Sign in to follow this  
TomCYYZ

Fenix "A LOCK" Showing ON ECAM; AP NOT ENGAGING

My first 2 flights in the FENIX A 320, I have had an alert on the ECAM, "A LOCK" and I am unable to retract FLAPS 1. Also the PFD has alerts "LVR CLB" & "MAN TOGA" and I also cannot ENGAGE the AP.  I do eventually get the AP to cooperate & engage with some nose down pressure and moving the throttles back a bit.  The "MAN TOGA" alert was probably to do with my forgetting to engage TOGA on Takeoff. I am not sure what I am doing wrong and I obviously am. Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on this.

Regards,

TS

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I MSI Z790-VC | MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker | 850W Thermaltake 80+ GOLD |

A-LOCK indicates that the slats have been locked due to high angle of attack and/or low speed. LVR CLB = Put the throttles in Climb position

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

At this stage it might be best if you go watch a few YouTube videos to get some idea what you need to do.

There is a link in my sig below that should help you also.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Think of the throttle on the airbus as more of a mode selection switch than a throttle.  choices being idle, CLB, flex and toga.  when taking off put the throttle into flex, to perform whatever derate you have programmed in the mcdu, or toga to go off on full thrust.  after takeoff, at deceleration height, put your throttle in CLB detent and leave it there until you are 20 feet above the runway at your destination (usually).  you don't use a toga button in the bus, what you select with the throttle is what you do.  computer takes care of the rest.  Also make sure to set your trim to the correct pitch before takeoff  (the UP0.2 or similar figure you get from the takeoff calculator in the EFB)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Nyxx is right. I recommend a youtube tutorial like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-j-JvXglDo

or others from Easyjetsimpilot or V1 just follow their flights and take some notes... Good luck, its fun learning a new aircraft!

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

8 hours ago, Nyxx said:

At this stage it might be best if you go watch a few YouTube videos to get some idea what you need to do.

There is a link in my sig below that should help you also.

Thanks, All! David, I have watched pretty well all the videos. I am even using the Checklist you put together. BTW, it makes things so much easier when performing the pre-flight cockpit routine. Thanks as well, for your hard work  putting that together and sharing with the community. 

Edited by TomCYYZ
  • Like 1

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I MSI Z790-VC | MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker | 850W Thermaltake 80+ GOLD |

8 hours ago, ShawnG said:

Think of the throttle on the airbus as more of a mode selection switch than a throttle.  choices being idle, CLB, flex and toga.  when taking off put the throttle into flex, to perform whatever derate you have programmed in the mcdu, or toga to go off on full thrust.  after takeoff, at deceleration height, put your throttle in CLB detent and leave it there until you are 20 feet above the runway at your destination (usually).  you don't use a toga button in the bus, what you select with the throttle is what you do.  computer takes care of the rest.  Also make sure to set your trim to the correct pitch before takeoff  (the UP0.2 or similar figure you get from the takeoff calculator in the EFB)

Thanks for that ShawnG, I must be getting a little fast or maybe too slow on my reaction times with the throttle during takeoffs. On this particular flight the EFB calculator gave me a Flap 1 DN0.0, which I entered into the MCDU, which seemed kind of odd to me, but I used it anyway. 

4 minutes ago, TomCYYZ said:

Thanks for that ShawnG, I must be getting a little fast or maybe too slow on my reaction times with the throttle during takeoffs. On this particular flight the EFB calculator gave me a Flap 1 DN0.0, which I entered into the MCDU, which seemed kind of odd to me, but I used it anyway. 

Depends on the CG you are putting in on the EFB performance calculator. Flaps 1 and DN0.1 sounds pretty usual to me. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

49 minutes ago, TomCYYZ said:

That’s fine, but also entering it into the Mcdu doesn’t actually set the trim.  You have to do that manually with the wheel.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ShawnG said:

That’s fine, but also entering it into the Mcdu doesn’t actually set the trim.  You have to do that manually with the wheel.

Entering the trim in the MCDU on the performance page after the flap setting, does in fact adjust the trim according to Fenix. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

4 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Entering the trim in the MCDU on the performance page after the flap setting, does in fact adjust the trim according to Fenix. 

Does it?  It doesn’t move the needle to the position.  And iirc the real bus needs to be set manually for takeoff trim.  Once you have it set and going, the bus trims it for you.  Think the 330 is automatic.

1 minute ago, ShawnG said:

Does it?  It doesn’t move the needle to the position.  And iirc the real bus needs to be set manually for takeoff trim.  Once you have it set and going, the bus trims it for you.  Think the 330 is automatic.

The real A320 Pilot in his videos mentions it, and I have seen it on the Discord page more than once. I used to set the trim by hand, until I read that. I will have to experiment with that on next takeoff to see if it really moves the trim wheel. 

23 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

The real A320 Pilot in his videos mentions it, and I have seen it on the Discord page more than once. I used to set the trim by hand, until I read that. I will have to experiment with that on next takeoff to see if it really moves the trim wheel. 

Just to confirm, I distinctly recall glancing down at the trim wheel just before takeoff, that the trim was indicating DN 0.0, the value I entered into the MCDU.

3 minutes ago, TomCYYZ said:

Just to confirm, I distinctly recall glancing down at the trim wheel just before takeoff, that the trim was indicating DN 0.0, the value I entered into the MCDU.

I have never had a problem with takeoff trim that I set in the MCDU , all the way from dn0.4 to up0.9