Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

First images of Milky Way black hole!

So there is a massive black hole at the center of our galaxy.  I suppose it is slowly sucking in everything that constitutes our galaxy.  I, for one, shall not stand for this!  I'm writing to my congressional representative and I want a law passed to regulate this black hole and prevent it from destroying my solar system!  Harumph, harumph!

Edited by stans
  • Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

1 hour ago, stans said:

I suppose it is slowly sucking in everything that constitutes our galaxy. 

Nope, only what's in its gravitational influence. 😁 No need  to complain to your representative. 

41 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Nope, only what's in its gravitational influence. 😁 No need  to complain to your representative. 

Well, I'm going to complain anyway.  Who knows, there may be some inhabited planet nearing this abomination's gravitational pull and we need to make friends in this galaxy.  Never know when some alien bacteria might be brought to our planet, it grows out of control, starts destroying the human race and we might need some off-planet help to battle our microbial invader. 😁

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I have my sights set on a "Milky Way"! 

milkyway.jpeg

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

24 minutes ago, charliearon said:

I have my sights set on a "Milky Way"! 

milkyway.jpeg

Grrrr..... You stole my joke. I had it all planned. 🤬

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, stans said:

Well, I'm going to complain anyway.

Well okay then. You never know, your representative might be a member of a Kardshev type 3 civilisation. Therefore might be advanced enough to deal with a supermassive black hole.  👍

EDIT: Although if its true that the inside of a black hole is another universe, to do so would annihilate an entre universe. 😲 So me thinks best not to complain and leave the supermassive black hole alone. 🤔

Edited by martin-w

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

Grrrr..... You stole my joke. I had it all planned. 🤬

Sorry, Martin!  Like I told the guy last week when I beat him at picking up a folded $20 bill laying in the gutter...."Ya gotta be fast to beat me!" 😁

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I think we are losing sight of the fact that we now have that wonderful image in the original post link.

Here it is!

spacer.png

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I know the said black hole is huge, not just in terms of mass but dimensionally too, 40% of the size of our solar system, but that's one hell of an impressive achievement to generate an image, emphasised nicely by the image above posted by Space Cadet Fielder.

....although the 144 light years per day velocity of an imaginary planet is not entirely believable :wink:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

3 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

....although the 144 light years per day velocity of an imaginary planet is not entirely believable :wink:

Ignore the Niburu nonsense my fellow feline worshipers. Look at where the Earth is and the immense distance to Sag A* 

Edited by martin-w

I never saw a purple cat.

spacer.png

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Tell the camera operator to move in a little closer so we can get a better look 😁

• Like 1

Matthew Kane

On 5/13/2022 at 7:26 AM, stans said:

I'm writing to my congressional representative and I want a law passed to regulate this black hole

But first Congress must hold several committee meetings to determine the voracity of your request. Then, if found viable, they will hold several more committee meetings to ascertain a proper course of action. This will be followed by a series of bi-partisan special committees to determine which federal agency will develop the regulations and at what cost. By then the Black Hole will probably have consumed the entire galaxy and like so many things Congress does, it'll be too little too late.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.