Sign in to follow this  
Jaaron

Software advice for High School sim class

Hello All,

I'm a long time GA pilot recently scooped up by the local rural schoolboard to teach an Introduction to Aviation class.  The school board, God bless them, bought four flight sims (Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, 3 screens, and top of the line CPUs and graphics cards for P3Dv5 Academic). I bought one years ago for my Multi-IFR tickets and only used it for that purpose (wouldn't have gotten the tickets with out it!).

I have five days left of healthy budget and am asking for your advice on what add-ons to purchase. Am feeling quite overwhelmed with all of the options. 

I understand a lot of your add-on purchases are based on taste. I'm looking for those add-ons that really made a difference to your experience so the kids can feel fully immersed, and the parents and grandparents looking over their shoulders can have an equally immersive experience.

Thanx,

J

• Like 1

I'm moving this to the P3D forum where it will get better visibility.

For basic flight indoctrination, I'd start with P3Dv5 plus weather and training aircraft add-ons: ActiveSky P3D together with Active Sky Cloud Art (ASCA), and the A2A Cessna 172.

• Like 3

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

4 minutes ago, Bob Scott said:

For basic flight indoctrination, I'd start with P3Dv5 plus weather and training aircraft add-ons: ActiveSky P3D together with Active Sky Cloud Art (ASCA), and the A2A Cessna 172.

Absolutely! 🙂 The 172 is likely the first plane they'll encounter if they choose to start flight school, and there's just nothing that comes close to the A2A C172 when it comes to immersion. If you have time, check out this playlist on YouTube for an overview of the level of detail they went for in this add-on.

• Like 2

I was also going to recommend the A2A Cessna 172, as I'm flying it myself in order to study the basics of flying. It does require reading the manual (and maybe some additional material), but at the same time it's also visually (and acoustically) appealing, making it a gem all along... so, in other words, likely exactly what you're looking for.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for such quick responses!

The HIFI Active sky (and Cloud Art), as well as A2A 172 are first on the list. The kids are asking, of course, for weapons access in our Academic version. Do you know anything about VRS's TacPack®/Superbug™ 

Also, I'm wondering if the collection of Canadian Airports from SIMADDONS is still a relevant add-on for P3Dv5.3?

J

Jaaron,

The SIMADDONS Canadian airports are reasonably good, certainly better than default.  I use them all, but they aren't "cutting edge" like Flightbeam etc.  If you have the money, they're worth a go for the ease of installing them all by region.  There are individual airports by various other developers which may/may not be better, but they're all "one off" installs.  SIMADDONS is definitely easier.

Mark

Oh thanks Mark! Without a review, I had stricken SIMMADONS off my purchase list. You just put it back on and I'm looking forward to checking it out!

J

I think the RealTurb add-ons can add a lot to the immersion too.  Without it, wind does not interact with hills and terrain around you.  Makes it far more like real-life flying for me.  Fairly cheap too.

Depending on how you like the default camera system - I would say chase plane or EZDOK (only used EZDOK myself) for ease of camera use.  You can assign hotkeyes to views you preset inside the cockpit (or outside)- I wouldn't sim without it.  Someone more enlightened might correct me if you can do this by default with P3D, but I don't believe you can.  Just be sure to turn any effects off if you do decide to use one unless you know what you're doing. - they can interfere with the flght dynamics of the aircraft if you don't know what you're up to.

Cheers,
Rudy