Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

So mSparks, what your default R22 veredict ?

30 minutes ago, mSparks said:

yes removing the centering spring will do it.

I wrote some C for the pi pico (has 3 a2ds) to run as a joystick last year and 3d printed a lot of my cockpit stuff, still use the 3dpro for planes and the s76.

been trying to get force feedback working but its hard to drive enough force to be useful.

Yeah 3d printing your own stuff is pretty cool.

For FFB you would need the motors , I used have the sidewinder back in the 90s

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

5 hours ago, Humpty said:

For FFB you would need the motors , I used have the sidewinder back in the 90s

what blocked me wasnt so much the motors themselves.

It was that the 12V 8.5A power supply I got to drive them still wasnt really strong enough, 3D printed gears are pretty sloppy, and any kind of decent gearing ratio was too hard to backdrive..

Not a dead project, just sleeping.

AutoATC Developer

30 minutes ago, mSparks said:

what blocked me wasnt so much the motors themselves.

It was that the 12V 8.5A power supply I got to drive them still wasnt really strong enough, 3D printed gears are pretty sloppy, and any kind of decent gearing ratio was too hard to backdrive..

Not a dead project, just sleeping.

You get the motors for these

19 minutes ago, Humpty said:

You get the motors for these

More specifically I had several prototypes "working"

They were all just garbage performance.

e.g. the peak force needed on a Gazelle cyclic without hydraulics is 40kg/400Newtons (iirc), with hydraulics is a few grams with "bumps".

I didnt get remotely close to that range.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

17 minutes ago, mSparks said:

More specifically I had several prototypes "working"

They were all just garbage performance.

e.g. the peak force needed on a Gazelle cyclic without hydraulics is 40kg/400Newtons (iirc), with hydraulics is a few grams with "bumps".

I didnt get remotely close to that range.

Ouch that 40kg is too much , you might need the R1 motor 😁

1 hour ago, Humpty said:

Ouch that 40kg is too much , you might need the R1 motor 😁

I could get the force - but then the gear ratio was too high to back drive it sensibly (all other cases when there is nearly no force required)

Probably need to up the voltage to 24V or maybe even 48V, but not found/got round to sourcing a motor controller rated for that much voltage. Plan was to maybe outsource it on one of those contracting sites,  but now we also sponsor the local electrical engineering faculty, just need to get in there and see if someone can knock me something up.

Only so many hours in the day.

AutoATC Developer

2 minutes ago, mSparks said:

I could get the force - but then the gear ratio was too high to back drive it sensibly (all other cases when there is nearly no force required)

Probably need to up the voltage to 24V or maybe even 48V, but not found/got round to sourcing a motor controller rated for that much voltage. Plan was to maybe outsource it on one of those contracting sites,  but now we also sponsor the local electrical engineering faculty, just need to get in there and see if someone can knock me something up.

Only so many hours in the day.

Cool , let us know how it goes. All the best

• Like 1

VSKYLABS has a sale and both the R44 and R66 are 30% off. Which one of these is not as unstable as the R22 and better suited for the casual helicopter enjoyer?

Edited by Bjoern

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

1 hour ago, Bjoern said:

VSKYLABS has a sale and both the R44 and R66 are 30% off. Which one of these is not as unstable as the R22 and better suited for the casual helicopter enjoyer?

slightly different class of helis, 66 better meets your stability requirements. VSL R66 is a glass cockpit instead of standard six on their R44

https://www.avbuyer.com/articles/helicopter-comparisons/aircraft-comparative-analysis-robinson-r66-21219

also, all the robis POH's are available directly from Robinson.

https://robinsonheli.com/

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

7 hours ago, Bjoern said:

I got R66 recently, and I really enjoy it. I didn't found it more unstable than some other helis I have for XP11, and I'm a rookie, means I struggle more to make them hover. Be sure to get DHM soundpack for it, it's brilliant.

I also decided to try flying it without T16000M, as my hand couldn't stand pushing the flight stick for more that 5 minutes. So I attached my Quest 2 controller to a golf adapter (yep!), grabbed the cyclic with the Q2 controller, and started flying with it. Feels quite  realistic imo, holding a longer stick that doesn't have a spring force. I found myself able to hover for the first time longer than 2 seconds, and much more precise during takeoffs and landings.

il_794xN.3080277610_bxfk.jpg

Edited by Pe11e
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

20 hours ago, mSparks said:

slightly different class of helis, 66 better meets your stability requirements. VSL R66 is a glass cockpit instead of standard six on their R44

15 hours ago, Pe11e said:

I got R66 recently, and I really enjoy it. I didn't found it more unstable than some other helis I have for XP11, and I'm a rookie, means I struggle more to make them hover. Be sure to get DHM soundpack for it, it's brilliant.

Thanks, you two.

The sounds are too expensive for my taste and have not been updated in a year. So I'll pass on them.

13 minutes ago, Bjoern said:

The sounds are too expensive for my taste and have not been updated in a year. So I'll pass on them.

Same. Mildly annoying because I didn't notice how rough they were until reading the review.

Didnt notice before because I sim fly with the plane sound from speakers with atc through the headset, and helis are just "noisey as ....".

But there are other considerations, e.g. the closest thing the door makes to a noise is maybe a squeak from moving the locking mechansim on ones lacking grease, certainly never a slamming sound; samo nezno "just/only gently", one of the first things I learnt "the hard way" before even sitting in the pilot seat:

6 years ago... cries...

I suspect DIY is my only real option atm. On the plus side probably enough rw samples already to do it, just the time to find 

• Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

24 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Didnt notice before because I sim fly with the plane sound from speakers with atc through the headset, and helis are just "noisey as ....".

I have a single-output-device solution for that: https://github.com/JT8D-17/XLua-Utils-for-X-Plane#5.3

XLua Util's noise-cancelling headset module provides a customizable one-size-fits all solution to loud engines. It decreases engine, environment, exterior, fan, ground, interior, prop, warning and weather volume levels, while retaining the sound level of the co-pilot, master slider, radio and ui. The headset will only affect volume levels when inside a sound space (properly set up fmod soundsets) or in an interior view (fallback mode).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mSparks said:

I sim fly with the plane sound from speakers with atc through the headset

How can it be done?

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".