Sign in to follow this  
rmeier

Leisure International Airways

This is another interesting livery: So why paint this one for the CS B767-II?

1) This repaint was actually requested over on the CS forum

2) I was looking for an interesting, European repaint to cover

3) Nostalgia: 

Back in the early/mid 2000's, I was living/working in the UK. At the time (FS2004 I recall), the Level-D B767 (and previous version - PIC767) were THE "study level" sim to have. I still remember walking into a computer store in Aberdeen City Center (yeah, remember brick and mortar computer stores???) to pick up my boxed copy of the LDS 767.

I don't know how many hours I spent at the screen flying that sim...all very enjoyable hours! LDS continued to support FSX and 32 bit versions of P3D for many years to follow.

In my LDS boxed set was a complimentary (PAL version) copy of an 83 minute ITVV DVD showcasing the pre-flight prep, departure, flight, aircraft systems review, visual approach and flight summary of Leisure Flight 705 from London Gatwick to Orlando, hosted by Capt Dave Henry and F/O Norman Port. It was my very first, full length "aviation geek" video!

That DVD also covered my first exposure to Trans-Atlantic NATS routes and ETOPS planning (although topics covered much better in the Just Planes Air Canada A319 ETOPS video I purchased many years later...but I digress...).

Of note, during the video, Capt Henry discusses the evolution of ETOPS-60, ETOPS-120 and ETOPS-180 for the B767 aircraft. At the time of filming of the video (early 1994), Leisure was operating under a modified ETOPS-138 rule to cover Atlantic crossings on all available NATS tracks.

For a little more history, the video also covered the newly introduced and mandatory TCAS equipment and system just introduced for US flight operations.

On another, but, related side note, back in the late 90's/early 2000's I was on a Business Trip in Myrtle Beach, SC. I went to a local Books-a-Million and purchased a copy of a book (Airliner Color History Boeing 767 by Philip Birtles) which has about 8 pages dedicated to photos of Leisure International Airways. Yeah...I really, really like the B767! I know, get help, right?!?!?!

Leisure International Airways operated Holidaymaker Charter flights from the UK to US/Caribbean destinations between 1993 thru 1998 starting with two leased B767-200's. On April 1, 1993, they took delivery of their first, new, B767-300ER (G-UKLH - The Caribbean Star) showcased in the above mentioned video and took delivery of their second aircraft two weeks later (G-UKLI - The Atlantic Star, represented in this CS B767-II repaint).

I obviously never flew this airline, but, this particular livery has stuck with me all these years. Oh...and I'm not lost on the irony of using the CS B767-II to talk about the LDS 767 software that came 15-20 years earlier!

After the demise of Air UK (the parent company), both airframes remained as a pair through various charters ops and since 2015 still remain paired, both flying for CargoJet as ERBDSF conversions, as C-FGSJ and C-FDIJ respectively.

This was an interesting repaint with custom made artwork for the Leisure name banner, the Tail flag as well as the forward port side logo (aircraft name).

Hope you enjoy the photos!

Departure from Gatwick:

tZjzwjW.jpg

Departure

2E4u87F.jpg

On to warmer climates...

CMaaUq2.jpg

• Like 5

Great paint and pics!  Glad you took her on!

Here is my history on this Airline/airframe.

I too got heavily into the 767...i.e. fell in love, back in the 767 PIC days and eventually the LDS 767, and had the VHS tape of the Leisure flight from Gatwick to Orlando and watched it until the tape started wearing out, LOL.  I subsequently painted Leisure on the LDS 767...and in fact Gary King asked if he could use my textures back in 2010 to add the new winglets to the LDS model featuring them.  Still available here: https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004acrp&DLID=155101

I've flown the 767 PIC/ LDS 767 more hours than I can remember, painted a bunch of them over the years...and created a lot of great friendships flying them way back when I was active on VATSIM and met fellow simming nuts. 🙂  One such long friendship started on a flight to LaPaz, where he actually grew up at, and he asked if I could paint a LAB 767 on the LDS for him.  It may have been my 1st paint for it as it was brand new back in the day.   Anyway...we now have a long tradition from way back then, of me painting LAB for him on various airframes as they've released over the years...

Some fictional:

1evnJk.jpg

rpbsRB.jpg

Some not....

V4d7rM.jpg

Anyway, thanks again for painting Leisure. I may re-live that old VHS flight with her. (If I ever get a break from painting, LOL) 😉 

• Like 5

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Thanks for the comments Steve!

I love those repaints...retro's are my favorite! I'm assuming that last one is MSFS given the crispness of the scenery (and the obvious PBR)...great repaint! (I still haven't ventured into MSFS.)

Too funny about the VHS tape...I converted my PAL format DVD to NTSC...Leisure Flight 705 lives on...

• Like 1

Nice tidbits from the throwback days of sim-aviation.... both, above, are interesting liveries...!!

• Like 1