Sign in to follow this  
morpheous

Where do addons go now?

Hello,

Do we still put addons in the community folder or do they go somewhere else? Reason I ask is cause the addons I have currently in the community folder dont seem to show up anymore in the sim?

Jim

Jim Vasto

The addons work in the community folder for me.

14 minutes ago, morpheous said:

Do we still put addons in the community folder or do they go somewhere else? Reason I ask is cause the addons I have currently in the community folder dont seem to show up anymore in the sim?

Mine are working fine.  How long did it take for your update to download and install?  

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Use AddonLinker and you will get a better overview of your add ons, it is the absolute best program for MSFS imo.

• Like 2

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

ok my bad, I recently reinstalled MSFS and realized that I didn't point it to the previous directory so now my new community folder is on my C drive where it previously was on my B drive... 

thanks for the replies.

Jim

Edited by morpheous

Jim Vasto

9 hours ago, Ixoye said:

AddonLinker ... is the absolute best program for MSFS imo

The only look at its interface screenshots made me flinch.

4 hours ago, Capt Timeter said:

The only look at its interface screenshots made me flinch.

It looks more complicated than it is, it is actually a very simple program.

• Like 4

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

4 hours ago, John Fields said:

Hi,

Addon Linker is a great program and it is very easy to use it.

Regards.

Hey John, so what are the benefits over simply having a community folder full of addons?

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

30 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Hey John, so what are the benefits over simply having a community folder full of addons?

If you only have a few addons, there's not much benefit.

If you have a lot of addons, it makes it easy to turn individual or groups of addons on and off as needed. It's well known that having a lot of addons can impact the loading time of the sim. Also, if things are not working right, it makes it easy to turn off addons as part of the troubleshooting process. It also allows you to organize your addons in their own subfolders (something that can't be done in the Community folder).

Initial setup can take a bit of thinking and moving of files/folders around, but once done, it's easy peasy to use. Which might explain why it has just shy of 100,000 downloads from Flightsim.to.

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

37 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

what are the benefits over simply having a community folder full of addons?

For me, with a stock of approaching 2000 addons (including sceneries, aircraft, liveries and misc bits and pieces) it's all about loading times and reduced likelihood of clashes.

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

1 hour ago, andy1252 said:

2000 addons 

:ohmy:

1 hour ago, JimBrown said:

If you have a lot of addons, it makes it easy to turn individual or groups of addons on and off as needed. It's well known that having a lot of addons can impact the loading time of the sim. Also, if things are not working right, it makes it easy to turn off addons as part of the troubleshooting process. It also allows you to organize your addons in their own subfolders (something that can't be done in the Community folder).

Initial setup can take a bit of thinking and moving of files/folders around, but once done, it's easy peasy to use. Which might explain why it has just shy of 100,000 downloads from Flightsim.to.

...jim

Ah ha, that seems to make sense. Thanks for the info Jim.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

2 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Hi, Rockliffe,

If you have a large quantity of addons the time of the start of MFSF is very long. 

I have a huge quantity (Tb) of addons. I have them organized by continents, countries and so on. I have also utilities and aircrafts.

With Addon Linker you can select the airports, landscape scenery, aircraft... you want before your flight.

Also, you can have all your addons in a separate driver. I have them in a fast 8 Tb external disc.

Believe me. It’s very convenient.

Regards.

Edited by John Fields
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, John Fields said:

Hi, Rockliffe,

If you have a large quantity of addons the time of the start of MFSF is very long. 

I have a huge quantity (Tb) of addons. I have them organized by continents, countries and so on. I have also utilities and aircrafts.

With Addon Linker you can select the airports, landscape scenery, aircraft... you want before your flight.

Also, you can have all your addons in a separate driver. I have them in a fast 8 Tb external disc.

Regards.

Sold!

• Upvote 1

Howard

On 10/21/2021 at 6:48 PM, John Fields said:

Hi, Rockliffe,

Regards.

On 10/21/2021 at 5:10 PM, andy1252 said:

For me, with a stock of approaching 2000 addons (including sceneries, aircraft, liveries and misc bits and pieces) it's all about loading times and reduced likelihood of clashes.

On 10/21/2021 at 5:10 PM, JimBrown said:

...jim

Hey fellas, just downloaded the Addon Linker... wow, what a great bit of kit! Yes, you're all right , it looks far more complicated than it actually is. Soon sussed it and now using it. Thanks all. :biggrin:

• Like 3

Howard