Sign in to follow this  
Bozdog

Sound crackling distortion

Hi does anybody get this at all just occasionally   sound gets distorted for a second or two this can be the ambient sounds or the air traffic control voice only happens for about a second seems to have a slight pause the same time and flying on the VR headset it actually seems to crash the VR and I have to reload the headset does also occur in 2-D as well though. On Windows 11 just wondering if it’s an MSFS or /driver issue or a hardware issue no sound issues reported if I run  any performance checks on Windows 11 and all drivers up-to-date. 

New PC so I’m always a bit paranoid that the hard ware is faulty 

It’s very intermittent

thanks all 

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and noticed this too. It didn't happen with Windows 10. It could be driver issues

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, Bozdog said:

Hi does anybody get this at all just occasionally   sound gets distorted for a second or two this can be the ambient sounds or the air traffic control voice only happens for about a second seems to have a slight pause the same time and flying on the VR headset it actually seems to crash the VR and I have to reload the headset does also occur in 2-D as well though. On Windows 11 just wondering if it’s an MSFS or /driver issue or a hardware issue no sound issues reported if I run  any performance checks on Windows 11 and all drivers up-to-date. 

New PC so I’m always a bit paranoid that the hard ware is faulty 

It’s very intermittent

thanks all 

I'm on Windows 10 and noticing the same at about every flight after SU8 (with no VR, haven't tested with VR). I thought I had my doors open.

Edited by edpatino

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I get the same since upgrading to win 11, to be honest I'm relieved that others are also experiencing this weird phenomenon, i thought it was my PC. I get it occurring on YouTube as well.

Edited by SierraHotel

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

It's a Windows 11 issue. I've rolled back to Windows 10 for the foreseeable future.  

Former Child, Current Adult

Strangely enough, mine has got better over time, to the point where I hardly notice it at all and only on very rare occasions. I have however been delving into the reg in order to get better performance in MSFS.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Was having this intermittently as well, and wanted to share a suggestion that ended up being a permanent fix (on my system at least).

What I realized is my speakers had a digital optical input, so I swapped out the analog and replaced with a toslink instead, then changed the audio output in Windows and the sim to the the digital - lo and behold no more crackles and pops, and the associated stutter was gone as well.

I'm guessing, but perhaps this has to do with the DAC on the sound device, particularly if the GPU is saturating the BUS (creating latency and noise); that's why a digital bitstream bypasses this issue.   

Hope this helps

Edited by DylanM

1 hour ago, liamp51 said:

It's a Windows 11 issue. I've rolled back to Windows 10 for the foreseeable future.  

I'm using Windows 10 and having the issue.

1 hour ago, Krakin said:

It might be a ground loop issue that occurs when your gpu is under load. I've had it and it has gotten progressively worse to the point of it being unbearable.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/3d-vision/41/249476/nvidia-ground-loop-noise-under-load/

I tend to agree on this.

• Like 2

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I had the same issue many moons ago running Windows 7 64 bit with FSX.  This was on a newly built PC.  It turned out that the Bios needed updating.  This is far beyond my pay grade and was done for me, but fixed the issues.  Just a thought for you guys.

I'm getting this with Win 10. I've got an optical speaker connection but I'm not prepared to sacrifice my connection just for a little blip very occasionally. It gave me a fright the first couple of times but it's easy to ignore now.

Mike Beckwith

Brilliant guys thank you very much for your comments although  I guess it’s not brilliant for you as well  but I am relieved  I am  not the only one having the problems. 

I just get a bit paranoid whenever I buy something new that if there’s a 1 in a million chance of a faulty part I always seem to be that 1!  If only it was the same with the lottery🤣😂🤣

I’ve just re-installed  the latest sound driver for my motherboard so fingers crossed it might improve if not I’ll just try and make myself put up with it!  I am a bit ocd about getting everything to work perfectly😬

Thanks again  👍

Quest 2

Windows 11

11 minutes ago, Bozdog said:

I’ve just re-installed  the latest sound driver for my motherboard

Let me guess - you’ve got an on-board Realtek sound device?

I used to have this problem, but after disabling the Realtek sound device and switching to the sound device on my 3090 no more problems 🙂

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

1 hour ago, SierraDelta said:

Let me guess - you’ve got an on-board Realtek sound device?

I used to have this problem, but after disabling the Realtek sound device and switching to the sound device on my 3090 no more problems 🙂

Yes that’s the one.  My speakers not compatible with a graphics card.  They are about 20: years old before HDMI. DP even invented got an old sound blaster in loft maybey should  fit  that and my old 33k modem    😎

Edited by Bozdog
  • Like 1

Quest 2

Windows 11