Sign in to follow this  
Bob Scott

Guess I am lost for the flightsim community

Guest gasebah

Hi guys,after years of simming, building up the sim with myriads of add-ons, building a home cockpit with extensive hardware I finally got a little bored with it to a certain extent. Instead I bought a decent electric rc-helicopter and wow. Although this is a really complicated and difficult hobby to master I am completely hooked and did not touch the sim for 4 weeks now. Instead I bought an rc-sim for learning the more tricky stuff in helicopter fyling. Any of you guys are also rc-helicopter flyers?Alex

too many rules and restrictions on them here to make it worthwhile.Basically you need what almost amounts to a PPL (including the medical) to fly RC air vehicles, and you're only to fly them from registered RC airfields (the nearest one of which is about 15km from here, so that's not really a problem, but it's a severe limitation).

Guest B1900 Mech

Hi Alex, When I was building houses, I had the cash flow to keep a Raptor 50 in the air.Since I have been back in the airline maintenance job, the thing has been in a box in a bunch of peices since the last crash. A typical simple rollover accident can cost around 100 dollars US,(main blades,mainshaft,flybar,pitch control link's etc). Not to mention the manhour's to balance and dial the thing back in,so it's not shaking like a dog passing razorblades.I canot tell you how many times I have seen RC heli's for sale by new flyer's that have crashed and rebuilt,without taking the time to dial in and balance rotating component's,That the thing is 100 times harder to fly,and they give up. I guess to me,a hobby should be fun and relaxing. When you are flying,It is like basiclly holding about 11 or 12 one hundred dollar bills over a blowtorch waiting for the enevitable carnage.Take in mind,that I was able to perform nose in maneuvers and basic aerobatics,and this did nothing for my peace of mind or confidence:-hmmm I guess if you have plenty of money,knock youself out and have fun:-)

I hear that Jim.I too almost got into rc helis. Just the radio alone can cost well over a grand.It was much cheaper to fly real world fix wing...lol

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Guest B1900 Mech

Yes Jeff, I just sold that box of parts to my maintenance base manager,But could not bring myself to part with all my RC heli tools and radio. I guess I still hope to win the lottery:-lol

I would still like to take it up someday if I can afford it and someone built me one of those nice Bell 222's with lights and retracts...lol.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Jeff & JimMaybe you guys haven't looked in awhile but the price of all RC's (both fixed wing & helo) have come way down. And if I read Alex's post right, he bought an electric Helo & not a glow like Jim's Raptor. An ARF electric Indoor/Outdoor Aerobatic Heli goes for about $400 these days with radio included. Just check out www.towerhobbies.com and look up something like the Night Ranger 3D RTFAlex, I don't fly Heli's but I do fly fixed wing RC's and have a ball doing so. My latest is a Super Decathlon with an 89" wing span with a large gas motor up front. There are some pics of it here in the RC web sub forum on AVSIM. I hope you get a lot of pleasure out of flying that heli! Keep us posted on your progress.Jim

rgr that Jim,I think Jim and I were talking about things like 8 channel radios, big engines, all the lighting, retracts, all that stuff that adds up.I think just bodies can cost 500.00 for those types of setups.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

No doubt they can, Jeff. I've seen many of those expensive bodies in the trash can at the field where our club flies! LOL. Seems indoor electric flying is all the rage these days though so I though I'd point it out in case you guys hadn't looked at the RC Hobby lately.Safe Flying!Jim

That may not be a bad idea either, especially since I for one haven't flown an RC heli before. I'd sure hate to loose 2-3 grand in one crash...lol.:-)

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

Guest B1900 Mech

My Maintenance Manager just sold A 50 size electric heli, I was astounded at the high price of the new generation motors and batterys, $230.00 for a battery!,And the flight time was very short(7-10 Min). I forgot to say that I kept my Real Flight G2 Simulator,that saved my behind a few times! I actually sucessfuly performed a nose in autorotation in front of a bunch of old cranky retired guys at the field! They were very afraid of the machine,and we heli flyers were not made to feel very welcome,inspite of all of us having a valid AMA licence and paid the 100 a year fee for the RC club field. I guess they didn't like all the noise and those big composite blades hacking at the air!

Guest gasebah

Guys,it is really not that bad. Also it is true that you need about 1000US$ to get the hobby started with decent hardware. But if you know my homecockpit it is obvious that a lot more money went into that. The most important thing is that you have somebody to help you get started otherwise it is almost impossible to master it. I am lucky as the guy who is the manufacturer of the helo I fly lives only about 10 miles from my home. Therefore the replacement parts a ok. I had one crash so far and it cost me around 40 bucks. The price of a FS addon which I bought myriads of. A good way to get started with the more challenging stuff like nose-in hover is a good instructor and a buddy setup (the instructor can take over the helo if things get out of hand).In Germany there are no restrictions for electric helos. I can jump over my garden fence and practice on my neighbour's field. He is a farmer and even mowed a landing spot in the meadow for me :-). RC-fields are only required for the nitro helos.But....yes you are right it is not easy to master. Sometimes it feels like taking your 2000 US$ plasma TV off the wall, and balance it through your living room on your wr

I too used to be into rc flying, it was a very fun hobby BUT, I disliked the feeling of holding hundreds of dollars over a fire so now the aircraft hangs in my room for "display". Perhaps someday it will actually fly again. When I can afford to fix it if I happen to crash it. lol Andrew

I have a nice tricked-out Concept 30 SR-X R/C heli sitting in storage back in the USA...hasn't flown in 5 years, and I suspect I'll never fly it again. While I was into it, R/C heli flying was both instructive and addictive...the focus of a good year's worth of hobby obsession for me, but it was costing me upwards of $100 every time I took it out to fly in parts, fuel etc., and hundreds of hours building, balancing, and otherwise tweaking the beast. And I nearly lost my thumb due to about a half a second of inattention on the test stand.In retrospect, I have to say the things are somewhat dangerous...when I went to the local field, I'd always carry an aluminum baseball bat just in case somebody lost control of one. When one of those things gets away from you, it's like a flying chainsaw with a mind of its own.Flight simming fills the bill without a need for bank loans or transfusions... ;-)CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case