Sign in to follow this  
AOB

It don't get no better than this

All is well with the world. My cat is asleep on our bed and in another 19 hours his beauty sleep should be complete and my dog is out the back. I have taken him for his walk before it gets too hot and I always walk towards the city from my house in Parafield Gardens (next to Parafield Airport). If you were to take off from one of the East/West runways towards the West you would see a Soccer/Cricket ground in front of you. It is ringed with trees and the Club House is on the Western or far side of the ground. I do a circuit of this before heading for home. 

This morning as they often do the trainee pilots were practising their touch and go circuits using these runways and they were coming in from the West to do so. It is glorious to see and hear them passing so low overhead and this morning as an added treat one of the planes in the circuit  was one of those Air Tractor things. They sound totally different than the usual Katana/TB/Cessna trainers and it was a real delight to hear.

Is there any plane in MSFS that sounds like them? 

• Like 4

Sorry, don’t know the answer to your last question, but you have reminded me of my visits to Moorabbin airport which is Melbourne’s equivalent to your Parafield. I used to visit by myself as a young kid to watch the aircraft. Then I used to take my much younger brother - he soon got bored. Years later I used to take my 2 boys - they soon got bored. I took my wife once - that was enough for her.  Then it was just me and the dog - he loved it!!! Then the dog died, so it was back to just me. My excuse now is that I have to visit the pilot shop for my RL recreational flying needs, but I hardly ever buy anything. There must be something wrong with me!  Cheers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AOB said:

They sound totally different than the usual Katana/TB/Cessna trainers and it was a real delight to hear.

Is there any plane in MSFS that sounds like them? 

Air tractors are turboprops; that is, a small turbine (jet) engine is being used to turn a propeller.  They sound different because you're hearing the hum of the prop mixed with the hiss/whoosh of the turbine engine. 

I know there's a default TBM or PC-12 in MSFS... and a Cessna 208 Caravan, and a King Air I think? Those are all turboprops.

Two excellent addon turboprop aircraft are the Milviz PC-6 Porter and SWS Kodiak, too.

• Like 2

Andrew Crowley

FrankPilot there is absolutely nothing wrong with you. 🙂

The roar of planes flying low overhead is a real rush. I remember seeing a movie a few years back where a little boy is running along and a Japanese fighter flies low over his head. The sound almost rocked the cinema seats! I cannot recall the name of the movie it might have been the last Emperor. 

• Like 1

I live pretty close to Gateway Airport (KIWA), it was an USAF training base before it was converted to civilian use. I always enjoyed watching the T-37 and T-38 coming over the house. 

Anyways, a while back I was out in the backyard and here come 4 F-18s in formation with burners.

They are at about 3000 Ft, starting a right climbing turn, and hauling word not allowed.

Ok that's pretty cool.

About a minute later here comes another set of 4, same thing

Ok that's really cool.

Another minute, another set of 4, yep same thing,

Ok now this is totally awesome .

I waited for more, but that was it for the day.

Yeah, a good day in the ol' backyard. 😀

Edited by tommyh454

On 2/25/2022 at 6:37 AM, AOB said:

FrankPilot there is absolutely nothing wrong with you. 🙂

The roar of planes flying low overhead is a real rush. I remember seeing a movie a few years back where a little boy is running along and a Japanese fighter flies low over his head. The sound almost rocked the cinema seats! I cannot recall the name of the movie it might have been the last Emperor. 

The young boy is Christian Bale. Anyone obsessed with aircraft can understand this boy! 

Pilot is Ray Hanna. RIP

Absolutely incredible movie from Steven Spielberg. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x,  RTX4090, Varjo Aero, 32GB 3600MHz RAM , Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe4.0,  980 1TB PCIe3.0, TUF B550M-PLUS (WIFI), Warthog HOTAS, Saitek PRO rudder pedals,  1440p Ultrawide, Track IR, TM Boeing yoke. 

On 2/26/2022 at 7:47 AM, Winkle Brown said:

The young boy is Christian Bale. Anyone obsessed with aircraft can understand this boy! 

I was 12 when my grandfather took me to a movie theater to watch "The Great Waldo Pepper".  

It was glorious on a big screen,  it blew me away.  The old man was a former pilot himself and that was his way of gauging my interest.  A week or two later he woke me up before everyone in the house.  I had no clue where we were going. We quietly slipped out and ate breakfast at his favorite diner.  An hour later I was being towed aloft with an instructor named Reynolds Jones in his SGS 2-33 training glider.   That flight was the first entry in my logbook.  It's still my favorite movie.     

Pepper's Standard J-1 is currently owned by Kermit Weeks,

Edited by Waldo Pepper
  • Like 1

But don't say bad words... (YT won't allow embedding the uncensored version of this incident which is also on Youtube).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

No more references to Ukraine please. That subject is off limits.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

15 hours ago, Fielder said:

But don't say bad words... (YT won't allow embedding the uncensored version of this incident which is also on Youtube).

It sounded like "Flatten Me" or something else beginning with an F which I cannot quite work out.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

This reminds me of something that happened years ago on this forum.  Tom Allensworth had either deleted or censored a guy for saying inappropriate things in his post.  The guy posted back saying that he had free speech.  Tom told him he may have free speech outside this forum but this was his forum and he made the rules here.  End of discussion.

Roy

20 hours ago, Fielder said:

That clip is a classic!

• Like 1