforms.>http://silenthunter4.uk.ubi.com/videos.php>>Download and look at video: SH4_DevDiary_EP2.wmv>>Any comments Phil?>>Cheers.I guess the water has to look good in the Silent Hunter Sims ... and it does :)Noticed they are thinking of making a DX10 patch later for the forthcoming SH4 as well.I'm looking fwd to this sim.