Sign in to follow this  
Luis Hernandez

How to cat-proof my rig (and my apartment)?

1 hour ago, kfd said:

Fr Bill,
I saw this picture in a newspaper last week - apparently Starlink dishes have to look upwards so they have a heating element in them to warm up and melt any snow or ice in the dish - the satellites watch the weather and turn on the heating as necessary - apparently!  I know you can’t trust the press - but it seems a genuine story!

Kev

It is genuine. 

4 hours ago, martin-w said:

The owners spend the next half an hour on their dog walks swinging a bag full of poo around.

On the bike path in the park across the street from my house many people walk their dogs.  The city has plastic bag dispensers every mile or so and a bin where you can drop the bag when it's full.  City park employees pick up the filled bags and replenish the plastic bag dispenser.  There is a hefty fine for people allowing their dogs to poop on the grass or path and not picking it up.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

6 minutes ago, birdguy said:

On the bike path in the park across the street from my house many people walk their dogs.  The city has plastic bag dispensers every mile or so and a bin where you can drop the bag when it's full.  City park employees pick up the filled bags and replenish the plastic bag dispenser.  There is a hefty fine for people allowing their dogs to poop on the grass or path and not picking it up.

Noel

Its not too bad in the UK these days, like your location, there are dog bins and fines for those that don't pick it up, although you do come across the consequences occasionally of those who transgress.

Here in Guernsey, quite a few dogs and no issues relay with smelly stuff. 

Having had cats since I was 14, ( will be 71 in April ) I had an emergency last year when my last cat passed away. I called a friend asking for spare cats. With no cat in the house, I didn't know what to do...   Fortunately, she knew of 2 cats in need of a good home. I was soon back to normal, with proper feline supervision.

Cat proofing in impossible BTW. I wake up in the middle of the night and grab the fly swatter, yelling get off there !  Cat on computer top, again...

Sue

Edited by Penzoil3
  • Like 5

It's impossible not to be surprised by them, I'd say just go with it.  I have a 14 year old cat who is basically my sidekick and co-pilot...the time spent cleaning cat hair off my desk and out of just about everywhere around my computer is well worth it for the amount of time he spends soundly sleeping beside me while I fly.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

4 hours ago, Penzoil3 said:

I had an emergency last year when my last cat passed away. I called a friend asking for spare cats. With no cat in the house, I didn't know what to do...

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/mark-twain-liked-cats-better-people-180965265/

Throughout his life, when Twain travelled he would rent cats to take the place of his left-behind companions.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Wow, lots of replies there. Thank you all for your replies! 😁 I need some time to absorb them all.

The only thing I'm sure is that my apartment (guitar, TV and computer wiring and decorative stuff) will need some serious work before getting a kitten. All other things, I've dealt with a dog before (and as I said in my OP, with a cat too), I'm sure I can do it. Don´t award me any cat points until I decide finally to adopt one.

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

21 hours ago, Penzoil3 said:

Having had cats since I was 14, ( will be 71 in April ) I had an emergency last year when my last cat passed away. I called a friend asking for spare cats. With no cat in the house, I didn't know what to do...   Fortunately, she knew of 2 cats in need of a good home. I was soon back to normal, with proper feline supervision.

Cat proofing in impossible BTW. I wake up in the middle of the night and grab the fly swatter, yelling get off there !  Cat on computer top, again...

Sue

20 cat points for providing a home for two cats. That's ten each.

X20 😺

40 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

I've dealt with a dog before

Trust me, cats are way, way, way less trouble than a dog. They pretty much look after themselves. If inside there's the litter tray of course and you have to feed them but that's pretty much it. 

Looked after a friends dog a few months ago. My god, he was bonkers. Kept stealing my daughters shoes and running up the garden with them, wouldn't give them back. Then it was randomly without warming jumping up us. Oh yes, and when he first meets my daughter he likes to urinate up her. 😧

I like all animals, but yes, cats are way easier.