Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Those blurries are killing me.

Guest CDAhmedEH

Before I start my 'complaints' here are my specs Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180Memory (RAM): 2048 MBCPU: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+CPU Speed: 2177.4 MHzSound card: Realtek AC97 AudioDisplay Adapters: ALL-IN-WONDER X800 Series | ALL-IN-WONDER X800 Series Secondary | RADEON 7000 SERIES | UltraMon Display Mirror Driver | RADEON 7000 SERIES | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DDScreen Resolution: 1280 X 1024 - 32 bit: Network Adapters: Bluetooth PAN Network Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport | Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller - Packet Scheduler MiniportCD / DVD Drives: E: TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S182F | F: HL-DT-STCD-RW GCE-8520B | G: NC5653A BAC020H | H: NC5653A BAC020H | I: NC5653A BAC020H | J: NC5653A BAC020H: COM Ports: COM3 | COM4 | COM5 | COM6 | COM7 | COM8 | COM9 | COM10 | COM11 | COM12 | COM13 | COM2LPT Ports: LPT1Mouse: 5 Button Wheel Mouse PresentHard Disks: C: 74.5GB | D: 232.9GBHard Disks - Free: C: 30.4GB | D: 119.7GBUSB Controllers: 5 host controllers.Firewire (1394): Not Detected: Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.Product Make: System Product Name: AC Power Status: OnLineBIOS Info: ATAT COMPATIBLE 031506 A M I 3000615Time Zone: Eastern Standard TimeBattery: No BatteryMotherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. A8VModem: Bluetooth Fax ModemBluetooth DUN ModemBluetooth LAP ModemBluetooth LAP Modem #2I've been tweaking alot my FSX and i'm getting nice framerates everywhere however I get blurries very very often. example : I'm flying at 280 knots at lets say 1000 ft. The textures appears nice and sharp. As I advance there is a distinct line between clear texture and slightly blurry. Then I keep advancing and another distinct line appears between slight blurry texture and the more blurry textures. This keeps happening until I reach VERY VERY blurry texture. If I pause and wait for a minute or two, its crisp again. For this phenomenon to happen (clear to blurry) usually takes about 60 seconds at 250 kts. What I tried to fix the problem :1. Tried to set the terrain texture to 5m, still no avail, it keeps getting blurrier and blurrier.2. Tried to set the Fiber Time Fraction setting to 0.90. Still no avail.3. Tried to limit the FPS to 10. Still no avail }(What I know :1. According to the MemStatus tool, 70% of my video memory is being used when FSX is running, meaning that it isn't overloaded.2. According to the MemStatus tool, only 60% of my RAM is being used, meaning that I have enough RAM.3. There isn't much hard drive activity because the HD led flashes for 1 or 2 milliseconds every 10 seconds. I didn't try a defrag yet, but the defrag tool tells me that my HD is only 10 or 11 fragmented.What I need to know :1. What is causing the problem2. And, HOW DO I FIX IT ?Thanks

Guest YEGspotter

Unfortunately, I don't think there's much you can do, aside from buying a faster CPU. I have a similar system (slightly quicker CPU and newer video card) and I also have these problems. I've tweaked and tweaked and tweaked, and I still have blurries. From everything that's been posted, I think most people are in agreement that FSX is seriously CPU bound and those of us with only "adequate" CPU's will struggle with these blurry problems until we upgrade. That being said, there are some people with high end Core2Duo's and Quad-Cores that are experiencing blurries, so there is quite possibly some unresolved problems with the FSX code. I wish I could help you out, but unfortunately I'm stumped too.... What is it?? Misery loves company???cheers

Guest CDAhmedEH

WOW ! I thought that the blurries had to do with the hard drive speed limitations or the video ram or something. I'm sure that there is something wrong with the FSX code. I remember that in FS2002 and FS2004 I wouldn't get blurries even at 600 knots. From what I read on the blogs, the blurry problem is being researched (can someone clarify this ?). I think its something that has to do with the fact that FSX is not calling the scenery to get refreshed. I seems that it loads once for a large area and once you reach that area, it doesn't reload anymore. In FS2002 and FS2004 if I zoomed out very far, I would see blurry texture at the ends. When I moved forward, new textures would load in the front and the ones in the rear get thrown back. Its weird that in FSX when I zoom out all the way, no FPS hit. In FS2002 and FS2004, when I zoomed out all the way, the FPS went down (maybe because its trying to reload some textures)...

Guest YEGspotter

I believe Phil Taylor said "we're taking a look at it..." That being said, I wouldn't expect quick resolution. If anything, the DX10 patch due out later this year, may address this problem (or it may not - no one knows). There was a lengthy document posted by Phil on his blog, regarding blurries and 3D graphics in general. Unfortunately, I don't have the link handy right now - there is a post containing the link somewhere in the FSX forums....cheers

Guest CDAhmedEH

I remember that there was a 5 page thread about the Type 1 and 2 blurries (the ones I am experiencing). It seems that they are 'investigating'. I also read the blurry type 3 (filtering issue) PDF, that's not what I'm experiencing. Also, I've seen that many people that were saying that blurries are being caused by the fact that the computer being overloaded, but the memstatus tool shows otherwise. I've seen on the long 5 page thread about the type 1/2 blurries a user that had a very very powerful system (Core 2 Duo, 8800GTX and 4GB RAM) who put all his slider to the left except the texture terrain slider set to 1m. He was still experiencing blurries. Apparently, blurring didn't happen in FSX RTM, I can't really remember but I'm sure that there is something with new way that FSX SP1 handles textures. I hope that they get it fixed really soon. I don't want to go back to FS2004 or switch to X-Plane for my 'flying' fix.

Yeah... I thought I tweaked it and brought it to a reasonable level. and yesterday..I flew from Denver to Aspen to experience the very nice Aerosoft's Aspen airport scenery.... and I was having around 19FPS and as I came close to the airport to land.. It was a blurry mess. Messed up a nice airport scenery and approach. I would rather have had 10FPS at that point in time without the blurries (Pre SP1). Blurries for FPS is way too high price to pay.One of the reason I wanted extra FPS is so I can fly faster close to the ground and not worry about blurries when using Photo sceneries. Oh wellMAnny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest CDAhmedEH

The question I'm asking myself is why is the texture swapping in FSX so so so so slow. In older versions of Flight Simulator it was nearly instant, never saw such a blurry mess. No other Flight Simulator has that problem; X-Plane, FlightGear and so on... I really think that M$ should reject the whole idea of texture swapping or at least make it faster. I remember in FS98, I would slew at like 20000 knots and not a single blur (and that was on a medium end system at the time). Right now, I assigned the refresh scenery to tab+s to reload the scenery when I see a blurry mess. By the way, is anyone not experiencing blurries even at high speeds (make sure you know what they are in the first place). What kind of specs do you have ? What kind of tweaks did you use ? What are your settings ?Hope this gets fixed soon, I really want to enjoy FSX as I used to enjoy all the previous Flight Simulator version. Clear ground and beautiful smoothness. Lets all hope that THE MAGIC TWEAK FIX THING or another patch comes around soon !

Guest Vilk

THE_MAGIC_TWEAK_FIX_THING=1

>THE_MAGIC_TWEAK_FIX_THING=1Whoohoo issue resolved!!!!

>1. Tried to set the terrain texture to 5m, still no avail, it keeps >getting blurrier and blurrier.>2. Tried to set the Fiber Time Fraction setting to 0.90. Still no >avail.>3. Tried to limit the FPS to 10. Still no avail Hmm... Which virus scanner do you use ? I changed from Avast to the Microsoft LiveOneCare 90 days trial and FSX loads and runs now much better. It looks like this program leaves the sim completely alone.The best performance regarding texture loading you'll get (IMO) with FSX on an own hard drive where the files are placed on the outer tracks. Defrag those with the O&O (trail version) by file name. It was such an improvement that i purchased O&O.Maybe not the silver bullet, but worth a try. It works great for me. And yes, your CPU is a bottle neck with FSX...Heiko

Guest tmilton

>>The best performance regarding texture loading you'll get>(IMO) with FSX on an own hard drive where the files are placed>on the outer tracks. Defrag those with the O&O (trail version)>by file name.The outer tracks? How can you specify where on the hard drive (the physical location) the FSX data gets placed? Is this even possible to predetermine the actual sectors?BTW, thanks for the 0&0 suggestion Heiko, I will give it a try. :-)

Sorry for the confusion... :) I meant when you use a hard drive only for FSX (with nothing else on) the files will be placed automatically on the outer, faster tracks. When you are using only one hard disk for everything - with Ultimate Defrag you can specify which files you want to place outside. I purchased both, Ultimate Defrag and O&O, but like i said, the best result i get with a separate FSX only HDD and a O&O defrag by filename. Heiko

Guest mz-cd

I am at the moment using Tile Proxy with a cfg supplied by the author and I do not get blurries and only an occaisional stutter.HOWEVER before turning to TP I like everyone else was suffering from blurries and like everyone else tweaked untill I was all tweaked out, my head was done.I asked myself the question if the tweaks did not work why have them?I deleted the cfg and allowed FSX to rebuild a new one.I then inserted DisablePreload=1 and set my Tex Max Load to 1024 and nothing else and guess what NO BLURRIES.So there may well be a case for some of us NOT to add these alleged magical tweaks, try without.I too am concerned about my CPU being inadequate and am going to get an Athlon 64 4800 dual core [which is compatible with my motherboard]My System [in brief]ASUS A8N-E M/BAthlon 64 3200+ [overclocked by 10% running at 2200]Ati RX800 TD256E Graphics Card3GB of RAMRegardsRichard

Guest mjtibbs
THE_MAGIC_TWEAK_FIX_THING=1
^^LOL