Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

PMDG 737 and DX12

While I have no inside knowledge about the release date of the PMDG 737, I'm wondering whether the release was delayed until feedback could be gathered about MSFS' handling of DX12. Is it possible that the PMDG 737 might available itself of DX12 options? If this is the case, then I'm not optimistic about a 2021 release for the 737.

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

No point trying to second guess whether PMDG will deliver the 737 before the end of the year. Only they know, and the one thing about them i like, there's no hype, they make comment only when they have something important to announce.

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

Right now for people that fly the PMDG DC6, they just said today, don't use DX12 with the DC6.

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Any delays would be to wait for SDK improvements to implement or further develop core features of the aircraft I reckon. DirectX 12 isn't relevant at this stage, I don't even think there's anything at this current juncture within DirectX 12 that developers would have to 'optimize for' nor specifically code for, because Asobo has basically just done a straight implementation using none of the functions, optimizations or unique code of DirectX 12. So that's a road developers will cross when it becomes relevant, probably sometime late next year at its earliest. 

• Like 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

5 minutes ago, Sethos said:

I don't even think there's anything at this current juncture within DirectX 12 that developers would have to 'optimize for' nor specifically code for,

but, but, but the Carenados crash the sim under DX12, even if it probably is only a minor thing which they can fix easily,

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Just now, turbomax said:

but, but, but the Carenados crash the sim under DX12, even if it probably is only a minor thing which they can fix easily,

Oh for sure, might not be directly compatible, I was thinking coding for in terms of specific features they need to be aware of, as a full-fledged DirectX 12 implementation, a lot of the underlying code with definitely change. At this point, Asobo hasn't optimized anything, hasn't coded any of the systems or the engine to specifically be optimized for DirectX 12 or anything that takes advantage of it in a certain way. Just the most basic zero feature, no optimization first pass implementation you can get. So developers might do a basic compatibility pass but right now, there's not much to actually do outside of that in terms of DirectX 12. Hell, most developers probably won't even care about compatibility at this point because DirectX 12 is so pointless for the end-user outside of the novelty. 

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

24 minutes ago, David Mills said:

While I have no inside knowledge about the release date of the PMDG 737

nor do I, but they would be really giving up their biggest sale ever if they missed this 2021 christmas. I can't image how many more DC3-DC6s they could afford from such a sale, or even a 2nd-hand real B737. because who knows who else might otherwise offer a free so-so B737 on flightsim.to in the meantime? I am 100% sure there will be a PMDG 737 in my hangar this christmas! at DX12 release, they'll have their next freighter or some other paid update version. "Now fully DX12 ready". I promise -  you can quote me on this 😊

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

737 will be released when done, don’t understand the all the needless hand wringing and gossiping. Best to Enjoy MSFS in dx11 while waiting for the 737.    

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

"737 will be released when done"

I think we all know this by now. and now that we are done with the DX11 vs DX12 discussion, we need something new to speculate about, of what we have no idea either 😀

• Upvote 1

very nice.

as per this latest interview with RR, it is dragging into 2022.

start at 17:30 for probable release date.

note: the interview in total is very nice.

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

7 minutes ago, penta_a said:

as per this latest interview with RR, it is dragging into 2022.

start at 17:30 for probable release date.

note: the interview in total is very nice.

Thanks!  In that interview, Randazzo says January or even after January of 2022. 

That makes sense, based on Randazzo's last post where he refused to give an update on the release date of the 737 and whether they would still make Q4.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM