Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Will current ORBX for Xplane work (you think?) in XP12?

As we all anticipate with plastic in hand,  I wonder if all my current ORBX Xplane titles, will work from day one,  in XP12?  Also...I wonder if I will still need all my many GB's of Ortho4XP custom generated tiles.  Will the XP12 generic scenery tiles be good enough to be not too synthetic looking,  and repeating looking?   Finger tapping on the desktop, coffee in hand...and wondering the above....  🙂

Edited by Sesquashtoo

I believe so yes, they stated as much. Though I also believe it needs to be re-cut / re-made along the costlines to get the new coast effects and not sure how it works with the trees / seasons, if that's gonna be a native part. 

• Like 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I wouldn't get too excited about global scenery improvements. Added autogen and maybe a bit higher res mesh and vectordata, but it's all a thing of storage space in a non streaming environment. I haven't heard f improved textures - something X-Plane would really benefit from.

I sure hope ORBX will be compatible (I plan to get the 200GB SoCal pack when XP12 releases). Mind you ORBX has probably been part of the beta and should be prepared.

Also I hope all of Mister x's stuff (Short Final Design) will be compatible, especially the airports and the global autogen package.

Not worried really as all developers should be "in" on the changes needed for XP12.

Also I have a cold bottle ready to celebrate not having to install any unfinished or subpar weather add-on this time around.

The only thing that will be annoying as always is getting air traffic up and running. Any recs? Thinking about reverting to WT3.5 but I've been out of the loop for a while (not that MSFS has any decent traffic add-on).

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

6 minutes ago, Sethos said:

I believe so yes, they stated as much. Though I also believe it needs to be re-cut / re-made along the costlines to get the new coast effects and not sure how it works with the trees / seasons, if that's gonna be a native part. 

So, I guess that we would have to wait out ORBX...and the point of that...would they (those that hold the coin sachets)  even invest time, to work the current titles,  in regards to their energy towards MSFS title production and make-over.   If XP12 was that mind blowing, I think that I would totally delete my XP11 folder...so that is the quandary.  I feel from seeing the teasers, and reading the discussions, that XP12 will be a jump across the ocean...and not merely the pond, like from XP10 to XP11.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

I wouldn't get too excited about global scenery improvements. Added autogen and maybe a bit higher res mesh and vectordata, but it's all a thing of storage space in a non streaming environment. I haven't heard f improved textures - something X-Plane would really benefit from.

I sure hope ORBX will be compatible (I plan to get the 200GB SoCal pack when XP12 releases). Mind you ORBX has probably been part of the beta and should be prepared.

Also I hope all of Mister x's stuff (Short Final Design) will be compatible, especially the airports and the global autogen package.

Not worried really as all developers should be "in" on the changes needed for XP12.

Also I have a cold bottle ready to celebrate not having to install any unfinished or subpar weather add-on this time around.

The only thing that will be annoying as always is getting air traffic up and running. Any recs? Thinking about reverting to WT3.5 but I've been out of the loop for a while (not that MSFS has any decent traffic add-on).

Well, if that is the case...then I'd have to see, if I could merely link all my HUNDREDS of GB's of created (hi res)  Ortho4XP tiles...into XP12.   I hope then, that that would be merely that...linking...and flying.

Edited by Sesquashtoo

4 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Traffic Global is a good option. No setup before flight like World Traffic. Install and forget.  Comes with radar, flight schedule, and airport diagram.  

3 hours ago, Randall said:

Traffic Global is a good option. No setup before flight like World Traffic. Install and forget.  Comes with radar, flight schedule, and airport diagram.  

I love Traffic Global in XP11 and it seems to not impact FPS or very little....sure hope it works in XP12 as well.

4 hours ago, Randall said:

Yeah I bought that right before my MSFS relapse. But the Win version with no option to get a Mac version. Wrote an E-Mail to .org store support, never got a reply.

-

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

Yeah I bought that right before my MSFS relapse. But the Win version with no option to get a Mac version. Wrote an E-Mail to .org store support, never got a reply.

How do you like it?  It looks interesting to me....

23 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

How do you like it?  It looks interesting to me....

Traffic Global is amazing 👌👍

11 hours ago, Beerz said:

Traffic Global is amazing 👌👍

I looked at it yesterday...and will probably buy it...but,  I'm going to wait for XP12...and see what's up with the title, for that beast... :)

• Like 1

I bought the OrbX True Earth PNW for XPlane 11 when it was released, and that scenery was already looking quite good in XPlane 11. I would really love to see how it would look like in XPlane 12 with the new clouds, autogen and lighting. But I'm not sure OrbX will be willing to update such products to full XP12 compatibility for free... I might be pessimistic here, I know...

1 hour ago, Daube said:

I bought the OrbX True Earth PNW for XPlane 11 when it was released, and that scenery was already looking quite good in XPlane 11. I would really love to see how it would look like in XPlane 12 with the new clouds, autogen and lighting. But I'm not sure OrbX will be willing to update such products to full XP12 compatibility for free... I might be pessimistic here, I know...

The way I see it XP11>XP12 is just a sticker change to advertise some major updates like new planes and weather. It is still X-Plane, same architecture, same structure ect. - I don't see any reason why there'd be more than a patch required to make these sceneries XP12 compatible - I think charging something for that would be an offense. 

• Like 1

-

I hope you are right. I really enjoyed flying the Bell-412 in VR over that area. The small hospital heliport in Darrington Mun. was my favorite starting location 🙂 However in XP11 I always had to fly with clear skies, since clouds would create flickering shadows on ground... Hopefully the new cloud tech in XP12 will prevent that.

1 hour ago, Daube said:

I hope you are right. I really enjoyed flying the Bell-412 in VR over that area. The small hospital heliport in Darrington Mun. was my favorite starting location 🙂 However in XP11 I always had to fly with clear skies, since clouds would create flickering shadows on ground... Hopefully the new cloud tech in XP12 will prevent that.

I think Orbx will make some subtle changes that will allow some of the new vegetation and trees to show through as well as some of the new tech to allow for seasonal changes to appear that would further enhance the scenery. I can seen some rework in that area on some of the already existing titles, especial in the Northwest. There is a lot of potential for 3P updates that will improve the appear of their already release scenery while the jury is still out on the default autogen, it will still make things interesting with the lighting and the weather system.