Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Do you feel that Asobo was a good choice in making MSFS 2020

17 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Me? I think Scott Gentile and his crew, over at A2A would have jumped at the chance. . . . . . . . . .

I agree would have been cool, but funding....

Big daddy Microsoft has the financial willpower.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Just now, ryanbatcund said:

Big daddy Microsoft has the financial willpower.

They put it out to the lowest bidder to maximize profits,

I will always feel Flyinside devs Tony and Dan would have done a much better VR implementation than Asobo could if hired.

The Flyinside software speaks for itself loaded with tons of Touch Controller and even Leap Motion options, meanwhile we are still stuck with a finnicky 2D mouse pointer in VR from Asobo.

Other than that I feel they have done a great job at giving us a smooth performing much more modernized hardware efficient flight sim.

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 2

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

I thought Asobo co conceived it while working on another project for Microsoft that experimented with the tech they eventually used for this?

One thing led to another and here we are. No Asobo, no MSFS at all as far as I know. 

• Like 4

I too am amazed with the overall project, and this is just year one of a ten year commitment. Also today I was thinking just how much MS is learning and creating around real-time big data management but more importantly, delivery of that big data. 

Darned impressive indeed

-B

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, superspud said:

I thought Asobo co conceived it while working on another project for Microsoft that experimented with the tech they eventually used for this?

One thing led to another and here we are. No Asobo, no MSFS at all as far as I know. 

Correct, Spud - (to my knowledge, so feel free to correct me) - that was the Bing global mapping system.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I'm curious to know what if PMDG, Aerosoft or perhaps FSLabs were hired to do the task. I wonder how MSFS would be like if that was the case. All in all, I'm extremely happy with the team at Asobo. They are truly dedicated and a group of very talented developers.

• Like 2

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

MS always wanted a mapping card and MSFS may be it.  

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

48 minutes ago, superspud said:

Exactly - MSFS evolved out of concepts Asobo and Microsoft were working on with HoloLens.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, captain420 said:

Just curious what the community thinks here regarding Asobo being the game developer chosen by MS to work on the next gen MSFS? Do you guys think that there are other developers or studios that could've done a better job?

Absolutely outstanding.

Took flight simulation from being mired in decades old platforms straight into today.

• Like 6

I feel like ASOBO wants the best sim possible. Let's be real: There exist many, many games. MSFS won awards over the others for a reason; a good dev team being a big part of that reason.

• Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

I think we’re incredibly lucky that we have Asobo developing this simulator. In the past, we were usually in the dark about progress and development. Asobo has been transparent and that’s awesome. I can’t even begin to think how good this sim will be in 2-3 years, because even now, I absolutely love it. But imagine ray-tracing, more stability, lots of more third party options. The sky is truly the limit. Pun intended 🙂

Thanks again, Asobo! I’m looking forward to what the next years bring for my, at this point, 25 year sim history. 

• Like 2

My understanding is that Asobo were chosen by MS for their prior huge geographical area experience as an ideal partner for the envisaged sim.

I read the blurb that their experience was streets ahead of other game developers in this area and certainly their real world game already released demonstrated this...  so IMHO they would have been the obvious choice for MS.

The game was released too early, but I strongly suspect that was about pressure from the parent company  and they have been playing catch up ever since.

Yes there has been missteps along the way.

To say some other developer could have done it better is a pointless exercise.

I understand the passion of this sim and the need for the  "as real as it gets" demand,  has led some to speculate what if scenarios

• Like 4