Sign in to follow this  

Greetings. 

Today I have tried DDU software for the first time and I have a feeling I have missed something during graphic update. I have watched several tutorials how to use DDU software and the steps were pretty much the same.

I booted PC in safe mode and started DDU. I made selection in DDU GUI (GPU, NVIDIA and 'Clean and restart' option). The old driver was uninstalled with no problem. However when my PC was restarted it was still in safe mode. Based on Microsoft when the system is rebooted it should exit safe mode. Not in my case. So being still in safe mode I install the new driver but during the installation the PC did not restart as it usually does during graphic installation. When the installation was complete, screen resolution was messed up. I had to manually exit safe mode and after that screen resolution reverted back to normal.    

So now I am wondering if there is a difference between installing (not uninstalling using DDU) new deriver in safe mode and in normal mode. Did I have to exit safe mode before installing new driver or it does not matter?

Thanks for looking. 

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

3 hours ago, skysurfer said:

Today I have tried DDU software

Never in my entire life, at 64, have I ever used it. I remain unconvinced of the need to use it or any other software like it... unless a definite issue re driver installation is being experienced. 

If you hadn't used it... you would not have the issues you now experience. I say install drivers in the normal way, unless you have a specific issue you are dealing with.

Apologies for not having any solution to your problem, 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 2

I had the same feelings to be honest. I read that if i just uninstall the old driver some traces of all driver will still remain and installing new driver may cause some issues. Not sure if this is the true statement though.  

I am just looking for a good reliable way to update graphic driver. 

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

I've always used DDU when I update the nVidia drivers. I run DDU in Safe Mode exactly as you describe and then let the computer reboot into normal mode and the install the new driver. One thing I've been doing lately is unplugging from the internet or disabling the Network Connection while I do the uninstall and install of the new driver. That prevents Windows 10 from downloading and installing its own nVidia driver while you are working to install the new one. I've had that happen to me a few times and I had to do the process all over again.

When you reboot after the uninstall in Safe Mode, Windows 10 should start in normal mode for sure. If it doesn't, something is not set correctly.

I've only seen a need to use DDU for the 2 times I went to the other side and bought a an ATI card from Nvidia just to clean out the leftovers from one to the other. For Nvidia driver updates, I just let the Nvidia installer do it's thing and its never been an issue.

Even today for example, I swapped out my 3080ti to install my old 1080ti to show someone that it worked before selling it to him and all I did was swap cards. No need to even swap drivers as there's nothing to change.

Edited by Dave_YVR

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

1 hour ago, greggd said:

try entering msconfig, then uncheck safe boot from boot tab, then restart your computer

This is how I booted into safe mode: Windows logo key + R (msconfig) before running DDU. Per Microsoft this is how you enter into safe mode from a black or blank screen (I did not know that till after the fact). The "normal way" is via "System-recover-Advanced Startup" . I wonder if that was why my PC did not boot into normal mode after restart because I use 'msconfig' option. Not sure if this is rally matter. 

Appreciate all replies. 

I don't use DDU every time.  But it has corrected various problems for me atleast 2 or 3 times.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

19 hours ago, skysurfer said:

I had the same feelings to be honest. I read that if i just uninstall the old driver some traces of all driver will still remain and installing new driver may cause some issues. Not sure if this is the true statement though.  

It can happen but its rare. Nvidia go to a lot of trouble to design their installers so you don't have issues and almost all of the time that is the case. Never, not once, have I ever had issues with Nvidia's installers. 

My philosophy is to install  graphics cards drivers with the Nvidia's installer the way the manufacturer of your card advice. The Nvidia installers work, simple as that. If on the very rare occasion you have issues, then utilise whatever software is necessary to remove anything that's causing problems. But using software like DDU on a regular basis, every time you install your drivers is unnecessary and as you have found out, brings with it, its own risks. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, martin-w said:

It can happen but its rare. Nvidia go to a lot of trouble to design their installers so you don't have issues and almost all of the time that is the case. Never, not once, have I ever had issues with Nvidia's installers. 

My philosophy is to install  graphics cards drivers with the Nvidia's installer the way the manufacturer of your card advice. The Nvidia installers work, simple as that. If on the very rare occasion you have issues, then utilise whatever software is necessary to remove anything that's causing problems. But using software like DDU on a regular basis, every time you install your drivers is unnecessary and as you have found out, brings with it, its own risks. 

Ok, great. So what is the correct way of updating the driver then (I do not use Nvidia experience)? Just install the new one on top of the old one? 

9 minutes ago, skysurfer said:

Ok, great. So what is the correct way of updating the driver then (I do not use Nvidia experience)? Just install the new one on top of the old one? 

Visit Nvidia website. Search for the latest driver. Save the driver on your system. Run the installer. The installer will do everything for you, delete what needs to be deleted and install the new driver. That's what the installer is designed to do. Nvidia make it easy for you.

Long gone are the days when it was necessary to uninstall your old drive yourself, first. In fact you don't even have to reboot these days. As I mentioned, NVidia have gone to a lot of trouble to design their installers.

Can issues occur? like any software yes. In this case rarely. For me... never.

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Visit Nvidia website. Search for the latest driver. Save the driver on your system. Run the installer. The installer will do everything for you, delete what needs to be deleted and install the new driver. That's what the installer is designed to do. Nvidia make it easy for you.

Long gone are the days when it was necessary to uninstall your old drive yourself, first. In fact you don't even have to reboot these days. As I mentioned, NVidia have gone to a lot of trouble to design their installers.

Can issues occur? like any software yes. In this case rarely. For me... never.

Good enough. Thanks a lot everyone. 

I'm done with DDU.  It makes no significant difference when updating a driver.  NVidia does a great job and is SO MUCH EASIER  to use it.  I see absolutely no difference in the final product.

Stan

The DDU web page itself recommends using DDU only as a last resort.  The DDU web page and Nvidia, as well as other techs who should know, instead recommend using Windows own "uninstall a program" app to uninstall Nvidia drivers if required.

As I recall, a Safe mode reboot was recommended after using DDU to disconnect from the internet, and so prevent Windows from trying to automatically install a new video driver of its own choice (something it didn't always get right).

Just a side note from recent personal experience about why you might occasionally need to uninstall a Nvidia  driver. I hadn't updated my Nvidia driver for some time, and was still using the 471.41 driver from last summer. I decided it was time to upgrade to the newest 511.79 driver, so I used Nvidia's recommended express install. That didn't work out well. All of a sudden, every time I tried slewing around in external view, and sometimes in internal view, I would get a CTD. I couldn't figure out why. Eventually the light dawned and I used the Windows 10 uninstall a program app to uninstall the new driver, and then reinstalled it. That solved the problem.

Just fyi. Of course, everyone has different configurations, and mileage may vary. But if you upgrade your Nvidia driver using the recommended express install, and things start going buggy, try uninstalling the driver using Windows uninstall a program app, and then reinstall, and see if that fixes the problem.

-Bob 

Edited by BBCM
  • Like 1