Hey guys,

So last December 2021 I built a new pc, specs:

i9-10850k

RTX 3060 12 GB

Corsair DDR4 32GB

Multiple SSDs.

I am on p3d v 4.5 and it’s running pretty good. Was thinking about possibly selling my 3060 and upgrading to a 3080. My main question is, would it be worth it? Would I see much performance improvement? Is it true p3d is mainly cpu intensive? I remember I got my 3060 before I built the rest of my pc and I put it in my old system paired with a i7-3770k and didn’t see much performance difference, so I’m skeptical. Eventually I’ll probably switch to msfs once / if the AI engine ever improves.

Thoughts?

Edited by Danthepilot77

40 minutes ago, Danthepilot77 said:

I am on p3d v 4.5 and it’s running pretty good.

So the first question is what are you hoping to achieve?  If you purchased the 3060 before December 21 then you made a significant investment and the current resale market reality is you will not recover.  Clearly the 3080 prices have also come down. So why get hosed for the tune of $300-$400 on the 3060, and then pay $700-$800 for a 3080 (assume 12 gb)?  So how far beyond "running pretty good" will you then even notice?  And at what realistic cost?  Feel blessed you found a 3060 when you did and play it out...  $700~$800 reserved for your next system.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Whether or not it might produce a respectable performance improvement depends a lot on the resolution and refresh rate of your display.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

There's a couple of things to bear in mind which have served me well when upgrading various sim rigs I have had with various GPUs:

a) As a rule of thumb, I usually do a comparison first based on Tom's Hardware GPU chart that compares relative performance across various screens resolutions for various GPUs. In my mind, a GPU upgrade (given the investment required) is worth making if you can at least double the performance by moving to a new card as compared to your current card. i.e I did upgrade from a GTX 1070 to an RTX3070 and it did make a difference in P3D v5 and I am running a 1440p UWQHD monitor.

b) It also depends upon your definition of "performance". Your FPS may increase incrementally, but moving to a RTX 3080 would likely give you better performance in being able to run other graphics settings higher in P3D that effect visual quality more.

I would also just mention that the power required for the RTX 3080 is significantly larger than the RTX 3060 you currently have, so make sure if you decide to make the jump, make sure your power supply is up to the task and as a side note, its well known that the RTX 3080 will also generate more heat for your PC case, so good cooling is also needed.

I hope that helps in making your decision just a little bit easier.😉

Edited by 787flyer
typo
  • Like 2

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

On 8/15/2022 at 9:13 PM, Danthepilot77 said:

Thoughts?

Very little (thoughts) going thru my addled ganglia these days.  😁

But my first thought was...what resolution are you running?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Having come from a 1070Ti to a 3080Ti I can say the following.

I have a 1080P monitor capable of syncing down to 23 Hz and I run a 2560x1440 screen mode @ 30 Hz via NVidia's Dynamic Super Resolution with auto switching to and back from the screen mode using an app named "Display Changer".

For myself, being able to maintain 30hz vsync is important in order to maintain smooth fluid flying, and that means being able to maintain an actual P3D frame rate of 30 fps + 10% min i.e. 33 fps.

And by fluid i mean like this Vid example where I'm flying the A2A Commanche

The 1070Ti provided for the following @ a 30 Hz vsync.

I was able to fairly significantly and reliably overclock the 1070Ti GPU and its ram speed, the 3080Ti is the opposite as it appears to be already set at the max it can reliably handle.

With my 1070Ti, 2 x SSAA, Medium / Low autogen draw distance, no cast vegetation shadows, no cast terrain shadows and at times no cast cloud shadows, low reflections, volumetric fog disabled, minimal cloud distance and shader otpions.

Most other settings were fairly maxed though, it's just anything more than the above graphical settings tended to drive the GPU to 98%+, which in P3D does result in a drop in frames and I would thus loose my very smooth 30Hz vsync.

With the 3080Ti it's possible to have everything graphical in the UI enabled and at max in ideal clear sky conditions.

For general use it's slightly tuned down settings wise, e.g. 4 x SSAA, no volumetric fog, Dynamic Reflections @ High and Autogen and scenary draw distance @ High, plus I use some custom cloud shaders that put about a 10 to 25% additional load on the GPU.

So does the 3080Ti allow for maximum settings of everything... that would be a no... as I can still easily drive it to 98%+ and have resulting frame drops.

Is it a great card anyway, yep and I've never had a more fluid experience with near maximum settings.

Has the card cost come down, absolutely, when I bought the 1070Ti it was $799.00 and I lamented I could not afford the 1080ti which at  the time was $1799.00.

Now I see 3080Ti's for $1449.00 AU and the highest price is $1999.00 AU, given inflation this makes the 3080Ti a great buy and actually more affordable than the 1080Ti in the past.

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/graphics-cards/geforcertx3080ti?page=1

So either there is a glut of cards, or dealers are trying to clear stock prior to a new card release such as the rumoured 4080Ti series with an also rumoured up to 80% more performance, which if true would mean I could run every graphical option at max 🙂

Cheers

Edited by Rogen
spelling
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

7 hours ago, Rogen said:

So either there is a glut of cards, or dealers are trying to clear stock prior to a new card release such as the rumoured 4080Ti series with an also rumoured up to 80% more performance, which if true would mean I could run every graphical option at max 🙂

I think both are true. There is a glut of cards now the supply is returning to somewhat pre-COVID levels and related to this the exorbitant prices of GPUs a fair number of people could not afford and of course with the rumored Nvidia 4xxx series coming, dealers want space for their new stock, hence are willing to offer attractive prices.

In general, it does raise another question or two in my mind about is it worth upgrading to the 4xxx series?

While there is likely to be a performance gain with the 4xxxx series, I would ask at what cost?
The PSU you will need to power one of these things will likely require more power thus meaning some systems will need another component purchase. Then once you have the 4xxx installed, its likely to generate even more heat (as compared to the 3xxx series cards) hence you will need a PC case and appropriate cooling to combat that (perhaps another component purchase/upgrade if your current system is not up to the task?)  and then on top, an increase in your electricity bill to look forward to  (+ inflation of course!) that makes running your PC more expensive.

For some I am sure they consider it's stlll worth doing, but for others, these additional factors also come into play which makes the decision often more difficult on whether its worth upgrading or not.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

7 hours ago, 787flyer said:

While there is likely to be a performance gain with the 4xxxx series, I would ask at what cost?

The PSU you will need to power one of these things will likely require more power thus meaning some systems will need another component purchase. Then once you have the 4xxx installed, its likely to generate even more heat (as compared to the 3xxx series cards) hence you will need a PC case and appropriate cooling to combat that (perhaps another component purchase/upgrade if your current system is not up to the task?)  and then on top, an increase in your electricity bill to look forward to  (+ inflation of course!) that makes running your PC more expensive.

In addition to a bigger PSU, it's also likely you'll need a bigger UPS, if you use one.

Additional cooling shouldn't be necessary if you select a card that exhausts out the rear of the case rather than into the case, or one of the hybrid water-cooled versions.

OTOH, if the increase in your electric bill is a consideration, $1500-$2000 for a video card is probably out of the question, too...

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I would think with your CPU/GPU combo your system is fairly well balanced.

Straight answer knowing my budget and desire to see meaningful performance gain when spending hundreds of $$$...I would not upgrade, especially since the 3060 has 12GB VRAM. All you will gain is some overhead that will allow higher settings for some eye candy with probably 10% - 15% fps increase (AT MOST - all dependent on settings you choose).

I upgraded from a 1070 to a new 3080 12GB for $799.00 a few weeks ago. I really struggled with the decision, because I knew with my 6700K I would see marginal if any gain in fps, but I knew I would be able to go pretty wild with eye-candy that doesn't stress the CPU - shadows, reflections, SSAA anti-aliasing, clouds - while at the same time I knew I wouldn't be able to increase TLOD at all because I was already mostly mainthread limited even with the humble 1070.

I strongly considered a used 1080ti, which benches stronger than a 3060, but with some of the new tech that only works on rtx series I decided to buy a new 3080 - the results show it was the right decision.

My goal is to updrade MB and CPU to a 12700K, which is another reason I didn't choose the 1080ti, because I knew I would be disappointed I didn't spent a couple hundred more and get better performance and later gen tech.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Hey guys, thanks for all the comments.

I currently fly at 1440p or 2K resolution as I have a 2K monitor.

Clouds seem to be my biggest performance hit although I use 512 DXT5 clouds (using Env text and Env shade).