Sign in to follow this  
laurieg

MSFS folder size

I have assigned a 250Gb SSD to MSFS.  (I thought that would be enough).  I have just seen that there is another update of 85Gb approx needed to download.  When i tried i was told there was not enough space on the drive!  243Gb used.  Surely, all these updates are not all new content, just overwrites for bug fixes etc?  Does the program keep previous update downloads?  I do have an empty 1Tb M2 but will this be enough!!!!!!! 

MSFS takes ~32 GB of space on my C-drive and ~350GB on my dedicated flightsim drive.
If I left out all my third party addons MSFS would still take up >165GB on my dedicated drive.

Keep in mind that every World Update will add several GB's to the sim, unless you choose not to install these. Also, MSFS might need some additional space temporarily during the update process.

250GB is on the small side, even without addons. I expect with a 1 TB drive you should be OK for at least a few years.

• Like 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Thanks for that.  I suppose I was in denial about the size of my drive!  Now comes the bit about swapping over the drive.  I bet it isn't as straight forward as copy/paste or clone!

I have a 465 GB SSD and its got 58GB left, wondering how long that will last.   Maybe time to look at 1 TB SSD's?

Duane Buck

2 hours ago, laurieg said:

Thanks for that.  I suppose I was in denial about the size of my drive!  Now comes the bit about swapping over the drive.  I bet it isn't as straight forward as copy/paste or clone!

It could be.

If you have a dedicated drive for MSFS you can probably just copy the data to the new drive, then change the drive letter of the new drive to the one you are currently using.

• Like 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

The next update SU (18/11/21) required 33.34 GB (+ 1.12GB on the WindowsApps) and not 85GB.

Best regards, Didier "Lagaffe"

Boitier HAF 932 / ASUS Z390 STRIX-F Gaming / i9 9900K / Cruxial Ballistic 32 Go à 3200 Ghz / Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti / 34" Samsung FreeSync 21:9
SSD: Samsung 1To + 2 Cruxial 256 Go / Stockage : WD 4To et WD 2 To / Hotas Warthog and Throttle Cougar

2 hours ago, webranger said:

I have a 465 GB SSD and its got 58GB left, wondering how long that will last.   Maybe time to look at 1 TB SSD's?

Fortunately I started with a 1 TB SSD that holds my MSFS installation.  Currently 473 GB in use, but my usage on that drive includes a handful of utilities, documents, photos, and music.  Roughly 60 GB that is not MSFS related.

I store MSFS addons in a dedicated folder set that use with the Addons LInker.  Those addons account for 100 GB of the 473 GB.  90 of those 100 GB are freeware addon scenery, mostly GA airports.

At one time I was over 600 GB consumed on that drive.  I took a look at what was consuming space.  At the time I was keeping downloaded freeware .zip and .rar files for backup. Recognizing I could easily find and download them again if needed, and also recognizing many of them get updated anyway after sim updates, I deleted them, freeing up 100 GB of space.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

5 hours ago, laurieg said:

I have assigned a 250Gb SSD to MSFS.  (I thought that would be enough).

500 GB would be better... If you keep your addons in separate folders, they can be moved to other drives as required.

Bert

For what it's worth, my MSFS installation is 130GB. All up-to-date, plain vanilla, no add-ons.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Full Premium Deluxe version on Steam around 140 GB without addons.

Edited by Sagoland