Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Do you feel that Asobo was a good choice in making MSFS 2020

MS/Asobo get a A+++ rating for how this has progressed thus far.  Their targeting to Xbox, while at the same time PC, gives them the biggest shot at a growing market share.  Another P3D/XP for all other details present in a mature flight sim, leaving out the massive honey that scenery, atmosphere & lighting brings, would have been just that--another P3D/XP.  They saw full well the obvious path forward was to make something so compelling even people with whom flight simulation wasn't on the radar would be intrigued, and indeed they have, in spades.  You could see this writing on the wall from very early on which left me perplexed by myriad people on Avsim who repeatedly whined about simulator basics being ignored.  I've always maintained these things, simulator basics (as complex as they can be in something like P3D/XP), are the very easy part to do, whereas what we see now in what makes MSFS so compelling was truly the hard part to get right:  scenery, atmospherics, lighting and all in a performance-friendly package scaled to a wide range of hardware capability including a console. Pure magic!   This is why SU6, in a very short period of time, addressed a whole bunch of those details to polish off the fine points in the engine thus far--it was all fine-tuning, no major overhauls required.  A+++ rating for Asobo, and always has been!

• Like 4

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

7 minutes ago, Mike S KPDX said:

Collimation has no impact, application or use on a monitor system.  It requires distance in excess of about 5' minimum between the collimated image and a scenery image.  Your eyes are focused on the fixed distance to the monitor at all times (yes, even in VR).

Doesn't matter, Mike: it simply attests to our suspicion that many people on the Asobo team are not at the (aviation) technical level that we think they need to be at.

• Like 1

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

At this point... I think we are stuck with Asobo going forward, whether we like them or not... The SIM is too far down the rabbit hole for someone new to take over, and I don't see Asobo releasing any of their IP to another party...  I am sure Microsoft puts a lot of pressure on these guys to constantly improve the SIM, and release updates on dates, which force Asobo to drop the ball sometimes, but I myself find myself coming back to MSFS all the time... have hardly used P3D these days coz if find it looks boring visually...

Just my thoughts...

Edited by Gadget FPV
  • Like 2

Faisal Niazi

3 minutes ago, Gadget FPV said:

At this point... I think we are stuck with Asobo going forward

'Stuck'?  Fortunate is the correct word!

• Like 5

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

@Gadget FPV  Yes - there's not a lot of choice - the realism of the scenery in MSFS is something we've hoped for with every iteration of the sim, all the way back to the early 80's.   Most of us, I suspect, would just like our old interface back, along with "one problem - one fix". I don't need "Rah! Rah! You can fly over the Himalayas. Wow!' 
(sigh)  I'm sure they'll fix my logbook at some point. .  ("moving forward")

Edited by Paul J

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

3 minutes ago, Noel said:

'Stuck'?  Fortunate is the correct word!

Yes, you are right, "Fortunate is the correct word".... I was trying to cover everyone in the thread... I believe we are "fortunate", yes we will always complain, thats us being human... but this SIM has come a long way since launch.... many times I fly over a new area and am in awe of what I am seeing below my aircraft, stunning....

• Like 4

Faisal Niazi

4 hours ago, overspeed3 said:

They omitted many features of FSX, but they changed or added other features that FSX lacked.

Yep, and they broke and removed many good features that worked fine and pulled over many bugs FSX had 😉

1 hour ago, Capt Timeter said:

Yep, and they broke and removed many good features that worked fine and pulled over many bugs FSX had 😉

I guess the MSFS bashing is going to start on this thread. 🤓

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I guess the MSFS bashing is going to start on this thread. 🤓

Or maybe just an objective and sober look? I'm just not sugar-coating, that's all. But I'm ready to give credit where credit is due. However, what's the point in doing that? They know how good they are without our affections. Pointing out issues is more practical.

1 minute ago, Capt Timeter said:

Or maybe just an objective and sober look? I'm just not sugar-coating, that's all. But I'm ready to give credit where credit is due. However, what's the point in doing that? They know how good they are without our affections. Pointing out issues is more practical.

Yeah, join the whiners I guess.  

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

4 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Yeah, join the whiners I guess.  

Just like that: either black or white, nothing in between. Not very mature for a person claiming to be 80 years old.

• Like 1

Just now, Capt Timeter said:

Just like that: either black or white, nothing in between. Not very mature for a person claiming to be 80 years old.

Just get tired of people like you, that just join a forum, and then start complaining about bugs in the sim,, Guess you earned a place on my blocked list already.. Ciao...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Capt Timeter said:

They heavily relied on the FSX source code. In fact, MSFS is built on it.

Where does this internet lore come from?  I hear it regularly, typically presented authoritatively.  Both of those comments are almost meaningless w/o going into exactly what is meant by, 'relied on', and 'is built on'.  Clearly, beyond all equivocation, MSFS is so vastly different than FSX that only remnants are visible now.  It is akin to saying Homo sapiens heavily relied on and is built on Pan troglodytes genetics.  Sure, but really that's where the similarity ends ultimately.

• Like 2

Noel

"Still runs on FSX Code"

The most abused general statement since MSFS's public existence...🤣

As for Asobo...well their past catalog is pretty darn obvious no?

Who would expect Asobo to be that high on the aviation subject matter expert technical level?🤣

ZK3DnU8.png

Anyone's who's experienced The Crew 1 & 2's open world streaming/zoning tech would see why Microsoft would choose Asobo's specific technical expertise for the job of creating an evolutionary living breathing flight sim WORLD.

Oh wait nvm....this is AVSIM and no one would dare ever bother to play a "kiddy video game" like the The Crew 2....such blasphemy and below standards of "study level hardcore serious" simmers.🤣

Great job Asobo I feel Microsoft made a fine choice as you all have created one amazing virtual world/global replica!

Here we thought a full world flight sim with graphical sliders on ultra fully maxxed to the right, that would actually take advantage of our hardware and run with little to no stutter and great FPS would only stay a dream.

They have made it a reality!  🍻

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 3

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

MSFS is state-of-the-art and technologically very very complex and therefore very challenging.

MSFS is made up of very many partnerships which are still growing and this adds to the challenge.

No one developer can have all the necessary skills so partners are needed and things have to be contracted out.

Asobo have essential core skills but cannot be expected to have all necessary skills.

The constant on-going work to de-bug and further develop MSFS is absolutely amazing.

It is very wrong to show disrespect to developers.

It is even more wrong to show disrespect to individual people within developer teams.

We should demonstrate respect, tolerance, patience, appreciation and encouragement.

NOW I AM GOING BACK TO ENJOY THE SIM WHILE CONTINUING TO POLITELY REPORT BUGS AND MAKE SUGGESTIONS FIR IMPROVEMENTS AND PATIENTLY WAIT FOR FIXES AND ENHANCEMENTS.

Cheers.

Edited by FrankPilot
  • Like 3