Sign in to follow this  
rutrA

[18APR] 737 Update: NDA lifted (15:00z)

PMDG 737 Developer Update: Kicking things off on youtube, and lifting the embargo on beta testers and streamers

Today, 08:40

Captains,

During the evening last night, we finally kicked off the PMDG 737 for MSFS video series on our official youtube channel. The first three videos of the series are all now visible and lay the foundation for beginning the process of getting deeper into the hows-and-whats of the PMDG 737. We anticipate releasing new content every couple of days, focusing with increasing levels of specificity on the airplane, it's features, functions and options, as well as the actual systems of the airplane and their various quirks and behaviors.

If you are a long-time PMDG product user, you may find the first few videos to be only mildly informative, but we think that beginning with the next couple videos in the series you will likely learn some things about the PMDG 737 that you didn't know, even with all of your years of experience. The video series is being developed to serve multiple purposes, including some preview work, general familiarization with a PMDG product as a whole, and of course detail instructions and information so that you can use the video series as a handy reference for tasks that you might have forgotten or need a refresher on later in the summer.

I anticipate we will be releasing one new video approximately every other day for the next couple of weeks as we work through the entire content plan. We hope you enjoy them!

Tonight I wanted to share with you two detail interior shots that came from Jason's photoshoot on Saturday. They show you opposite ends of the main panel, at different times of day, with plenty of detail in close to the panel in both day and night lighting. In this first image, you can see the ever-pervasive dust that is attracted to the screen surfaces in every modern cockpit. While flying in the real world, many of us carry micro-fiber and other devices to rid the airplane of this type of stuff, but it seems no matter how hard you try, there is always more by the time you land.

An area where MSFS really shines (pun intended!) is the night lighting. We have been able to really accurately replicate the various types and styles of lighting in the 737 cockpit, giving the flight deck a really nice ambiance glow that is very convincing to the eye. One of my favorite things about the lighting engine in MSFS is the ability to set the panel flood lighting to very very dim levels, which is what I do when flying at night for real. I find that having only the panel backlighting active makes it a bit hard to see some switches and knobs, but having just a slight level of light washing over the panels makes the details stand out far more clearly- and this effect is well modeled in MSFS.

In this image, Jason has the lights turned up quite a bit, but you can see how the lighting model allows us to create an environment in which the lighting plays off of surfaces and mixes with the lighting created by other sources, giving an overall incredibly realistic feel to the cockpit.

If you like these images, you are about to begin seeing quite a bit more, I suspect, as we are releasing our beta team from their embargo effective at 1500Z today. We have put a few limitations on them when presenting video as we know of certain areas in our sound implementation that aren't finished yet so we don't want them showing you those sections until they "sound right." That may just be a matter of a few more days.

We are in the process of looping in a few content creators that we think are positive role models in the community so you will soon begin to see content created by those folks in the coming days as well.

As of this moment, we are still quite happy with the pace of progress as we move the PMDG 737 for MSFS closer to release. We have an exceptionally busy agenda this week, but I remain convinced that we are close to setting a date-certain for release. Once we have that date set, we will communicate that information to you here.

On the topic of releases: There has been some drama from some corners regarding our release timeline. It is safe to ignore said drama, as most of it is purely synthetic. The product continues to move forward toward release and we continue to evaluate all aspects of the product to determine it's suitability for your use. Our over-arching goal is to ensure that you have a smooth entry into 737 flying within MSFS and nothing else except this goal figures into the evaluation and determination of release readiness for the product.

We wish you all a smooth start to the new week!

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/general-discussion-news-and-announcements/169243-18apr22-pmdg-737-developer-update-kicking-things-off-on-youtube-and-lifting-the-embargo-on-beta-testers-and-streamers

Edited by rutra
  • Like 3

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB RAM 5200MHz, Asus Prime B650+, 850W PSU

English is not my first language.

Sounds like Chewwy will be live on Twitch 

2 minutes ago, YouDontKnow said:

"we are releasing our beta team from their embargo effective at 1500Z today"

Not sure the content creators in terms of streaming will be today if you read this part but I could be wrong.

We are in the process of looping in a few content creators that we think are positive role models in the community so you will soon begin to see content created by those folks in the coming days as well.”

Either way - it’s good news all round and we are finally making progress towards a release.

Edited by Zangoose

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

I don't see any Twitter post from Chewwy yet on whether he will be streaming the PMDG 737.  Nothing from Fabio either, although Fabio doesn't use his Twitter account much these days.

If anybody gets word that a Twitch or Youtube streamer will be streaming the PMDG 737, please let us know.  I would love to see the PMDG 737 streamed live on Twitch or Youtube!  

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

1 hour ago, rutra said:

Sounds like Chewwy will be live on Twitch 

Did you get this information from Chewwy's Discord?  I didn't see him post anything on his Twitter account about him streaming the PMDG 737 today.

Edit: Nevermind, just a few minutes ago, Chewwy posted on Twitter that he will be streaming the PMDG 737: 

Edited by abrams_tank

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rutra said:

Thanks!  I went to his Twitter account again and saw this post!  1500z, yeah baby! If my math is correct, 1500z should be about 5 hours from the time of this post (it's currently almost 0900z).

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Reading between the lines with regards to the video program it's still more than two weeks before the plane is released.

Just now, jarmstro said:

Reading between the lines with regards to the video program it's still more than two weeks before the plane is released.

I'm fine with that. We have been waiting for 1.5 years already.  Another 2 weeks, that's nothing 😁

• Like 3

i can rememeber when msfs nda lifted and trying to watch chewwy stream and every 10 seconds a donation or a sub came in and made it impossible to watch, 

50 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

That would be pretty much when SU9 releases, yes. They are apparently packing it up to be compatible for SU9, so they cannot release it before, because it might not work correctly with SU8.

37 minutes ago, Zangoose said:

If it’s not your thing, there will be other videos out there at some point.

I think its great to see ms2020 out there on twitch, YT and the like, and im sure they will improve over the year as well

Yes, seems like they will release it perhaps during the week that SU9 is out.  We can hope.  If some of the last/final PMDG videos overlap release that seems logical.

Simon