Sign in to follow this  
Twenty6

Kodiak 10-10-22 update throttles

Anyone figure out the new throttles for this updated SWS Kodiak in AAO? Would appreciate some help in the form of "Axis and Ohs for Dummies."

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Not any direct help, but just to confirm that I have exactly the same issue - only days after I had figured out how to have the throttle axis manage reverse thrust with Axes and Ohs... so I had one flight where it was perfect, and was super exited to see the update.. and now I cannot for the life of me figure out how to even manage the basic throttle.

My guess is that since this axis (as in this lever on the actual plane console) is two stage, that SWS have some custom axis for it now, which needs to be programmed in as a script (as with the fuel levers overhead) - but for now I'm stumped also.

It was exactly the same with the update that brought engine failures - 'here's an update - go install it, but we're not going to tell you that the update will break your plane or tell you how to fix it'

But it's such a lovely plane to fly...

Well - here is the answer - from SWS support-

As of version 1.3.3 my throttle is reversed. What's up?

Users of FSUIPC/SPAD who had created custom throttle assignments are likely to have this problem. The Kodiak now has custom throttle code to control the power lever, so these users will need to refer to the new L:vars document in order to get their custom throttles to work correctly. The custom throttle now uses a range of +100 to -100 percent which corresponts to max power through full reverse, with 0 being idle.

So - I now need to go and try to figure out what L:vars is all about.

This is not entirely accurate. The LVar is probably only for the animation of the lever, and it doesn't really work (AFAIK). The problem seems to be the same for all external controller apps.

After finally getting the update, I've looked at the behavior code. The Kodiak now uses a BVar to control the throttle. So in AAO you create a BVar mapping and bind your lever to that, using a range from -100 to 100. 
Check the AAO manual for instructions about how to create BVar mappings.

Here is my mapping:
LVar: (L:KodiakThrottle, Number)
BVar get: (B:SWS_ENGINE_Lever_Power_1)
BVar set: (L:KodiakThrottle, Number) (>B:SWS_ENGINE_Lever_Power_1_Set)

Be aware though that a BVar mapping has a slower update rate than the normal axis events. Move the throttle lever slowly for precise control.

52424931208_6f83b1e2e3_z.jpg

52424699664_3ee0982243_z.jpg

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Was about to post what I'd found from the manual, but I'm now going to try this directly..

I have to say thanks for an amazing product - and I'm hugely impressed that you have added this here..

I am a VR exclusive user - so for me it's not about having real world gauges follow what's going on in-sim (cause I can only see what's going on in-sim) - but Axes and Ohs allows for both the best fine-detail mapping of all my Virpil gear, and the best way of dealing with individual mapping per plane that I have come accross..

How to implement this:

1. AAO running, MSFS NOT running
2. In AAO, go to "Extras->Map BVars to LVars (MSFS)"
3. Enter "Kodiak" into the "Profile name" box, press the "Add as new" button next to it.
4. Select "Kodiak" from the "Select profile" dropdown at the top
5. Enter the variables exactly as shown above into the text boxes at the bottom. You can copy&paste them from my post.
6. Press the "Add as new" button next to the textboxes, the completed script will show up in the big textbox
7. Press "Activate profiles" at the bottom of the screen.
8. "Close" the screen
9, Open "Extras->Map Bvar Profiles to aircraft (MSFS)"
10. Select "Kodiak" in the list on the left, find and select your Kodiak AAO configuration in the list on the right.
11. Press "Map" - the list on the right should now read "[Kodiak]...aircraftliveryname...."
(11.5 do this for all Kodiak liveries that you have AAO configurations for)
12. Press "Apply"
14. "Close" the dialog
15. Shut down AAO.

Now start the sim, then start AAO. When sitting in the cockpit of the Kodiak, bind your throttle lever to the LVar as shown in the screenshot above.

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

Can I ask - would this be the same way to manage the VOR gauges on the Cessna 152 (I can drive the VOR gauge directly from an encoder wheel, but as soon as I turn the VOR gauge in-sim with the in-sim knob using the scroll wheel, the VOR gauge changes back to the position it was before I had turned it using my controller)

24 minutes ago, BoneDaddy said:

Can I ask - would this be the same way to manage the VOR gauges on the Cessna 152 (I can drive the VOR gauge directly from an encoder wheel, but as soon as I turn the VOR gauge in-sim with the in-sim knob using the scroll wheel, the VOR gauge changes back to the position it was before I had turned it using my controller)

Not sure. The basic avionics are normally using the default K: events. What are you using how to "drive" what exactly? Frequency? Heading? CDI/OBS course?

Then again, you never know what has been implemented in that particular aircraft. They are all different...

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Thanks for the reply.

Can I double back to the Kodiak issue - I've added the new profile, added the Bvar, per your note, mapped the profile.. basically followed the instructions... but in the sim, where I can now see loads of new L: variables - I cannot see the L:KodiakThrottle entry to map the throttle to -

I'm totally sure it's something I have not done correctly, but I can't see what - I can see the new profile, and I have mapped it back into the sim, and I have restarted the sim and A&O.. but no joy...

so close....

As far as the Cessna thing goes, I am trying to tune the VOR gauge with the 'OBS' knob 

http://TKco3q9.png

I can set buttons to INC or DEC VOR1 - and that works, but the knob doesn't move.

If I simply use my mouse to interact with the Obs knob, then the VOR rotates.

If I rotate the VOR with A&O, then use the mouse scroll wheel, the VOR dial first returns to where it was before I moved it, so my thought (as an A&O beginner) is that I have to find a way to rotate the VOR and the knob at the same time, but haven't figured out how to other than that it must be a variable..

1 hour ago, BoneDaddy said:

but in the sim, where I can now see loads of new L: variables - I cannot see the L:KodiakThrottle entry to map the throttle to -

What do you mean? The LVar name is entered manually on the Axis assignemnt dialog, as shown in my screenshot. You type it into the "Enter variable" textbox.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

1 hour ago, BoneDaddy said:

As far as the Cessna thing goes, I am trying to tune the VOR gauge with the 'OBS' knob 

http://TKco3q9.png

I can set buttons to INC or DEC VOR1 - and that works, but the knob doesn't move.

If I simply use my mouse to interact with the Obs knob, then the VOR rotates.

If I rotate the VOR with A&O, then use the mouse scroll wheel, the VOR dial first returns to where it was before I moved it, so my thought (as an A&O beginner) is that I have to find a way to rotate the VOR and the knob at the same time, but haven't figured out how to other than that it must be a variable..

I see.

I've analyzed the behavior code for this, and from my point of view, this is an error on Asobo's part. When they actuate their BVars, they are disregarding the simulator variable (which is (A:NAV OBS:1, Degrees) in this case) but they only change their BVar and then apply it back to the AVar. In essence they are creating a "parallel reality" where there is a second copy of the actual NAV radio OBS setting, that we can't access and that nobody knows about. Naturally, this behavior clashes with every app or gauge that uses the default simulator K: events, which change the AVar directly and don't bother with the BVar.

There is not a lot we as the users can do about that, this is a (IMHO major) fault in the BVar logic. 

One option for a work around would be to constantly overwrite the BVar with the value of the AVar. 
I would try to do that with a BVar-Mapping too:
LVar: 1
BVarGet: 0
BVarSet: (A:NAV OBS:1, Degrees) (>B:INSTRUMENT_Course_1_SET) (A:NAV OBS:2, Degrees) (>B:INSTRUMENT_Course_2_SET)

When this is active, it should constantly sync the actual NAV radio OBS/CDI course setting with the stupid BVars (sorry about that.). But this is off the top of my head, no guarantees.

Nope, doesn't work. The BVar_Set is also drawing on its own internal value. I'm afraid that there is nothing we can do about this, only Asobo can.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

This procedure works great for throttle control on my Bravo Throttle Quadrant including the animation. Any thoughts on how to include the button detent to trigger going into the negative range to do the beta and reverse?

32 minutes ago, HardCat55 said:

This procedure works great for throttle control on my Bravo Throttle Quadrant including the animation. Any thoughts on how to include the button detent to trigger going into the negative range to do the beta and reverse?

Create two Axis assignments in AAO (to the same physical lever and the same LVar), one with Axis Min 0 to Axis Max 100 and another with Axis Min -100 to Axis Max 0, one of them "reversed" the other not.
Then you assign a Combo button to both, with one of them "suppressed" - "toggle" mode is probably best here.

Maybe play around a bit with the axis borders if you don't want full travel for the reverser)

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

1 hour ago, Lorby_SI said:

What do you mean? The LVar name is entered manually on the Axis assignemnt dialog, as shown in my screenshot. You type it into the "Enter variable" textbox.

Apologies if that seemed totally obvious - I was using the 'plus' icon to the right of the field and scrolling through the available variables, assuming that KodiakThrottle should be on it. Again, very much a newb at this.

I have now typed it in, and copy/pasted from earlier, mapped to an input, which I can see moving in the main A&O window but still no movement of the throttle.