Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

The Pale Blue Dot

Was just thinking of some things..... And suddenly remembered this.

• Like 4

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Nice post. I try to often pick up one of many Carl Sagan books (Pale Blue Dot is one) I have and immerse my brain into his writings. Sigh...if only there were more of these types of humans...lots more.

Cheers,

Greg

• Upvote 1

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

What else can I say but "awesome!"  😁

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I wonder how many pale blue dots are out there and how many are inhabited by intelligent life forms and of those how many are being destroyed by their inhabitants.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

I wonder how many pale blue dots are out there and how many are inhabited by intelligent life forms and of those how many are being destroyed by their inhabitants.

Noel

Well....

Its really quiet out there.....

Maybe most "Intelligent" life forms don't make it.

Not surprising, if they are anywhere near as shortsighted, violent and stoopid as we can be. 

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The dialog was very well done. He has a lovely narrator's voice.

Fr. Bill    

Carl Sagan always good to hear.

The video did rather put me in mind of an old kids tv program called the Clangers.

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

9 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Its really quiet out there.....

Maybe it's quiet for a good reason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, n4gix said:

The dialog was very well done. He has a lovely narrator's voice.

I find Dr Sagan's real voice just as evocative: Perhaps one of the most distinctive and quietly scholarly voices ever, and in a fun tidbit, the model on which Hugo Weaving JR modeled the speech patterns of Agent Smith in the Matrix films. 🙃

I found it hard to find a clip of Pale Blue Dot using Dr Sagan's actual voice safely sharable here, because most of them come with flash's of disturbing imagery, sure to discommode some Avsim visitor, somewhere out there..... Unfortunately.

Here is a nice one, using his real voice. But for safety, I include only a link. https://youtu.be/3i2y4sEQpRI

Devons rig

32 minutes ago, goates said:

Maybe it's quiet for a good reason.

Yup.....

Years ago, on a no-longer-existing technical website, a bunch of us got out our calculators and considered something similar to the above scenario, coming up with some terrifying numbers for the necessary speed and mass necessary for species-ending relativistic kill vehicles.

Then of course, philosophical debate and some game theory discussion of the classical Prisoners Dilemma.

Not stuff to make one sleep well at night.

Devons rig

17 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Here is a nice one, using his real voice. But for safety, I include only a link.

That was a very wise decision. Some of those scenes would definitely have invoked some unwanted commentary.  😉

Fr. Bill    

5 hours ago, n4gix said:

That was a very wise decision. Some of those scenes would definitely have invoked some unwanted commentary.  😉

Well..... Yeah.

I was especially uncertain about that iffy clip from lady and the tramp..... 🤔

• Like 1

Devons rig

This must upset those instagram influencers who think they're it.. 

Great video :cool:

• Like 1