Sign in to follow this  
mSparks

X-Plane 12 Development Update – March 4th, 2022

4 hours ago, mtaxp said:

We won't see any new scenery footage as long as the dsf recuts task is still open.

I suspect/speculate it will transition to public beta more or less exactly at the same time they do.

Nothing to really back up that statement other than it seems to make sense.

In that before would attract the same criticism we have already seen that its the same as XP11.

And there is not much point in waiting much longer after they do.

AutoATC Developer

I'm a bit disappointed because I thought Laminar was much farther along their XP12 development road map.

• Upvote 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

3 hours ago, Bjoern said:

I'm a bit disappointed because I thought Laminar was much farther along their XP12 development road map.

Was it not you that pointed out that

https://feedback.x-plane.com/

Mostly said "we are looking into this for the future" when they first started replying?

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

4 hours ago, Bjoern said:

LR need to recruit another 50 new people and ditch the tired three men they currently have. You can't produce a modern title on a shoestring.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

LR need to recruit another 50 new people

What would you have them do and how would it increase sales?

If you really think there is money to be made doing so, put your money where your mouth is and do it, XP is open enough that you dont need to ask anyones permission.

Edited by mSparks
  • Upvote 2

AutoATC Developer

34 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

LR need to recruit another 50 new people and ditch the tired three men they currently have. You can't produce a modern title on a shoestring.

🤣🤣🤣

• Like 3

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

26 minutes ago, mSparks said:

What would you have them do and how would it increase sales?

If you really think there is money to be made doing so, put your money where your mouth is and do it, XP is open enough that you dont need to ask anyones permission.

Not my problem. I thought Meyer had made a fortune out of X-Plane so I would say it's down to him? Maybe I have misunderstood. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jarmstro said:

It doesn't help automagically to throw 9 women to bear a child in 1 month (in case you didn't know 🤣), as well as it doesn't help automagically to throw 50 (or even more) people onto a flight simulator. Base of my statement? Knowledge, logic and history.

• Upvote 1

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

1 hour ago, jarmstro said:

Not my problem. I thought Meyer had made a fortune out of X-Plane so I would say it's down to him? Maybe I have misunderstood. 

Just asking what need you think these 50 people should address. 

Like, are you suggesting Austin should employ 50 additional people to sit at home and make left shoes all day (I did nearly say post on facebook and avsim all day... but then its pretty obvious MS went all in on that job description). Or did you actually have something profitable in mind for them to spend their time on.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer

In the mean time, Jamstro takes another handfull of his popcorn and enjoys the show (which he is feeding with bits and pieces oh so skillfully).

Please ignore him, he is trolling. And he is now joining Greazer on my ignore list. (and yes, I know he has a big love for X-Plane, only he has a bigger love for trolling).

Edited by soaring_penguin

5 hours ago, mSparks said:

Was it not you that pointed out that

https://feedback.x-plane.com/

Mostly said "we are looking into this for the future" when they first started replying?

I think yes.

However, that isn't my point. It's the waiting that is absolutely frustrating.

5 hours ago, jarmstro said:

More developers doesn't mean faster development, same as more engineers doesn't mean better and faster solutions. Trust me on the latter.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

4 hours ago, soaring_penguin said:

he is trolling.

I know he's throwing around specially crafted sound bites. OTOH, there is some truth in his first sentence.

He would have known, I chewed up and spat out that soundbite 2 weeks ago, but when I tried to post this:

As a reply to

A mod kept hiding it. (so I made it that reddit post instead)

It's so many that, as per the OP

(The alpha program is also full, please don’t email us for access… sorry.) 

Edited by mSparks
  • Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

18 hours ago, jarmstro said:

Anyone who knows anything about software development would know how wrong this statement sounds. You can't just take on extra programmers and expect them to just drop straight in and start working and improving things. Not only would it take a very long time to train these developers up to understand the software they are working on and become productive (meaning it could even slow down development until that point), but also how would 50 people working and coding on the same problem actually make it go faster. It's like taking on 50 mechanics to stand around and work on fixing the same car.... it's unlikely to get fixed any quicker and just cause confusion.

They could perhaps take on more 3D artists to work on planes or scenery, but they you'd have to wonder how such a thing would be profitable. 

Finally, LR have more than 3 developers. Many of their contractors are developers who were previously 3rd party devs, showing that you need a certain expertise or familiarity to just be dropped in to work on parts of the simulator. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, tonywob said:

You can't just take on extra programmers and expect them to just drop straight in and start working and improving things.

Then maybe this is something that should be been done three years ago? I do think that the lack of investment in the sims future was an error brought on by complacency and that better late than never would be wise.

Edited by jarmstro

47 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Then maybe this is something that should be been done three years ago? I do think that the lack of investment in the sims future was an error brought on by complacency and that better late than never would be wise.

No one was willing to take the risk pre vulkan because opengl wasnt good enough for general consumers, let alone commercial use which has much stricter requirements.

LR have the only flight simulator where the entire graphics system is built on a modern graphics API.

MSFS DX12 isnt finished

DCS still havent finished their vulkan transition

P3D are DX12 in name only.

So no, its the others that are playing catchup with XP11. XP12 is a further development on capabilities the others havent even achieved yet. 

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer