Sign in to follow this  
Drumcode

Wait for RTX 4xxx series, or nah?

Thinking about building a new box around September/October timeframe with RTX 3090 Ti FTW. Wondering whether I should wait for the 4xxx series or just get the 3090 now and just stick it in my current box and get the rest of the components later as planned. I'm assuming the price point for the higher end 4xxx series will be $2k +? Any thoughts? That 3090 Ti FTW is a beast from what I'm hearing.

Edited by Drumcode

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

4 hours ago, Drumcode said:

Wondering whether I should wait for the 4xxx series

I would absolutely wait for the 40 series.

It gives you a chance to see what new tech, what extra speed and extra VRAM (if any) they give over the equivalent current gen GPU models.

With the latest crypto mining frenzy over, GPU prices *shouldn't* be as high as we saw with the 30 series cards. Also, second-hand GPUs won't sell as easily given the glut and the high rate of inflation in many countries.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

MicroCenter has the AMD 6900xt Red Devils for $699 (16gb ram), these are as fast as 3080/3090 in most games, faster in some games, and similar even in MSFS (slightly less depends which test you believe). They have 16GB ram, so they are a good stop gap. These are great 4k cards already, need a big case and good P/S (same with NVIDIA too though). DLSS is nice to have, but it is not the end of the world or the end-all be-all.

Be careful with power supplies when upgrading, I have a 1000 watt but it's a few years old and I think some aged capacitor issue in the P/S given me issues, so replacing P/S with 1200 watt new.

You have to go to the store though, they don't generally ship them out.
This card is going for $1000 on Amazon, that's how good the MicroCenter deal is...

When the 40 series comes out, sell it and recoup most of your money.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

The 3090 is way over price still. Prices will do nothing but continue to drop every day as we near the 4080 release.

Being near a huge release like this, I would hold off on any purchases. Save your money and enjoy the large performance and efficiency gain from the 4080 when it hits.

As far as price, without mining, IMO there is no way they will ask more than ~$1300 for a 4080.

They'll always be something better around the corner, who knows what will happen, shortages - prices, you never know.
Find a stop gap is the best thing, as the expected release date could be delayed further.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

3 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

They'll always be something better around the corner, who knows what will happen, shortages - prices, you never know.

Indeed, as soon as the 4080 is released, you can bet there'll be previews of the 5080 showing up...

I'm still very happy with my 3090, which I managed to get in late 2020 a few months after they were released and before prices went parabolic.  If I were to be looking to build a new system right now (I'm not) I'd opt to go ahead and build keeping the 3090 in the configuration rather than waiting around for the 4xxx series.

I think you'd be good either way you go.  The 3090 has yet to leave me wishing I had more GPU power or VRAM.

• Like 3

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 hour ago, Bob Scott said:

I'm still very happy with my 3090, which I managed to get in late 2020 a few months after they were released and before prices went parabolic.  If I were to be looking to build a new system right now (I'm not) I'd opt to go ahead and build keeping the 3090 in the configuration rather than waiting around for the 4xxx series.

I think you'd be good either way you go.  The 3090 has yet to leave me wishing I had more GPU power or VRAM.

This is why I'm interested now and I'm sure the 3090 Ti FTW3, would serve me for many years to come. I never had top of the line cards since I started simming in 1997 and I've always went the cheaper route because it made sense for me financially, but now I am ready to go above and beyond to get myself a primo system and I am also starting to notice that my current 2070 Super is starting to struggle. 

One thing I may do is wait overall for the 4xxx's to come out and observe if the card I'd like to get is going to drop in price.

Edited by Drumcode

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

One added note, if you plan to do VR, you'll want the 4080. Unless you go with a low res VR headset then it doesn't matter.

I'm ready. I have a brand spanking new 1600W EVGA T2 power supply sitting in a box ready to go.

I guess I'll have to fly in the fall and winter only so I can heat the house at the same time. 

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

15 hours ago, MDFlier said:

I'm ready. I have a brand spanking new 1600W EVGA T2 power supply sitting in a box ready to go.

I guess I'll have to fly in the fall and winter only so I can heat the house at the same time. 

Holy cow a 1.6KW power supply for a gaming PC,

When you fire that bad boy up they'll have to bring an auxiliary nuclear power station on line lol

Enjoy your new beast when it's running 

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

I hope I never have to use it all. It'll get to hot in the house.  But I did know that my old 750 wasn't going to cut it in my next computer. I don't even have plans to build one yet but I got this one on sale so I figured I might as well start getting the basics together.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

I bought the EVGA 1200 watt one because it was the highest wattage that was the same relative size as my previous 1000 watt Rosewill. So just a note to others, EVGA has a 1200 watt that fits most cases. 1200 watt is plenty for now, if I need more than that when upgrading, then I may wait for a more power friendly upgrade to become available.

It's always technically better to wait, but I feel that I won't be able to beat the 6900xt performance unless I spend more even after the 4000 series launch in November. The most astonishing thing about switching from NVIDIA to AMD is just how nice the AMD software is "IN THEORY", but at the same time how crappy it is. It's loaded with "reset" bugs and purposeful "your settings were reset due to a timeout", so if you even end task on a game when it's not related to the video card, it often resets all your fan settings. It never ceases to amaze me the stupidity that can exist in a genius level product, hence the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.

I mean it is absurd that they can build something as complex as a GPU, and cannot even make a simple software design decision correctly. AMD is a company with some issues still, but overall the card itself is great, but the AMD Adrenaline software is an horrendous disaster.

Edited by Alpine Scenery