Sign in to follow this  
SeattlePilot

Thoughts on these TV's for my new sim set up

Good afternoon! Getting this ball rolling on my new simulator (Think I've decided on MSFS2020) ! I found these TV's, not a bad price. Thoughts on if they're a good fit? (I'm doing 3 - 55" TV's for kind of a wrap around in-cockpit feel)

LG - 55" Class UQ75 Series LED 4k

60Hz refresh rate

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-class-uq75-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6501939.p?skuId=6501939&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=366&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI556fyZD3-gIVYQOtBh3dCg1AEAQYASABEgIsavD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I use a Samsung 40" that I can change the refresh rate to 30hz and lock the FPS around the same and it works pretty well.

• Like 1

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

main thing is to make sure the TV has a Judder reduction setting for maximum Soap Opera Effect. Its like DLSS for free

• Like 1

I recently used an LG LED 4k with my old computer which has a GTX1080ti and I noticed a little lag.  I had a local computer guru build my new system which includes an RTX4090, and discussed this issue with him.  He noted that the best way to prevent the lag was to use an OLED TV, which I did, and the image is spectacular.  The problem is the cost.  I purchased a 55 inch LG OLED for $1,000.  Hisence has one available for about $750.  I purchased the LG TV from Bestbuy (though I can't stand Bestbuy) because I could pay for it through paypal which has a "pay in 4" deal which allowed me to pay for it in 4 payments without interest.  Mike Gutierrez, North Hollywood, California. 

Michael Gutierrez. North Hollywood, California

4 hours ago, FBW737 said:

main thing is to make sure the TV has a Judder reduction setting for maximum Soap Opera Effect. Its like DLSS for free

I don't even know what that is haha! I'll have to look into that.

10 minutes ago, mongo44 said:

I recently used an LG LED 4k with my old computer which has a GTX1080ti and I noticed a little lag.  I had a local computer guru build my new system which includes an RTX4090, and discussed this issue with him.  He noted that the best way to prevent the lag was to use an OLED TV, which I did, and the image is spectacular.  The problem is the cost.  I purchased a 55 inch LG OLED for $1,000.  Hisence has one available for about $750.  I purchased the LG TV from Bestbuy (though I can't stand Bestbuy) because I could pay for it through paypal which has a "pay in 4" deal which allowed me to pay for it in 4 payments without interest.  Mike Gutierrez, North Hollywood, California. 

Hmmmm...so maybe LED isn't the way to go eh?

I use 55 inch Samsung UN6900.

It has a setting called "judder reduction" in the Expert setting menu under the pictures Menu. If you set your refresh rate in NCP to 24hz with the Judder reduction filter set to 10 which is Maximum and have Vsync on in the sim, the TV will interpolate and generate its own extra frame in between each frame it recieves from the PC. So if the TV is getting 24fps from the system, which it will if refresh rate is set to 24 in NCP, you get 48fps on the TV. Likewise if you then set NCP to 30hz you will get 60fps on the TV screen. It's like DLSS but the TV does the work not the GPU. IMO its better than DLSS and it comes without all the Nvidia marketing BS.

Edited by FBW737

11 hours ago, SeattlePilot said:

I am using a Samsung 43" LED TV with no lag. So do a number of others.

• Like 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

13 hours ago, SeattlePilot said:

I am using a Samsung 47" curved 4K LED TV.  I have never noticed any lag. 

• Like 1

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

2 hours ago, SeattlePilot said:

Ok, so seems LED may be ok. Is 60Hz sufficient?

If you're dealing with 4K, then 60Hz is fine. You may struggle running anything higher with 4K. I run my monitor at 30Hz 4K and Vsync on in MSFS. 

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

On 10/25/2022 at 6:35 PM, rickjake said:

If you're dealing with 4K, then 60Hz is fine. You may struggle running anything higher with 4K. I run my monitor at 30Hz 4K and Vsync on in MSFS. 

Awesome thanks! And 4K 30Hz looks/works pretty nicely?

Does for me in P3D.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

good review of the 7000 series LGs https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/up7000

TLDR it supports Chroma 4:4:4 when the input is labeled as PC...this is vital for using a tv as a computer monitor. Pixel response is a tad slow but should be liveable especially if get them for a good price.

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor