Sign in to follow this  
Matchstick

Aerosoft Twin Otter control mapping are a bit of a mess

Now I've picked up the Twotter and given it a bit of a try out I'm trying to set up my controllers (HC Alpha and Bravo) to work with it as well as possible and it appears that despite being an experienced developer Aerosoft has made a UTTER mess of the controller mappings.

The most obvious example is for Prop Feathering - you can see here under section 4 that they have set a single in-game command - TOGGLE PROPELLER REVERSE THRUST- to turn on feathering for BOTH props at the same time with no mechanism to allow you to turn it on for a single prop.
MSFS has TOGGLE FEATHER SWITCH 1 & 2 commands which would appear to be perfect for this but Aerosoft have chosen not to use them.

And beyond this you appear not to be able to control basic functions like enabling and disabling the Main Battery with either keyboard or mapped controls.

You can try modifying the LVARs directy using something like Spad.next but while that changes the settings it's doesn't move the switch to match so you end up with a mismatch in the VC - it's better than nothing I suppose but still a pain in the neck.

All in all while the plane seems to fly Ok the first look at the systems behind the visuals is deeply underwhelming.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I think I'll wait for the first update / fix for these issues before I buy it.

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

11 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

The most obvious example is for Prop Feathering - you can see here under section 4 that they have set a single in-game command - TOGGLE PROPELLER REVERSE THRUST- to turn on feathering for BOTH props at the same time with no mechanism to allow you to turn it on for a single prop.
MSFS has TOGGLE FEATHER SWITCH 1 & 2 commands which would appear to be perfect for this but Aerosoft have chosen not to use them.

Reply on Aerosoft forums - this is how it's meant to work due to MSFS limitation - let just say my preferred reply to this would likely fall foul of the profanity filter here.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up.

I'll keep flying the Kodiak for a little while then....

• Like 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40NG+tdi / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Positive news on Feathering - they now understand why you might want to feather one prop and not the other and are looking into how they can allow this.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

Positive news on Feathering - they now understand why you might want to feather one prop and not the other and are looking into how they can allow this.

Even Carenado figured out how to do that with the Seminole and Seneca. 

• Like 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I can manually feather each prop using my mouse. Don't see what is a big deal

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

3 hours ago, Republic3D said:

I think I'll wait for the first update / fix for these issues before I buy it.

It'll be like other releases from AS. Better to wait a little before jumping on it.

Edited by edpatino
  • Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

1 hour ago, sd_flyer said:

I can manually feather each prop using my mouse. Don't see what is a big deal

Because when an engine goes I don't really want to have to mess around looking around the cockpit and then dragging a control with my mouse when I should just be able to move a lever without taking my eyes off the instruments ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Even Carenado figured out how to do that with the Seminole and Seneca. 

The also worked out how to get the AP to maintain ATT hold below about 110kts and to follow a glideslope in APP mode.

Not so much with the Twotter (I seriously struggle to understand how nobody would have spotted the AP can't track an ILS GS during testing)

3 minutes ago, Flying-Hare said:

I finally lost the desire to buy this plane.😕

It'll probably be fine once (if ?) Aerosoft bother putting the effort into making it work properly but for now it feels like a nice visual model with a decent flight model but with sounds that aren't properly integrated together and default systems that don't work.

Considering how long they've been talking this release up it's disappointing to say the least.

Edited by Matchstick
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

Because when an engine goes I don't really want to have to mess around looking around the cockpit and then dragging a control with my mouse when I should just be able to move a lever without taking my eyes off the instruments ?

That what we actually do IRL look very carefully at which knob we touch . Identify - dead foot dead engine, Verify-slowly drag inop throttle to idle. Then decide fix or feather!

And this what happened when pilot accident pull remaining working engine to idle by mistake.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

24 minutes ago, HaraldNowak said:

But when you look at the various "reviews" coming out: Oh, look, even the armrest can move! What a gorgeous plane! *sigh*

Me thinks there were some reviewers who were "paid" by AS or at least given free products. The sounds are a HUGE part of the experience and really give life and a certain "feel" to the aircraft. AS talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. 

• Like 1

Former Child, Current Adult