Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

TDS GTN 750

7 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

feature rich meaning does it have full functionality with no compromises

Edited by Carts85

35 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

feature rich meaning does it have full functionality with no compromises

The P3D version had compromises....  It's using the Garmin trainer just like this version.  That's as feature rich as you can get.  METAR doesn't work (yet) - but really who cares - the MSFS weather isn't accurate to real world METAR at times anyway.  Crossfill doesn't work (also "yet" hehe).  And you know about the navdata not being easily updatable - unless you have a Garmin/Jepp sub.

I've flown in a few planes with the 750 and 650 irl.  The TDS is identical to real world - when I get in a real plane and the sim plane - the navigational features are the same.  You can study the version in the sim and apply it to your real flying.  Period.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

5 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

The P3D version had compromises....  It's using the Garmin trainer just like this version.  That's as feature rich as you can get.  METAR doesn't work (yet) - but really who cares - the MSFS weather isn't accurate to real world METAR at times anyway.  Crossfill doesn't work (also "yet" hehe).  And you know about the navdata not being easily updatable - unless you have a Garmin/Jepp sub.

I've flown in a few planes with the 750 and 650 irl.  The TDS is identical to real world - when I get in a real plane and the sim plane - the navigational features are the same.  You can study the version in the sim and apply it to your real flying.  Period.

I was wondering about the crossfill and weather for that matter. You mentioned a "YET" care to elaborate? The missing crossfill sucks for sure. 

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

2 hours ago, Pivot said:

I was wondering about the crossfill and weather for that matter. You mentioned a "YET" care to elaborate? The missing crossfill sucks for sure. 

I can't elaborate.  I understand your frustration with crossfill though.  I'd recommend using the second gtn to display variables that wouldn't relate to your flight.  Frequently I'll do OAT, Fuel Flow, and either wind or ground speed (because I don't have room on gtn 1), or maybe charts or timer.

Or if it's not a complex FPL, just enter it on gtn 2.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

11 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

I can't elaborate.  I understand your frustration with crossfill though.  I'd recommend using the second gtn to display variables that wouldn't relate to your flight.  Frequently I'll do OAT, Fuel Flow, and either wind or ground speed (because I don't have room on gtn 1), or maybe charts or timer.

Or if it's not a complex FPL, just enter it on gtn 2.

That's basically what I have been doing. Thought I might have been overlooking a setting for the CF though. That definitely makes things easier.. Thank you Ryan you are the mentor to a lot of people in this hobby..

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

On 5/7/2022 at 5:15 PM, Bert Pieke said:

I have them both, and for me, the TDS is the only unit I use.  I have it installed in my RV14, C414, C310, C337, M20, and Seminole.

If you are looking for a popup map to go with other airplanes, the PMS unit is the one.. but I do not use it for that purpose.

They do not operate together.. you have to chose one or the other for any aircraft you own.

thanks for the reply - not need for a pop up so I am leaning towards TDS - when you say you have installed for these x6 aircraft assume it comes with/in the aircraft or do you need to install a "folder" in the community for each one?

also in terms of the traffic/TCAS functionality assume its the same across both pms and tds?

24 minutes ago, mac44 said:

thanks for the reply - not need for a pop up so I am leaning towards TDS - when you say you have installed for these x6 aircraft assume it comes with/in the aircraft or do you need to install a "folder" in the community for each one?

also in terms of the traffic/TCAS functionality assume its the same across both pms and tds?

It depends on the aircraft.. the C310, RV14, and C414 each have a TDS option, but the Carenado aircraft need a "folder" to replace the PMS unit by the TDS unit.

As for traffic functionality, I honestly have never compared the two..

For me, the decisive difference is that the TDS unit has correct Garmin flight plan management, whereas the PMS unit suffers from the broken Asobo approach to flight planning..

See screenshot at the bottom of this post:

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

14 hours ago, Pivot said:

That's basically what I have been doing. Thought I might have been overlooking a setting for the CF though. That definitely makes things easier.. Thank you Ryan you are the mentor to a lot of people in this hobby..

Thanks!  I've noticed there are other old timers here but many have left.  Aviation is near and dear to me.  Even when I am so busy in life (like I am now), it's fun to get a little flightsim in - I might learn something new and apply it to the real world!

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I just downloaded the TDS GTN750 and when flying the Milviz 310 or the turbo arrow by Just Flight in MSFS I get to the first turn in the flight plan and it freezes every time. Any body having that problem.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Matranga said:

I just downloaded the TDS GTN750 and when flying the Milviz 310 or the turbo arrow by Just Flight in MSFS I get to the first turn in the flight plan and it freezes every time. Any body having that problem.

Have not heard of anyone having that issue.

I'd recommend TDS discord channel:

https://discord.gg/Txn8rahZ

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |