Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

"Danger area 0 to 100000 feet"?

Guest Ichinin

Hi.On a little flight to Alexandria (Egypt) as i entered from the north, i saw an area on the GPS which i checked out closer on the World/Map: it simply said:El maamurad (or something)Danger area, 0 to 100000 feetNow i got curious, what is this area?I've got some areas explained by friends (like prisons), some are zones with high mountains/hills and some are military stuff, but 0 to 100000 feet - that is alot.Do anyone know where to find what these zones are? I tried google but it just listed youth hostels and restourants in Alexandria :(Thanks in advance.

I don't know how/where to find that specific info...but I can tell you, if the Danger Area is 0 to 100,000 feet, it is probably a missile test range. Egypt does have some missiles.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I don't know if it is missiles - but in the real world a pilot had better watch out for and avoid such areas.Even in the US there is a MOA (Military Operations Area) over my hometown - so I would not fly over Dad's house without first checking with Barksdale and making sure that it is not being used that day.A C172 makes a loud irritating noise when a F-16 or B-52 runs into it.Restricted and danger areas is one thing I wish FS could deal with, but the number of different options necessary to implement that would be a massive drain on the system.So I guess we have to fall back on real world procedures, where the pilot is responsible for reviewing charts and planning his flight to avoid such areas.

Guest Ichinin

Thanks for the replies.>A C172 makes a loud irritating noise when a F-16 or B-52 runs into it.LOL, yeah, i guessed as much.I just wish that those who do planning IRL would see that its not wise to put missile test ranges and such areas directly in the path of an airport runway :oP

>Maybe it's a space vehicle launch area.In Egypt?? :)RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

After some more research, the El Maamura Danger Area is set so that aircraft inbound for Rwy 4 or Rwy 18 are clear of the area on a straight in approach to those runway.However, any aircraft approaching from the north for Rwy 4 needs to fly at least 25 nm east of the airport and make their approach and lineup to the runway from the south side of the Rwy 4 extended centerline.The danger area is near the Abu Qir Naval Base and would project out perfectly for test firing naval anti-aircraft guns and missles.Google Earth shows a fort type structure and locations which could be missle launch pads very near the base of the area.But also note - this is a "Danger Area" not a "Prohibited Area" - so most of the time it is probably safe for aircraft to overfly and use.But they would publish a NOTAM that the El Maamura Area is closed to civilian air traffic at certain times when they were firing - if that is actually the basis for the area.There are two "Prohibited Areas" within 25nm of HEAX near the HEBA Borg El Arab Egyptian Air Force Base.EDIT - I found on Google Earth what really look like surface defense naval guns in that area. There are also reported photos of SA-3 missle sites near Alexandria - supposedly no longer active.

I think Abu Qir is their main naval base on the Med.That all makes sense then.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

I just love these little research jaunts which FS sends us on occasionally. The closest I've ever been to Alexandria was Beirut in the fall of 1983.Maybe some day I'll get to see the pyramids and Egypt.Google Earth shows some pretty fancy looking hotels along the beach in that area. Maybe if I win the lottery I could afford to visit.

Anytime I start doing some scenery I always end up learning a lot about a place, which I think is neat. For instance, did you know there are several derelict Curtiss C-46 Commando's at MHTG? At least there were in the GoogleEarth pics...backed up by some airliners.net photos of one of them.In 1979, some Nicaraguan refugees took a Nica C-46 over to Honduras to escape the revolution. Apparently the plane has never left MHTG since.I have not messed with trying to put a rusty, static C-46 there. I used to use Trevor de Stigher's MDL2BGL program to do that but I'm sure there is a more modern method now.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

"Restricted and danger areas is one thing I wish FS could deal with, but the number of different options necessary to implement that would be a massive drain on the system."Am I missing something here? FS9 map view of the UK shows practically all Prohibited, Danger and Restricted Areas, even down to the small areas around prisons where the restrictions apply only to helicopters. The upper limits seem generally correct. (The comparison is with my CAA charts dated 15 April 2004.) The areas are correctly identified by type. Admittedly, it doesn't show High Intensity Radio Transmission Areas (HIRTAs).The only thing missing is the code used to identify them. For example FS9 correctly identifies Hythe Ranges but doesn't give its identification of D141. However, the code can be found on the charts and its practical use would to look up the appropriate ENR document. This gives more information about the activity, it hours, and sources of information about activity for both pre-flight and en-route planning - the sources are also shown on the appropriate charts. I don't think FS could do much more than it does now. There's a note on the charts say "Pilots are advised to assume that a Danger Area is active if no reply is received from the approriate NATSU"

I think he is probably refering to atc on ifr flight plans interacting with them.When you fly ifr in the real system-atc will take you directly thru many restricted, moa's etc. by coordinating with them-they also may vector you completely around them when hot. As far as I know no atc including add on's does this...yet.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg