Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

Austin being Austin.

• Like 12

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Thought a turban was something you wore on your head !

• Like 1

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

So it seems Austin heard all the voices pleading for more active marketing of XPlane, and came up with a solution that is all.....Austin😀 Lovely stuff!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Flight Level TWO SEVEN OH ???? offensive initials not allowed ?

This guy is not allowed in Europe / EASA 🙂

I Lowwwwe Austinzzzzzz

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Ha ha, this is great. Got to love this guy's enthusiasm

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

At the start of that video I thought the eccentric genius had lost his typical flamboyance talking sensibility while wearing smart dark trousers and white shirt, however by the end of the video I was left in no doubt I had been mistaken !

Edited by jon b
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

I swtarted intweracting with Austin long long long ago, when X-Plane was a flight simulator with very basic, whitish only scenery as if it was snow covered all around... It costed way to much for my sim budget, but a demo has always been offered, so, I never missed a new version whenever it was made available.

Then, before X-Plane.org was born, he styarted posting at flightsim.com, if I'm not wrong and my mind doesn't trick me (which it often does these days... so much that IU had forgotten to uninstall MFS for more than one month 😋)

I used to write there about features I wanted to see implemented, bugs I thought I had found, etc... AT times he was really mad at me 🙂 poor Austin ... but! he always had great humor!!!

I remember that he had an old page where he used to post his adventures, like walks he used to make through the bushes, trying to find wild stuff, a hidde & seek travel to an Amish community, etc.... 

He has always been a healthy, inteligent, amusing, I'd say charming in some very peculiar way, person!

Sometimes he looks like he's been smoking stuff too 🙂

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

39 minutes ago, jcomm said:

I remember that he had an old page where he used to post his adventures, like walks he used to make through the bushes, trying to find wild stuff, a hidde & seek travel to an Amish community, etc.... 

He has always been a healthy, inteligent, amusing, I'd say charming in some very peculiar way, person!

He seems like a really cool guy. I think people like him make the world a more interesting place.

Whilst we are led to believe the world today is more accepting of people who think outside the box, I think in pratice, sadly it is often quite the opposite. 

Edited by steve310002
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, steve310002 said:

He seems like a really cool guy. I think people like him make the world a more interesting place.

Whilst we are led to believe the world today is more accepting of people who think outside the box, I think in pratice, sadly it is often quite the opposite. 

Indeed !  Lot's of cinycism in various fronts.

Austin has always been a very direct person. My interactions with him are mostly based on features I would like to see modelled in XP, aspects I find not modelled as I would like it to be, possible bugs... He is always ready to answer, investigate, sometimes promptly puting an end to the idea or clearly  postponing it to somewhere in the future where all other items with higher priority have already been dealt with... He often asks for facts, data, formulas, etc...

Edited by jcomm
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Just to be clear, my post was a light hearted comment and in no way a criticism, I always find the chap highly entertaining, even when explaining the driest of subjects.

As I’ve said before on here, I love the fact this simulator is the work of a flamboyant eccentric genius rather than a massive bland faceless corporation as seen elsewhere.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

I should have apologised in advance. I did think once/twice/three times again to even mention it.

But in the end decided its a wide enough issue that it was worth preempting with a hard dose of current issues for the usual hooligans we get, whenever the subject of Austins personality comes up.

Plus its a nice reminder for all of us to be more tolerant of the more eccentric sections of society, myself included.

Also, the video was a good watch.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

56 minutes ago, mSparks said:

I should have apologised in advance. I did think once/twice/three times again to even mention it.

Apologised for what @mSparks ? 

Main Simulation Rig:

50 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Apologised for what @mSparks ? 

Saying stuff that leaves you feeling like you were just hit in the face with a baseball bat.

There's something of an onboarding process for that kind of conversation and specific places to discuss it. Flightsim stuff isn't the place... In fact Flightsim is my escapism from it, worst it gets in flightsim is NTSB investigations (and many people can't even cope with those...)

AutoATC Developer

1 minute ago, mSparks said:

Saying stuff that leaves you feeling like you were just hit in the face with a baseball bat.

There's something of an onboarding process for that kind of conversation and specific places to discuss it. Flightsim stuff isn't the place... In fact Flightsim is my escapism from it, worst it gets in flightsim is NTSB investigations (and many people can't even cope with those...)

Honestly I have never read anything nasty from you?

I see you as a devoted / passionate / perfectionist / a bit too focused at times but nothing wrong with that, specially because I excel at that too 🙂, simmer ...

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

1 minute ago, jcomm said:

read anything nasty from you?

Yeah, cos you'll have only seen me discuss flightsim stuff, which is my escape from the very very nasty real world 🤣

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer