Sign in to follow this  
cobalt

Server issue

For the last 24 hours I have been unable to activate satellite streaming data. I get the message that my internet connection is poor and that I am being switched to offline mode, even though the connection is is actually quite good (120 Mbps). Anyone else have this problem?

Try starting MFS from inside the Windows XBox Applicaton.

This happened to me mayb twice since I started using MFS more than 1 yr ago, and on both occasions starting it from XBox fixed the problem.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

27 minutes ago, cobalt said:

Thanks -- I tried this, but no luck.

Sometimes if MSFS detects your internet connection is poor, you can still be running a very good internet connection - 120 Mbps in your case - but there could be some log jam between the MSFS server and your home.  The internet is pretty complicated, and unfortunately, you can't control slowdowns on the route between the MSFS server and your home.  Here is a diagram of how the internet works: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/security-of-the-internet/bgp/.  All it takes is some type of congestion on one of the hops along the route, and your 120 Mbps connection is at the mercy of the hop that is congested.

One way you can change the route and avoid the hop that is congested is by picking a different server in MSFS to connect to.  You will likely get a new route, but hopefully, the congestion isn't close to your end, in which case switching to a different MSFS server doesn't fix the congestion that is close to your end.  Another alternative to force a different route is to use VPN and select a different country, which would likely force a different route between the MSFS server and your home.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

13 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Another alternative to force a different route is to use VPN and select a different country, which would likely force a different route between the MSFS server and your home.

Agree. Sometimes this can help. 

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

OK, problem solved, at least for the moment, though I don't know what caused it in the first place -- possibly a server issue though I can't confirm that. As I said before, even though I have a good internet connection, MSFS kept telling me I didn't, and switching me to offline mode (which also turns off the Bing mapping of course). The cure was to turn ON the online functionality, apply and save; then turn ON Bing data, apply and save -- in two steps. Turning both functions on simultaneously doesn't work, which took me a while to realize. But lesson learned. I will also keep your suggestions in mind for the future. Many thanks for those.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, cobalt said:

OK, problem solved, at least for the moment, though I don't know what caused it in the first place -- possibly a server issue though I can't confirm that. As I said before, even though I have a good internet connection, MSFS kept telling me I didn't, and switching me to offline mode (which also turns off the Bing mapping of course). The cure was to turn ON the online functionality, apply and save; then turn ON Bing data, apply and save -- in two steps. Turning both functions on simultaneously doesn't work, which took me a while to realize. But lesson learned. I will also keep your suggestions in mind for the future. Many thanks for those.

I had to do the same recently when I lost my ground textures.  Seems to have been a one-off...  Hopefully.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, cobalt said:

OK, problem solved, at least for the moment, though I don't know what caused it in the first place -- possibly a server issue though I can't confirm that.

The servers have been flaky lately... I am running into the same problem.

Bert

I have had this problem many times - here in OZ a long way from MS.

But what I have found is that I do not have the 'low bandwidth' problem if I run the Google maps application - most times when I forget to enable it I get the dreaded message - reboot the computer & turn the google maps on & problem fixed.

hopes that is maybe a fix for some people

Edited by Rattso
forgot 'is'

Rattso

Cooler Master Cosmos 700M - Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme D5 - intel i9-12900K(water cooled) - 128gb Corsair Vengeance 5200 D5 - Gigabyte Asorus 4090 waterforce - EVGA 2000W P/S - Creative AE-7 - intel Optane 500gb - 3x 2tb M2 SSDs - 2x 2tb Samsung EVO SSDs - 1x Hybrid 2tb HDD - Thrustmaster Warthog - Honeycombe Bravo quadrant - Thrustmaster TPR pedals - MFG Crosswind - Samsung Oddesy Ark - G9 49" monitor

Right now, I'm on the South East Asia server to avoid any issues with MSFS.
Because I have moderate confidence in their servers at the moment...

Besides, how does it change in the game to be on the South Asia server with 158ms written and Europe with 37ms ?
I don't see any difference in the game ?

I will report that this issue has resurfaced this morning -- i.e. a false "low bandwidth" warning, which I fixed as before -- by turning online functionality off, saving, turning on again, saving, and turning on Bing graphics. IMHO, this points definitely to a server issue, unless someone has a better idea. It's good to know how to fix it, but that this problem keeps popping up is annoying to say the least.