Sign in to follow this  
Dellav8r

What kind of performance should I be getting

I recently upgraded my cpu/mobo from a i7-7700 to a i7-12700k and it is paired with a 3060ti. However I feel like I cant turn anything settings up. I have a most settings at a medium/high. All drivers are updated but I feel like I am not getting the performance I should be like better ground graphics, smoother gameplay, etc etc. Im just curious on if I had my expectations up to high??

Well my friend, that's a very vague statement. We need more data. Where are you flying from? What airplane? what are your settings? how much fps are you getting now? How much fps were you getting before? etc etc.

• Like 1

Juan Ramos

Here is a similar system running 4K everything maxed in game (DX11, SU9, TLOD 400, No DOF or Motion Blur) at EGLL in a Baron G58. Image is washed out as I was using HDR and the non HDR image washed out the HW Monitor window.

52059236121_c96336100b_k.jpg

• Like 1

Alienware Aurora R13, i9 12900K, Z690, 3080ti, 64GB DDR5, 2TB NVMe

7 hours ago, Dellav8r said:

I should be like better ground graphics, smoother gameplay, etc etc. Im just curious on if I had my expectations up to high??

su10 coming soon. It made a world of difference on my system (much better performance than SU9), I'm talking about the beta of course. It's only going to take you 15 minutes to jump up to the beta. I always nab any beta when available. Never had a problem.

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

16 hours ago, xender said:

Well my friend, that's a very vague statement. We need more data. Where are you flying from? What airplane? what are your settings? how much fps are you getting now? How much fps were you getting before? etc etc.

Sorry was trying to get the question out fast yesterday lol Let’s just say flying from KATL using the FBW-320 using medium/some high settings with around 30 terrain detail, I will be getting something like 15fps. While in the air it’s fine no problems. I could just be complaining cause I had some expectations where no stutters or no low fps??

15 hours ago, Maladoror said:

Here is a similar system running 4K everything maxed in game (DX11, SU9, TLOD 400, No DOF or Motion Blur) at EGLL in a Baron G58. Image is washed out as I was using HDR and the non HDR image washed out the HW Monitor window.

52059236121_c96336100b_k.jpg

This is the kinda performance I would be thinking I could get Or something close. I prolly won’t be in 4K though 

21 minutes ago, Dellav8r said:

This is the kinda performance I would be thinking I could get Or something close. I prolly won’t be in 4K though 

You need to make sure your video card is not sending data too often to your cpu. At low settings your video card is not doing too much work and will inundate your cpu. At high settings the video will take longer to render the scene and not send data the cpu as often. Find that balance for your system. Crank up your settings and render scale until you are slightly gpu bound. 

• Like 1

Alienware Aurora R13, i9 12900K, Z690, 3080ti, 64GB DDR5, 2TB NVMe

1 hour ago, Maladoror said:

You need to make sure your video card is not sending data too often to your cpu. At low settings your video card is not doing too much work and will inundate your cpu. At high settings the video will take longer to render the scene and not send data the cpu as often. Find that balance for your system. Crank up your settings and render scale until you are slightly gpu bound. 

I will give it a shot, thanks for your input 

21 hours ago, Dellav8r said:

I recently upgraded my cpu/mobo from a i7-7700 to a i7-12700k and it is paired with a 3060ti. However I feel like I cant turn anything settings up. I have a most settings at a medium/high. All drivers are updated but I feel like I am not getting the performance I should be like better ground graphics, smoother gameplay, etc etc. Im just curious on if I had my expectations up to high??

I have used this methodology in the past, As Maladoror mentioned try and load your GPU as much as possible. You didn't mention your resolution. 2K would be a good place to start (Not sure the 3060TI could handle 4K) then do the following:

1st
adjust all your settings to the highest level you'd like to get…
Apart From

Render Scaling
TLOD
OLOD

Turn VSYNC on set to 30

Once you have set all the settings to your liking, try to get them as high as possible

set your render scale to 100% and both your level of detail sliders to the same value…try 150 as a start. Do this whilst on the ground in the cockpit of maybe the Cessna 172 at a busy detailed airport. Look at the two areas on your dev screen…the mainthread and gpu

If your main is mainly red adjust level of detail sliders back a bit (TLOD & OLOD) look at your gpu…the aim is to get around 30ms
if the figure is lower…increase the render scaling up by 5% and save and resume.
Look at the figures again…don't concern yourself with the numerical figure in main thread…just want it yellow…if still red slide the level of detail back a little more, each time check the gpu figure, if you're climbing closer to 30 great…

It takes a little playing back and forth

Eventually you should see a new render scaling shown at the top and the actual size your screen is set to. This scaling along with the other settings you chose at the beginning forces the main load to be on the gpu and NOT the cpu…
the cpu can play catchup with the over head you've given it thus making your sim very smooth.

Below is an example of what you are looking for (Bear in mind I have a stronger GPU)

Of course you do not have to lock your fps at 30 if you do not want to, it is all about finding the sweet spot for your own hardware. Since I took that screenshot below I decided to set a custom refresh rate on my 4K TV of 50Hz and I now lock to 50fps which I can easily maintain in complex aircraft like the PMDG or Fenix. Using Riva tuner's on screen display you can fine tune your sim. Ideally you want the frame time graph to be as flat and smooth as possible. 

4OSxG9B.jpg

Edited by RJC68

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

22 hours ago, Dellav8r said:

I recently upgraded from an i7-6770K / 1070 Ti based system to an i9-11900K 3080Ti based system and to be honest, I was pretty underwhelmed by the outcome, with FS2020 performance only marginally better. However, an independent CineBench test gave the new system a score over 2.5x higher than the old one.

My question is how did you (re)install FS2020 - did you backup your old installation or download from scratch ?

Initially I took the former option and all seemed to go well - apart from the disappointing performance. So after much tweaking with no real improvements, I decided to uninstall and reinstall from scratch.

Well, about six hours later FS2020 was a completely different experience. I had bench-marked a number of scenarios and after replaying them, FPS were considerably higher and far more stable.

So for me, it was all down to the installation. 

On 9/4/2022 at 2:29 PM, Dellav8r said:

Need to find correct settings.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

The 3600ti is almost as good as a 3700. I had a 2600 super which is quite a bit below performance of either and an Ryzen 5 3600. I never ran in 'some medium and some high' nor in terrain LOD 30. I ran in the overall preset Ultra and 100 for both LODs and about 130 on the Render scale, and I think I got much better fps than you reported. I say "I think" because I never flew the FBW 320 nor near KATL. But I never saw anything as low as 15 fps, like you're getting. (I was using a 1080p monitor however). I did down to maybe 17 or 18 in the first Heathrow by inibuilds and while right on the ramp at JFK. But when I flew down low right through the skyscrapers on Manhattan after leaving JFK it was about 28 to 31.

Lots of good advice above about settings, SU 10 may work wonders like it did for me, but something seems very wrong with the numbers you are reporting. 

By the way, SU 10 beta worked wonders for me when using the old system specs above. Only after I was running the beta a few days did I upgrade my cpu and gpu. The 3600ti is not far below the 3070 I run, almost the same performance judging by online tests that I see. The 3600 non ti is far, far less of a video card than any of those. 

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Your right, the 3060 TI is almost the same as the 3070, I misread / missed the "TI" part in his post.

Game should be fine with the 3060 TI, bad settings probably.
The 3060 TI and 3070 is right where I think things start to get good performance wise (most of the time).

Besides settings though, just depends where all he is flying, also it depends on his view.
If you fly with certain camera views or outside the cockpit (in some cases), you will get much worse frame rates.

So it's hard to gauge, even zooming in a cockpit can significantly affect the FPS, as well as plugins.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I just put a 3080 in my PC...  It is much better, and so far no CTDS which were happening all the time with my AMD card... but not as good as I thought. Still 30 FPS in heavy areas with weather... 45 ish clear skies in cruise. Looking forward to SU10.