Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Poll: Significant problems after SU9 install?

Significant Problems after SU9  

327 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Have you had significant problems w/ performance, stutters, or other that you were unable to resolve reasonably quickly?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/28/2022 at 09:05 PM

Last week I had a couple of memory errors…”couldn’t read memory module….” At some specific location. Both times very close to the destination, KSGU then. Today I had the same approaching KSBP, 11 miles out. Seems like it’s a known isssue.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/msfs-application-error-memory-could-not-be-read/510977/149?page=3

3 hours ago, cobalt said:

The fact that this problem is so strongly correlated with geographical location and altitude, makes it unlikely that any change in settings would alleviate it

Agreed. It seem likely that this (as well as many other similar issues) is not related to hardware, in-sim settings or outside-sim settings (nVidia CP, internet connection etc).. but stability issues within the sim itself or related to cloud gaming / server stability. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

4 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

My recipe for a smooth sim is to adjust terrain LOD as necessary depending on scenery (e.g. 100-120 at major hubs); turn off photogrammetry and lock FPS to 30 with v-sync in sim.

Exactly that ^

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

8 hours ago, Noel said:

What is your Object & Terrain LODs set at as well as screen resolution and Render Scaling if you will?  Also, you might disable photogrammetry outright to offload the main thread a bit and the visual change is not noticeable in large part.

Also, how are you running the sim in terms of vsync/frame lock?

Thanks, Noel. I have had photogrammetry turned off for months. Having v-sync on or off makes no difference; I have it on, with frames locked at 60, and get smooth performance everywhere (typically 40 FPS or higher) except on or near the ground in certain areas which I listed in an earlier post. Changing any of the settings you mention has no effect, which doesn't surprise me since the problem is so dependent on geography and altitude.

Edited by cobalt

31 minutes ago, cobalt said:

I have it on, with frames locked at 60, and get smooth performance everywhere (typically 40 FPS or higher) except on or near the ground in certain areas

This could very well be a sim/server issue. I have a similar experience. At the moment I only fly in Europe, and I’ve got a lot of payware airports that I’ve been visiting regularly over the past months. Some are more resource heavy than others (EGLL, EDDH).  I’ve had fps plummet to 15-20 at certain airports. But to have fps crash as low as 3-4.. I’ll  venture to guess that’s a sim related issue. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

On 5/7/2022 at 9:38 PM, Cpt_Piett said:

This could very well be a sim/server issue. I have a similar experience. At the moment I only fly in Europe, and I’ve got a lot of payware airports that I’ve been visiting regularly over the past months. Some are more resource heavy than others (EGLL, EDDH).  I’ve had fps plummet to 15-20 at certain airports. But to have fps crash as low as 3-4.. I’ll  venture to guess that’s a sim related issue. 

But how could a sim-server issue exist only for certain altitudes and geographical regions, and not for others? I don't see how that is possible.

Whatever the cause, today's update (1.25.9.0) has fixed the problem, I am happy to report. I hope that similar issues with severe performance hits, reported by others, have also been fixed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cobalt said:

today's update (1.25.9.0)

Didn't know this was released until I saw your post. Just started a flight. Alt-Enter and I can see that I'm on 1.25.9.0. 

As to my previous post, I was just speculating. A lot of the MSFS performance issues does not make much sense. Glad to hear you're getting better performance after the bugfix.