Sign in to follow this  
AJZip

Upgrading from G1 to Reverb G2 - surprising discovery

My VR experience a couple of years ago started with the HP Reverb Gen 1.

For a long time, I resisted the temptation to upgrade to the Gen 2 because I guessed the improvement would be marginal and had hoped that, within a year or so, an affordable step change might come available in the VR headset marketplace.

But the affordable step change product hasn't yet arrived.  And I was tempted a little more by the claims of the recently updated version of the Reverb G2, especially a modest improvement in Field if View.  And so, I bit the bitter pill and bought it.

And, for me, it is indeed worth the extra cost.  The screen door effect is better than the G1.  The colours...hmmm...maybe a touch better but not so sure.  The FOV with the new magnetic spacer removed is indeed better.  Sure, it's no Pimax but it certainly loses at least some of the scuba mask look!  And, for me, it is much more comfortable (was it just me that found the Gen 1 extremely uncomfortable to wear more than 30 minutes or so?)

But there is one aspect, for MSFS, where, to my surprise, I have found the Gen 2 less good than the Gen 1 headset.  And the surprise is...it is the tracking.  Not the hand-controller tracking (I don't use that yet because I only use the headset for MSFS and MSFS use of hand-controllers is still...what's the polite word...work-in-progress.)  It is the head tracking inside the cockpit.  The kind of thing that generally happens if the room isn't dark enough, or if you are sitting too close to the bright screen, etc..

The main issue was that it would judder and momentarily auto-zoom each time I went, say, from forward view to looking at the throttle bank, centre right on the wonderful JF BAe146 or PMDG737.  I tried upping the lighting, covering the monitor - all the normal stuff...but it was noticeably worse than the Gen 1 used to be.

And then I had a thought.  The Gen2 (certainly the latest version) has 4 tracking cameras and the Gen 1 only has 2.  So I put the aircraft onto autopilot, covered the two extra side cameras with my hands and...yup, all of the visual aberrations went away!

So I got a couple of pieces of decorator's masking tape and covered the two side cameras over...and have just had my best VR flight ever.

If hand-controller support improves to the point that they become usable, or if X-Plane 12 finally makes a show, then I'll peel off the tape and give the controllers a shot - because I am sure that extra tracking for controllers would be very useful...but until then, masking tape it is! 😉

Anyone else had a similar experience with this issue?      

• Like 2

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

Hmmm, im still a VR noob for sure so always interested in whatever can make the experience better....

So, in essence, the G2 DOESN'T need to side cameras  - unless you have controllers (which i don't)?

Very interesting indeed!

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

25 minutes ago, vonduck said:

Hmmm, im still a VR noob for sure so always interested in whatever can make the experience better....

So, in essence, the G2 DOESN'T need to side cameras  - unless you have controllers (which i don't)?

Very interesting indeed!

Well, bear in mind that I might be the only person in the world who has found this, but, for me, for this sim, yes. 

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

As a Reverb G2 revised owner, I was having all sorts of funky tracking judder and zooming occurring on its own, until I found out that I have to clear the Environment Data in the Mixed Reality Portal about every two weeks (I found this workaround posted online).  Once it's cleared all that "noise" goes away...though eventually it comes back 🙁.  Sort a of pain to deal with, but it works.   Seems to me it's a software issue that I hope HP/MS will fix (rather than point fingers).  BTW, this problem effects other VR titles I play too.

• Like 3

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

^ Same for me. Need to clear environment periodically. Will have to try the camera trick too. Thanks for noting it 🙂 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dogmanbird said:

^ Same for me. Need to clear environment periodically. Will have to try the camera trick too. Thanks for noting it 🙂 

And I will be trying the environment clearing 🙂

On 6/11/2022 at 11:59 PM, TheFamilyMan said:

I have to clear the Environment Data in the Mixed Reality Portal

Thanks a lot for this tip! It completely eliminated al that juddering that had been annoying me for weeks.

• Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2