Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Using MB Graphics Display For 2nd Monitor

I purchased the RealSimGear GND530 some time ago, and have been very happy with it. However, I had no idea that MSFS seems to suffer with the same FPS issue regarding pop out panels as P3D and FSX(?) ie. heavy drop in framerates when moving a panel to a second monitor, in this case, dragging the GPS panel out of the main monitor onto the screen of the secondary monitor of the GNS530. The hit is significant. eg, 45fps down to 33fps! About 25-30% IMO this is unacceptable. In researching the issue I came across a fella on YouTube, and this may be a well know option, but for me it was new, who cured the problem by turning back on the motherboard intigrated graphics in the BIOS. This is automatically turned off by default once the BIOS recognises the presence of a third party GPU, in my case it's the RTX3090. He was showing a perfectly successful outcome to this process and indeed there were no FPS drop when dragging the panels to a separate monitor. I decided to follow his suggestion, but after having implemented the process and connected the GNS 530 cable to the MB, I had a surprise in hand as I watched a stuttering mess and FPS between 8-12 once I had dragged across the panel. Extremely disappointed I returned the cable to it's place on the 3090. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried this and had a successful outcome? I'd like to persue this option if I can and get it to work. It may be that I missed something along the way. Interested in hearing thoughts guys. :wink:

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I had this issue, too, and could solve it by connecting a 2nd (touch-screen) monitor to the internal graphics adapter after activating it in the BIOS. This was time ago, I think with the TDS GTNXi. I didn't use the configuration for quite some time but I recall it worked once.

There is a long thread on this fps/2 issue and it's solution by connecting to the internal adapter on the official forum in the Home Cockpit builders category.

Kind regards, Michael 

• Like 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

if you have it enabled, disable VSync in MSFS and Nvidia Control Panel. Somehow the Vsync in the Game is complete broken when using popout Windows.

Here is one of the threads on the official forum

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/second-monitor-fps-drops-down/346101/4

There are actually several ones.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Check out this video from Les O'Reilly:

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant

25 minutes ago, Bam2000 said:

if you have it enabled, disable VSync in MSFS and Nvidia Control Panel. Somehow the Vsync in the Game is complete broken when using popout Windows.

Ah, this may have been the problem I was having. I will try again, thanks.

19 minutes ago, pmb said:

Here is one of the threads on the official forum

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/second-monitor-fps-drops-down/346101/4

There are actually several ones.

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks for the link Michael, I'll check it out. One way or the other I'm determined to get this sorted :wink:

17 minutes ago, cshark172 said:

Check out this video from Les O'Reilly:

Thanks Kyle, I think  this waas the original source of my research. Cheers.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Simply dragging the pop out to another screen (connected to a different gfx card) won’t fix it. You also need to make sure you maximise the pop out window on the new screen as well. 

I set this up a couple of days ago and it worked well (I also left VSYNC switched on in the sim). 

4 hours ago, pmb said:

I had this issue, too, and could solve it by connecting a 2nd (touch-screen) monitor to the internal graphics adapter after activating it in the BIOS. This was time ago, I think with the TDS GTNXi. I didn't use the configuration for quite some time but I recall it worked once.

There is a long thread on this fps/2 issue and it's solution by connecting to the internal adapter on the official forum in the Home Cockpit builders category.

Kind regards, Michael 

Hi Michael, did you find it necessary to reinstall/install the manufacturer's default graphics driver?

Howard

I noticed a fps drop as well while using space desk when I pop out gauges. I will be following this thread as was about to purchase a gps unit, albeit the flightsimbuilder one. 

If I’m not mistaken, I think this was brought up in the developer Q&A yesterday, but can’t remember what was said about it! 

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

10 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Hi Michael, did you find it necessary to reinstall/install the manufacturer's default graphics driver?

It's long ago, but I don't think so. My Addon card is Nvidia which had the driver installed. And I think the Intel driver for the internal chip was already installed with the machine (which initially had the internal Intel driver active, I deactivated it later at a point in the BIOS.)

Kind regards, Michael

Would be awesome if Asobo fixed it. I have ultrawide monitor, but with 1660 Ti I have mediocre performance. With taking part of that screen by G1000 and making main screen smaller it would work way better, but I loose 1/3 of FPS as soon as I popup any screen.

27 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

I noticed a fps drop as well while using space desk when I pop out gauges. I will be following this thread as was about to purchase a gps unit, albeit the flightsimbuilder one. 

If I’m not mistaken, I think this was brought up in the developer Q&A yesterday, but can’t remember what was said about it! 

21 minutes ago, pmb said:

It's long ago, but I don't think so. My Addon card is Nvidia which had the driver installed. And I think the Intel driver for the internal chip was already installed with the machine (which initially had the internal Intel driver active, I deactivated it later at a point in the BIOS.)

Kind regards, Michael

16 minutes ago, PuffinFlight said:

Would be awesome if Asobo fixed it. I have ultrawide monitor, but with 1660 Ti I have mediocre performance. With taking part of that screen by G1000 and making main screen smaller it would work way better, but I loose 1/3 of FPS as soon as I popup any screen.

HEEEEEEY!! Sorted!! :biggrin: I tried again and it now works perfectly. Basically, as discussed, I activated the MB onboard graphics in BIOS and ran the GNS530 directly. Unsure why it didn't work before, the only thing I can think of that I did different, is I didn't mess about installing any MB drivers of any description. Last time I think that's where I went wrong. It works. This is great news! Thanks for all the replies guys, appreciated.

• Like 2

Howard

47 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

HEEEEEEY!! Sorted!! :biggrin: I tried again and it now works perfectly. Basically, as discussed, I activated the MB onboard graphics in BIOS and ran the GNS530 directly. Unsure why it didn't work before, the only thing I can think of that I did different, is I didn't mess about installing any MB drivers of any description. Last time I think that's where I went wrong. It works. This is great news! Thanks for all the replies guys, appreciated.

My Mobo has an integrated video but the manual specifically says it won’t be available if I have a card plugged in, I tried turning it on but I get no output from the onboard video, I’ll have to find another solution but thanks for reporting your fix! 

Edited by flyinpilot212121

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

39 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

My Mobo has an integrated video but the manual specifically says it won’t be available if I have a card plugged in, I tried turning it on but I get no output from the onboard video, I’ll have to find another solution but thanks for reporting your fix! 

Have you been into BIOS and switched it on? because it is turned off by default if it recognises a GPU unit.

Howard

I'm not a hardware expert, but I think all more recent Intel CPUs have a video adapter integrated (which doesn't automatically mean you can use them in parallel, of course).

I have two machines, a desktop and a laptop, and both have a Nvidia GPU and the integrated Intel adapter (plus, corresponding driver settings applets). On the laptop you have to explicitly choose the programs you want to be handled by the Nvidia adapter, otherwise it's the integrated Intel (because of power saving).

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1